Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded DiceForge for the iPhone yesterday and having skinned a couple of d8's, and given the app a spin, I thought I would share with the community here.

Here is what it looked like (I put both attack and defense dice in the same roll to save on Screen Shots)

Basically the program lets you customize the appearance of any number of virtual dice, then allows you to virtually roll them (full 3D, real time rendering of the rolls, collisions, tumbles, and all).

To customize a die, you open a screen in the app, save the "template" (a PNG file) as an image in your "photos" and then you modify that image and import it back into the app as a custom skin, ..er, "template".

That part is a little tedious. I took a bunch of pics of my dice, and used the gimp (i.e. the poor man's photoshop) to trace each of the icons (hit, crit, battle stations, and evasive maneuvers), creating flat (2D) icons that could be scaled and pasted into the template.

I wanted to get the dice to look right, so I didn't just drop them images on willy-nilly, but like them up as they appear on the dice that I have, etc.

The image above shows that they look pretty decent - which is the biggest selling point for the app (which demands the premium price of $3.99 - a price I think would have been warranted if the program were a little more .... er, programmable.

The good:
- If you're handy with graphics you can make professional looking Star Trek Attack Wing dice, and roll up to 12 of them at a time in the app.
- You can remove dice that have been rolled to a side bar, and reroll the remaining dice
- you can return removed dice to the board and roll them again
- there is a flashy (but functionally superfluous) panning animation, that you can use if you want to do a sweeping camera view of the dice that you have rolled - slick yes, but it serves no real purpose other than to look at your dice from another angle...

The bad:
-The collision model is a little flaky (The collision model tells the unity engine what can, and cannot go through something else - it is the rulebook for the virtual 3 dimensional space). The edges of your screen are supposed to be boundaries - but I have seen dice roll out of the box, as it were, so that you cannot see them (though if you do the superfluous panning thing - you can see them). I am going to call that a bug.
- When you return dice to the table, instead of placing them back with their saved values intact, it drops them onto the table which causes them to bounce and interact with the other dice on the table - which I don't think is what anyone intends to do when they save a die, then put it back. That needs to be fixed.
-$3.99 (for a limited time - then it goes to $4.99!!) That's a lot of dough for a buggy first effort entering a market where the average dice program is free or $.99.) For that kind of cash, one expects a Ferrari, and not a kit car that looks like one.

The "not so great":
You cannot change the value of a die once it is rolled (you can re roll it, but not set it) - which doesn't lend itself to battle stations or various upgrades.

Bottom line? If you just gotta have an iOS app that rolls Star Trek Attack Wing dice, this one will do that - but you will have to make the skin yourself. Well, I supposed if there is any interest I could put up the two skins I made, and then you could use those, but that is neither here nor there. I would wait for a while, I can't imagine the app sustaining that price point for long, and perhaps they will fix some of the problems I note, and add some functionality?

I hope that helps someone.

DANVAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, Dan! Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve, it has some eye-candy chops, I give it that, but for the bucks I was really expecting more. I'll show it to you when I see you (Lord willing) tomorrow.

DANVAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hey - I skinned an elite attack die too, here is a screen shot of the die in the panoramic view:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoops, that's the skin. Here is how it looks in the screenshot:

DANVAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel skin the others for us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jelle meersman
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
Puppeteers rule.
badge
Puppeteers From Antwerp, Belgium
mbmbmbmbmb
yes please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

These?

DANVAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now only if we could get physical dice as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jelle meersman
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
Puppeteers rule.
badge
Puppeteers From Antwerp, Belgium
mbmbmbmbmb
thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.