Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One's selection among the options listed on the Papa cards might depend on who is first player.

Are the Mama & Papa cards resolved before or after assigning a start player? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do it before, since choosing the first wakeup order (in the base board, at least) is the Spring season of the first round, whereas M&P are resolved before the game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holger, andvaranaut is correct. You randomly pick wake-up order at the beginning of the first spring, so by then you've already set up the board with mamas and papas. It's a great timing question, though, and I'll check to make sure the rules are clear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Start player = person with the grapes token (who is first to choose on the wakeup chart)
first player = person at the top of the wake-up order

If I understand what's being asked and answered, is this a change when using any of Tuscany, or just for when Mommas and Pappas are being used?

When does the Start player (grapes token) get assigned so it can move counter-clockwise around the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
Start player = person with the grapes token (who is first to choose on the wakeup chart)
first player = person at the top of the wake-up order

If I understand what's being asked and answered, is this a change when using any of Tuscany, or just for when Mommas and Pappas are being used?

When does the Start player (grapes token) get assigned so it can move counter-clockwise around the board?

Just so we're all on the same page: I was indeed referring to who has the grapes. If I get the choice of having e.g. the Windmill (i.e. money points for planting vines) I'd really like to know beforehand if I'll be last to pick my wake-up spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
You randomly pick wake-up order at the beginning of the first spring

I'd take this to mean "you randomly pick who the first player will be at the beginning of the first spring, and then each player picks his wakeup time". So M&P would be first.

I agree that it's something which probably should be clarified in the M&P part of the rules.

Edit: On a side note, while I would rarely build it in an actual game (at least not without Properties or anything of the sort to get the early cash), I'd certainly jump on a starting Windmill. It's at least 3-4 VP right there just out of necessity (you'll plant in at least 3 years unless you are pretty lucky with double plants), and a viable source of easy VP in the late stages of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just added a note to the rules about this. You choose your mamas and papas before the first player is randomly selected. That happens at the beginning of the first spring season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trastion
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Yeah, I just added a note to the rules about this. You choose your mamas and papas before the first player is randomly selected. That happens at the beginning of the first spring season.

I am just beginning my journey into Tuscany and Mama's & Papa's will be our first expansion so I am reading up on it.

My group is loving Viticulture and one thing I really love is when a game designer takes the time to answer questions on here. When a designer says this is how it is it makes it hard for the rules lawyers to argue. Keep up the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm glad BGG lets me interact directly with people regarding questions like these. I hope you enjoy your journey into Tuscany!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, our group when playing game that lets you draw cards we Always do that in player order.

When we played with Mama+Papa expansion, we had to draw cards and hadn't yet decided a starting player, so we did that first and went back to the Mama+Papa cards.

Does it really matter of influence the game if you choose a starting player first, resolve the mama+papa cards and then each choose a wake up spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Connor: It could potentially impact players' decisions in the slightest, but the impact is very minimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.