Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Variants

Subject: My "Essential" Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
I've been working on this for some time. While there are obviously many events from the Cold War not in Twilight Struggle, a few seemed rather surprising. I've added those, and hopefully these cards would enhance the game. My explanations are below each card.

Evita*: E, N, 1: The player who controls Argentina gains 1 VP and may place 1 influence anywhere in South America.
An iconic, powerful figure of the mid-twentieth century and in
the backdrop of the Cold War. Although South America does not
come into major play until the Mid War, the card needs to be an
Early War card, as Eva Perón died in 1952. The card also has to
be a neutral event, as the entire point of Peronism was
Cold War neutrality.

Nobel Prize: E, N, 2: Add 1 influence to a country adjacent to your superpower, then roll a die. You gain VP equal to half the die roll, rounded down.
A major prestige award for both sides, similar to the Olympics,
but more powerful.

KGB: E, USSR, 2: The USSR may play this card during the Headline Phase in order to cancel the US Headline Event (including a scoring card). The canceled card is placed into the discard pile. If this card is played by the US during its action round, the USSR gains 1 VP.
Very few things represented the Cold War as well as the KGB.
Given that it’s even mentioned in the CIA Created card history,
I’m shocked it’s not in the game. I decided to have them go about
screwing with America’s plans.

Rosenbergs*: E, USSR, 2: Place 4 USSR influence in countries adjacent to the USSR.
Such an infamous case in 1950s America, and how Russia got the
bomb. Perhaps the USSR having nuclear weapons just went without
saying. The card’s idea is of a Soviet nuclear umbrella.

Berlin Wall*: M, USSR, 3: Degrade the DEFCON level by 1. Remove all US influence in East Germany. For Defectors, US player rolls a die and adds 1 if CIA Created has been played as an event. Defectors is only successful on modified die roll of 4-6. Cancelled/prevented by Tear Down This Wall.
By far and away the biggest symbol of the Cold War. I have no
idea why this was not included in the game, especially
considering that the Tear Down This Wall speech is. The card
interferes with Defectors, which is exactly what the wall was
made to do.

Fall of Saigon*: M, USSR, 2: Playable as an event only after Vietnam Revolts or Quagmire. Reduce the US player’s military points by 2, or by 3 if Flower Power is in effect. Remove all US influence in Vietnam. The US may no longer attempt coups or make realignment rolls in Vietnam and Laos/Cambodia, and may no longer make realignment rolls in Thailand. The US gains 1 VP if the USSR has The China Card.
Another infamous and iconic event for America with major
implications, the end of the Vietnam era and the only time the US
has outright lost a war.

Perestroika*: L, USSR, 4: The USSR may discard up to their entire hand of cards (including scoring cards) to the discard pile and draw replacements from the draw pile. The number of cards to be discarded must be decided before drawing any replacement cards from the draw pile. If The Reformer is in effect, place influence or attempt realignments as if you played a 2 Ops card.
If Glasnost is in the game with Gorbachev, Perestroika,
“restructuring”, should be included as well.

August Coup*: L, USA, 4: Degrade DEFCON by 1. Reduce the USSR player’s military points by 2. The USSR must skip their next action round where they are not forced to play a scoring card.
Not as famous as some of the other events here, but unimaginably
important. The August Coup was the final nail in the coffin for
the USSR. The event was devastating for the Soviet Union, and the
card is just the same.

I've also made a gameplay change to the world by making Ethiopia a 2 stability battleground country, and reducing Somalia's stability to 1. Again, I feel this is more accurate, and Ethiopia was fairly significant during the 20th Century. It also, more importantly, gives players a reason to play into the "second spine" of Africa, which I have hardly seen anyone ever do. It just seemed a bit odd to have a large part of the world in the game, but have it be all but useless. I've tested it, and it adds to the game without throwing off existing balance.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
Quote:
Evita*: E, N, 1: The player who controls Argentina gains 1 VP and may place 1 influence anywhere in South America.


Why is this early war? Only De-stalinization would ever lead to anyone controlling Argentina in the Early War. It should be Mid War instead.

Quote:
Fall of Saigon*: M, USSR, 2: Playable as an event only after Vietnam Revolts or Quagmire. Reduce the US player’s military points by 2, or by 3 if Flower Power is in effect. Remove all US influence in Vietnam. The US may no longer attempt coups or make realignment rolls in Vietnam and Laos/Cambodia, and may no longer make realignment rolls in Thailand. The US gains 1 VP if the USSR has The China Card.


This seems very weak. The loss of military ops might matter, and the VP to the US definitely matters. I can't imagine US ever couping or even realigning Laos/Cambodia or Vietnam in the Mid War. Surely there are better targets if Defcon goes that high.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice card-writing! You hit some of the events I've always thought were missing. (Although it's worth noting that Perestroika appears in 1989.

My only concern is that these cards would, on the whole, favor the USSR. They would tilt the deck composition away from favoring the US (where it's supposed to be by Late War). Still, they seem interesting to try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wachsmuth wrote:
Quote:
Evita*: E, N, 1: The player who controls Argentina gains 1 VP and may place 1 influence anywhere in South America.


