Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this on a friend's Faceplant page yesterday...and boy does it ring way too true. Salespeople are constantly making promises and "writing checks" that the engineers are expected to "cash". Ridiculous attempts to appease a buyer just to get the sale and then browbeating the engineer that has to make it happen is a commonplace event. The engineer didn't set the sale price or the deadline, but he has to bust his tail to make it happen on time and under budget or he is in hot water. The salesman just collects his commission and moves on to the next conquest. It's even worse when the salesperson "thinks" that they know how things work and don't even invite the engineer's opinion.

Ever since I have moved from design engineering to teaching, my life has gotten just a little less stressful.

EDIT: One caveat to this opinion...I have been involved in industrial automation for almost 30 years and although the above is almost universally true (as far as I can tell), the exception was the couple of years I spent as a designer/programmer for ride control systems for theme park attractions. When you are placing men, women, and children directly into the machinery being controlled, time and money are secondary to solid, safe designs. I would hope that the same were true for the manufacturers of any transportation system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I've been in far too many of these meetings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/02/297839429/-so-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my projects want red straight lines, but usually end up in circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some engineers at work came pretty close to coming up with a legit solution for this. They're experts in resulting to pedantry, failing a reasonable request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OMG! OMG! OMG! I've been there so many times. And, we're forgetting, "how hard can it be?"

As a general rule, this happens in environments where people just simply have no knowledge at all with what they're working. Project managers, marketers, executives, whatever, they each have their own expertise that they bring to the table. But, if they're clued out about widgets, they can never form intelligent thoughts--bring their expertise to bear-- about widget making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing red lines with green or transparent ink is an easy problem to solve. Just choose the 'paper' correctly so it reacts with the ink in the correct way.

7 mutually perpendicular lines can be done if you are given a 7 dimensional piece of paper. And that's a procurement problem, not a design issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Saw this on a friend's Faceplant page yesterday...and boy does it ring way too true. Salespeople are constantly making promises and "writing checks" that the engineers are expected to "cash".
I mean how on earth could 2 people working for one year not be enough to complete a 6 man year project.
Just a random, totally hypothetical example...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

OMG! OMG! OMG! I've been there so many times. And, we're forgetting, "how hard can it be?"

And my personal favorite, "This really shouldn't take so long, should it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Drawing red lines with green or transparent ink is an easy problem to solve. Just choose the 'paper' correctly so it reacts with the ink in the correct way.

7 mutually perpendicular lines can be done if you are given a 7 dimensional piece of paper. And that's a procurement problem, not a design issue.

You, sir, are clearly management material...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.