R S
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am looking for games that have similar mechanic to the Betrayal at House on the Hill. By this I mean there is a traitor element, but the traitor is not known at the beginning of the game. I know of Shadows over Camelot, Deep Space Disaster, Panic Station and Battlestar Galactica. Do you know of any other games with similar mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow over Camelot has the traitor right from the beginning, so I wouldn't think it was what you asked for. Otherwise you could include games like The Resistance, and The Resistance: Avalon. In the last one there is a variant where players can/do switch side depending on the outcome of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
msg tools
mbmbmb
When I said the traitor is not known at the beginning of the game, I thought also about games where the traitor knows he/she is a traitor at the beginning of the game, but other players do not know that. In other words, games where one player plays a revealed enemy from the beginning of the game (e.g. Last Night on Earth) do not count. You are right, The Resistance has a traitor element, but I thought about the games more complex than The Resistance, Bang! and Saboteur, but less complex than Battlestar Galactica. Sorry for not being very accurate in my original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf and any of its variants. This is almost strictly a social game, though. Where it sits on complexity varies depending on the exact variation and role-mix, but it's probably closer to the simpler side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game would be an obvious example

There are of course lots of games with a hidden traitor, especially Werewolf/Mafia ones and their offsprings. Changing teams is somewhat rare however
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur and one of the variants in Ca$h 'n Gun$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
In Red November players have the option of abandoning their fellow gnomes in the submarine, in which case they will only win if the submarine does not make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago has a possible traitor (the separatist is a random objective card that a player may not get in any given game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek the VCR game lets a player abandon ship and win if the remaining players fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lab Gnome
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Scott Rogers wrote:
Star Trek the VCR game lets a player abandon ship and win if the remaining players fail.

Kind of miss these kinds of games - especially since boardgames in general seem to have gotten much better since, I don't know, 2000? Seems like a timed board game where events happen at particular times is a mechanic that would be swell to have back in the hands of a good designer.

With a Blu-Ray/DVD you could have multiple scenarios or random chapter selection going on.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention though.

Anyway, back to the original posters question you pretty much named all the ones I am familiar with. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LabGnome wrote:
Kind of miss these kinds of games - especially since boardgames in general seem to have gotten much better since, I don't know, 2000? Seems like a timed board game where events happen at particular times is a mechanic that would be swell to have back in the hands of a good designer.
Space Alert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66424/dungeon-run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slasher: The Final Cut starts with an unknown killer, but as players are attacked and start to point fingers, one of them assumes the role of the killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Room 25 has guards.. which are only known to the actual guards chosen at random at the start of the game, but its a deception things until they choose to reveal themselves or commit a play that pegs them as a guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telnets wrote:
Room 25 has guards.. which are only known to the actual guards chosen at random at the start of the game, but its a deception things until they choose to reveal themselves or commit a play that pegs them as a guard.

I'm going to second Room 25. I really like this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.