Subject: Don't use Solopress (edited) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to warn fellow game developers of this company.

I recently used Solopress to print 120 sheets of double-sided A4 card (to make prototype playing cards) and it was a nightmare from start to finish.

I was originally quoted £30 (an amazing price) and told that the double-sided prints would be no problem to set up. I then inquired about how exactly I should format the digital files so that both sides would align (very important as I was printing playing cards).

All they had to do was tell me that their printers flip the pages horizontally, but no one could give me this info. Instead I was bounced between 3 different people, one of which got me to send him individual files for each card (front and rear) so he could make sure the cards all aligned properly. This took me 3 hours to do but it was important so I did it.

I was then quoted £90 for the job; quite a drastic change! They said this was because I hadn't told them some of the pages would be different. I'd already invested a lot of time and effort with these people and that was the price I was originally expecting to pay so I went along with it.

Long story short, they sent me a bunch of pages that did not align at all, and they had just ignored the files I had sent them. Apparently the 3 different people I spoke to had nothing to do with the actual print job.

I then had to explain all of this to their customer services person who was confused throughout and kept relaying different messages from her manager; first they agreed to send fixed pages, then they said it was my fault so they wouldn't, then they agreed but didn't know how to fix it... nightmare! Only because they had already sent me prints did I know how their printers worked (by flipping the pages horizontally) I was able to sort the files myself.

Oh, and I needed a few extra pages printing, and they charged me full price for them. No mention of apology or a discount for all the hassle they caused.

EDIT - After finding this post they have refunded the additional pages for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Don't use Solopress
just 2 weeks?! be thankful. it could have been worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible that they, like many other POD companies, are really just organizers or the equivalent of a temp agency for the real printing place.

Do not know how common that is though. But. If you can figure out what factory they were sending the orders to then you can bypass them alltogether and get better CS and prices sometimes. And when a front acts like Solopress then they can end up deserving to be bypassed. Bad CS is bad for business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bentley
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
just 2 weeks?! be thankful. it could have been worse

For those of us who don't have time to read 500 posts to discover something that happened 5 years ago, mind providing a quick summary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That other thread is regarding SuperiorPOD. I'm not going to confuse people in this thread about Solopress ... but suffice to say: be wary of print on demand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
That other thread is regarding SuperiorPOD. I'm not going to confuse people in this thread about Solopress ... but suffice to say: be wary of print on demand

Be wary of SuperiorPOD in particular. Not all print on demand is bad.

I've been tremendously happy with DriveThruCards for my POD needs in the past six months. I've also worked with SuperiorPOD in the past, which was a miserable, miserable experience.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Washburn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant tell you how great an experience it has been working with Printer Studio over the last 15 months on my prototype builds. They are always on time and the card quality is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.