Why is this early war? Only De-stalinization would ever lead to anyone controlling Argentina in the Early War. It should be Mid War instead.

Quote:
Fall of Saigon*: M, USSR, 2: Playable as an event only after Vietnam Revolts or Quagmire. Reduce the US player’s military points by 2, or by 3 if Flower Power is in effect. Remove all US influence in Vietnam. The US may no longer attempt coups or make realignment rolls in Vietnam and Laos/Cambodia, and may no longer make realignment rolls in Thailand. The US gains 1 VP if the USSR has The China Card.


This seems very weak. The loss of military ops might matter, and the VP to the US definitely matters. I can't imagine US ever couping or even realigning Laos/Cambodia or Vietnam in the Mid War. Surely there are better targets if Defcon goes that high.


Not every card has to be powerful. Every event has to be useful in some conceivable circumstance. Think of a card like Summit or Olympic Games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re Rosenbergs, their activities began and completed prior to the start of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
Quote:
Why is this early war? Only De-stalinization would ever lead to anyone controlling Argentina in the Early War. It should be Mid War instead.


As I've stated, Evita has to be in the Early War for historical reasons. She died in 1952, when the Cold War was just starting. Heck, the Korean War wouldn't even end for another year!

And for Fall of Saigon, I felt the coup and realignment restrictions, while possibly not very important, are vital for flavor.

As for the Rosenbergs, the USSR didn't successfully test the Bomb until 1949, and the Rosenbergs were executed in 1953, so I feel it fits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Avatar
mb
fdrpi wrote:
It also, more importantly, gives players a reason to play into the "second spine" of Africa, which I have hardly seen anyone ever do. It just seemed a bit odd to have a large part of the world in the game, but have it be all but useless.


Huh. The string of countries between Egypt and Mozambique gets taken in most of the games I've played - action in the higher stab West African countries is definitely rarer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Avatar
Wouldn't adding more cards to the game mess with the schedule of reshuffles? Even now, with optional cards, we often don't have a reshuffle on Turn 7, which leads to the very weird Turn 8.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theflint wrote:
Wouldn't adding more cards to the game mess with the schedule of reshuffles? Even now, with optional cards, we often don't have a reshuffle on Turn 7, which leads to the very weird Turn 8.


That's never actually happened to me. I've heard of it. Perhaps I play too many events?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fdrpi wrote:
As for the Rosenbergs, the USSR didn't successfully test the Bomb until 1949, and the Rosenbergs were executed in 1953, so I feel it fits.


My point was that the key "event" associated with the Rosenbergs was them giving atomic bomb info to the Soviets. That was a done deal before the game starts. Their getting arrested and executed has no game value that I can see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Avatar
mkiefte wrote:
That's never actually happened to me. I've heard of it. Perhaps I play too many events?

It is almost guaranteed if "Ask Not" and "Our Man" were not triggered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
It also depends on use of the China card and hand-size reducers (Five Year Plan, Grain Sales, UN Intervention) or SALT.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
Well, their trial and execution did help trigger the Red Scare and increase counterespionage. I suppose you could also say the event represents the USSR getting the bomb in general, like how Eastern European Unrest covers the Prague Spring and Hungary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdrpi wrote:
KGB: E, USSR, 2: The USSR may play this card during the Headline Phase in order to cancel the US Headline Event (including a scoring card). The canceled card is placed into the discard pile. If this card is played by the US during its action round, the USSR gains 1 VP.
Very few things represented the Cold War as well as the KGB.
Given that it’s even mentioned in the CIA Created card history,
I’m shocked it’s not in the game. I decided to have them go about
screwing with America’s plans.


But there are already at least 2 KGB-related events in this game : Ames Remix and Cambridge Five !!! Why to add one more ?? shake
Also - denying headline effect for US is more damaging as for USSR due to the first AR1 granted to this ...

Quote:
It is almost guaranteed if "Ask Not" and "Our Man" were not triggered.


Not really - usually I notice that there are 1 or 2 cards left in deck after T7 if both this are not played ... so Salt Negotiation or not holding China card also could lead to a reshuffle "just in time". Even if I found myself sometime asking - especially as US - I really want to bring back in play for a turn all scoring cards or not ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fdrpi wrote:
Well, their trial and execution did help trigger the Red Scare and increase counterespionage. I suppose you could also say the event represents the USSR getting the bomb in general, like how Eastern European Unrest covers the Prague Spring and Hungary.


I'd be inclined to ask Jason Matthews or Ananda Gupta why the cards are "missing". Like the old saying goes, "before you tear down a fence, better find out why it was put up in the first place".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
fdrpi wrote:
Well, their trial and execution did help trigger the Red Scare and increase counterespionage. I suppose you could also say the event represents the USSR getting the bomb in general, like how Eastern European Unrest covers the Prague Spring and Hungary.


I'd be inclined to ask Jason Matthews or Ananda Gupta why the cards are "missing". Like the old saying goes, "before you tear down a fence, better find out why it was put up in the first place".


I asked Jason Matthews once why Iraq wasn't attached to Syria. Seemed like a very obvious omission. The gist of what he said was basically, that, at some point, you have to consider game play. I guess there was once a link but it was removed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.