Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

So, I've bought the game, I've read the rules and am all ready for my first foray into Agricola.

All seems pretty straightforward except for one point, one that concerns Round 14. It says in the rules that only one family member can be placed on one action per round. However, towards the back of the rule book, in the section that specifically addresses action spaces, for Round 14 it seems to say that more than one person can take the 'After Renovation Also Fences' space so that more than one person can upgrade to a stone house. Have I understood this correctly? I cannot make it read any other way! And yet, if I am understanding correctly, it doesn't appear to be represented on the board or the Round 14 card?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one person may take this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

Just glanced at the rulebook, and it says that because there are now 2 renovation actions available (one printed on the board and one for round 14), two people can renovate. Only one person per space still, but because there are 2 possible spaces for renovating, two people can renovate.

Hope that's clear. Always only one worker allowed per space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you.

Still confused though! Where is the one printed on the board??? As far as I can tell, there's only a renovation action in Stage 2 (Rounds 5-7) and Round 14.

I'm sure that I am missing the bloody obvious, but cannot see how two actions are possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, I think I've got it.

The rule should really read that 'Round 14 is the only round of the game in which there are two renovation action spaces available (the first one having appeared in Stage 2)." Or something like that anyway.

The way it currently reads to me is like there are two actions available in Round 14.

Heigh ho.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I confused the "Add room(s)" space printed on the board with the renovate space. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was intrigued by your dilemma and so looked up the rule;

After Renovation, also Fences (Stage 6): Round 14 is the only round of the game in which there are 2 Renovation actions (so that more than one player can build a Stone house). A player must Renovate to be allowed to Fence pastures. Players may never perform both renovations (to a Clay hut and to a Stone house) with one action.

It will be much clearer once you have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

After Renovation, also Fences (Stage 6): Round 14 is the only round of the game in which there are 2 Renovation actions (so that more than one player can build a Stone house). A player must Renovate to be allowed to Fence pastures. Players may never perform both renovations (to a Clay hut and to a Stone house) with one action.

Wow, that's a rather useless and poorly written "explanation". OP, just ignore this section of the rule book entirely; it should never have been written and is wholly unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Wow, that's a rather useless and poorly written "explanation". OP, just ignore this section of the rule book entirely; it should never have been written and is wholly unnecessary.

It seems very clear and precise to me. Redundant yes, but very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The parenthetical about the stone house is completely unnecessary and potentially incredibly confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul New
msg tools

It is redundant so overall only muddies the waters.

There is no need to point out the fact that round 14 is the only spot where there are two renovate actions. Does the rulebook do this for the plowing due to the inboard plow space and the stage 4 plough and sow. Anyway, as a few posters have said, one person per action space (whether integrated onto board print or on a round card). Certain occupations allow for two people on the same action space, but best for you to get to grips with the main game mechanics first. Enjoy the game, it's sublime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I really don't read it as redundant at all.

//casual agricola player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boardpaul wrote:

There is no need to point out the fact that round 14 is the only spot where there are two renovate actions. Does the rulebook do this for the plowing due to the inboard plow space and the stage 4 plough and sow.

And this is exactly what created the confusion, i.e., the fact that, as you say, the rules do not do this for any other action. I do think that if considered necessary, then it could have been worded better.

Anyway, all clear now and so onward. I will be playing this with my kids and somewhat reluctant other half shortly. Looking forward to it.

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Handley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here's what I see as the ambiguity about Round 14: it's explicit on p. 10 that you can't renovate twice with a single action. On p. 5 of the rulebook, there's also a statement that "a double renovation from Wooden hut to Stone house in one turn is not allowed."

But what is a "turn" in Agricola?

(1) If a "turn" is an action, you can start Round 14 with a wooden hut, upgrade to a clay hut using one of the renovation spaces with one action, and then upgrade to a stone hut with one of your subsequent actions.

(2) If a "turn" is a round, you couldn't do that. This would explain the "(so that more than one player can build a stone house)" phrasing: ie., it could be emphasizing that the two renovations have to be used by two different players, rather than both by one.

I haven't found a ruling on this anywhere, but lean towards option (1)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michael5000 wrote:
Here's what I see as the ambiguity about Round 14: it's explicit on p. 10 that you can't renovate twice with a single action. On p. 5 of the rulebook, there's also a statement that "a double renovation from Wooden hut to Stone house in one turn is not allowed."

But what is a "turn" in Agricola?

(1) If a "turn" is an action, you can start Round 14 with a wooden hut, upgrade to a clay hut using one of the renovation spaces with one action, and then upgrade to a stone hut with one of your subsequent actions.

(2) If a "turn" is a round, you couldn't do that. This would explain the "(so that more than one player can build a stone house)" phrasing: ie., it could be emphasizing that the two renovations have to be used by two different players, rather than both by one.

I haven't found a ruling on this anywhere, but lean towards option (1)...

Option 1: a turn is a part of the round, usually(*) corresponding to 1 placement of a family member.

(*) modulo occs or imps that change this, or FotM special actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.