Subject: Learning to touch-type/keyboard [HIVEMIND] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darling Chit Chat geeks, I need your power!!

I want my 13-year old to learn how to touch-type and am interested in recommends for any sites/games/etc. that can teach her in a fun way!

Preferably FREE, but am willing to purchase if not too exorbitant.

I know that daily practice is the key so it needs to be interesting/fun as opposed to the tedium that was my experience taking typing classes in high school.

Thanks in advance!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest tracking down my typing teacher from high school, but it is likely she has passed by now (40+ years ago).

Someone used to make keyboard covers that did not allow viewing the keys. Are they still available? Those were OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The Typing of the Dead is a terrific, Zombie Horror based typing tutor. and is available on Steam.

Zombies are approaching you and you have to type the correct letter to kill them. As the levels progress you have to type faster and the characters required increase from 1 letter to entire words.

It is definitely gory but then it is a Zombie game and that's part of the fun.

What's most important is that it is great fun so your kid is going to want to keep playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing to be a decent typing learning tool.

Full disclosure - I worked on one version of it.[1]

[1] Man, I wish our team and carried through on the idea of making "Mavis Beacon Teaches Sniping" T-shirts as a shipping celebration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to know how I learned to touch type? I covered up all the labels on the keys with blank stickers. When looking down tells you nothing, you quickly learn never to look down as you type. Eventually the stickers wore off, but by then I was out of the habit.

(I'm also a Dvorak typist, which is a related story, but not much to the point here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
The Typing of the Dead is a terrific, Zombie Horror based typing tutor. and is available on Steam.

Zombies are approaching you and you have to type the correct letter to kill them. As the levels progress you have to type faster and the characters required increase from 1 letter to entire words.

What's most important is that it is great fun so your kid is going to want to keep playing.

If you're concerned about vulgarity, sexual references, etc., steer FAR clear of TotD: Overkill. It's WAY over the top in every way imaginable. I believe you get your first "MF the MF'ing MF'er" in the first 30 seconds of the opening cutscene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can both learn the Dvorak layout - which is far more efficient. AND since the actual letters aren't on the keys, you won't be tempted to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Typer Shark is an excellent typing tutor/game.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

If you're concerned about vulgarity, sexual references, etc., steer FAR clear of TotD: Overkill. It's WAY over the top in every way imaginable. I believe you get your first "MF the MF'ing MF'er" in the first 30 seconds of the opening cutscene.

Thanks, Jon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
We used Tux Type back in the day, but my goodness that was a LONG time ago, so I don't know if it's your best choice now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked MissT and this is the one they use at school, she said it's set up like lessons rather than games http://www.kidwaresoftware.com/kidtype.htm

She said they still use the Tux one and that's fun, but the other one does a better job of actually teaching typing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had both of my kids use MasterKey after researching. It may not be as 'fun' as some, but it is thorough. Has a regular traditional training mode, also a 'paratyper' game, and can track multiple students and keeps full statistics, and requires certain levels of mastery before progressing is allowed. Works on both Mac and Windows. Used by many schools. Is is fairly lightweight (not a huge app - only 5MB(win) - 12 MB(OS X) for the app and installers combined! (for comparison, Mavis requires 600MB installed disk space)) which is a win for me, and also isn't very expensive ($15) and has shareware 'try before you buy' (might even be indefinite amount of time). If I recall, the same license worked on both my mac and my Windows laptop.

We had them do 15 min a day before getting computer game or Wii time back in 5th and 6th grade until they hit 40+ wpm -- and now they type very well, 60+ wpm, and are so thankful to be touch-typists when doing homework in middle and high school.

I'm not affiliated, but I am a VERY satisfied customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned to type by relative position of keys. I don't use the touch-type method (I tried to learn at one point, but I never got it down.)

Over the years, I've learned the position of the keys. by the closeness that each key is to each other key. Essentially, through muscle memory, my right hand knows where certain keys are and my left hand knows where other keys are. I do not need to look at the keyboard to type at all (Okay, to start, I usually look at where the first key is, and then go from there).

I don't really know if there's a benefit to touch-typing or not, I type at a relatively normal WPM (approx. 65 wpm). But I kind of feel like having to keep my fingers docked in a certain position, and having to return to that position constantly would waste time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojanDan wrote:
You can both learn the Dvorak layout - which is far more efficient.

That is up for heavy debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The locals here are moaning about the need to know cursive writing. Just invest in voice recognition. It's the future.

[I didn't try hard enough to learn Morse code before it was outmoded.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Mavis Beacon. You can find really low cost copies. I still use mine, working on getting up past that 90 word a minute goal. Currently around 75.

Mavis teaches regular typing, using repetition, which is how I learned in High School and then she also has games which let you focus on small words or long or complex words. She also has a game that teaches you ten key, which I'm adequate at, but by no mean stellar; simply never liked the use of the ten key board.

It's worth your couple of bucks to get it, your kids should enjoy it and shouldn't get bored with all the different ways to learn. It even keeps track of different people and their current goal and progress in comparison to said goal.

Try Half-Priced books or Walmart for cheap copies or Amazon.

Steven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
TrojanDan wrote:
You can both learn the Dvorak layout - which is far more efficient.

That is up for heavy debate.
For me, being proficient at both, Dvorak is the faster keyboard. After about two weeks of (8 hours daily) practice my Dvorak speed was equal to my Qwerty; after a couple months it was noticeably faster. And I notice when I switch to Qwerty that I need to "reach" with my fingers far more, which both slows you down and I've heard contributes to carpal tunnel problems.

Yes, this isn't a real study, it is just anecdotal evidence, but for me spending two weeks re-learning how to type was a huge long term win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Bone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned how to type using Mavis Beacon teaches typing and I really enjoyed it. But I didn't really get good at it till I joined my first online forum website. Probably because that's when I started typing more often and just because I wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Typing... blah blah blah.... We are missing an important point.

EgorjLileli wrote:
my 13-year old

When did Little MMB grow up!?!?!?

Wasn't she eight last week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

I'm terrible at typing. Still look at the keys. But I do own a Dreamcast, an original copy of TotD, as well as two Dreamcast keyboards. I'm very tempted to hook it up when I get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Typing... blah blah blah.... We are missing an important point.

EgorjLileli wrote:
my 13-year old

When did Little MMB grow up!?!?!?

Wasn't she eight last week?

Well....I bet that Ian isn't a toddler anymore either!!??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.