BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Japan

Subject: Recommendations for good Japanese games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys, I will be in Moriguchi, Osaka for a family vacation on April 9-13. I've done some sleuthing around on the JIGG Osaka page and realised that the Kiwi Games and Yellow Submarine stores are pretty close by, so I'll try to stop by there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good Japanese games to pick up? There seem to be so many small Japanese games around that a lot go unnoticed on BGG. I'm specifically looking for games that aren't just plain cards with numbers on them (e.g. Kobayakawa, Hattari) and aren't too reliant on Japanese text printed on the cards.

I'm currently looking at Mythe, Road to the Palace and Sukimono. I'll probably pick up New Order Games' Circus Flohcati and Tindahan purely for the art alone, despite already possessing copies for both games.

Any recommendations are most appreciated!

P.S. Thanks to the JIGG Osaka gang for making such a convenient reference map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab Shephy. It is just cards, but it's really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to suggest Mythe, but I see you are already on top of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some other fun game suggestions

Candy Chaser - great bluffing game
In a Grove - it's called Yabu no Naka (in Japan)
Kobayakawa
String Safari - that one's pretty fun
ooh I nearly forgot
One Night Werewolf
Machi Koro & Machi Koro: Harbor

Definitely Shephy & Mythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions of Shephy. It looks pretty good!

merc007 wrote:
Candy Chaser - great bluffing game
Hattari - it's called Yabu no Naka (in Japan)
Kobayakawa
String Savanna - that one's pretty fun
ooh I nearly forgot
One Night Werewolf
Machi Koro & Machi Koro Plus

A friend of mine already has Hattari, Kobayakawa and Machi Koro, so I'll pass on that. Candy Chaser looks a bit too simple for my tastes, and I already have quite a few bluffing games. Will watch the explanation of String Savanna to see if it's any good.

By the way, thanks for your informative blog Mandy. The first thing I did after checking where the nearby game shops were was to check your blog for your game highlights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Let's Catch the Lion! be of interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have a look at user

Yannick Deplaedt
Japan
Nagoya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Japan Games Blog found here:
http://www.japantime.org/japanboardgames/

Articles are usually in both French and English and you may be able to get an idea of how something plays before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flabbergasted wrote:
Maybe have a look at user

Yannick Deplaedt
Japan
Nagoya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Japan Games Blog found here:
http://www.japantime.org/japanboardgames/

Articles are usually in both French and English and you may be able to get an idea of how something plays before you buy.

Which leads us to this...
http://gusandco.net/2014/03/17/reportage-le-game-market-dosa...

Aaaargh! So many games so far out of reach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find them, I'd recommend Alpaca Pakapaka and カツカレー喰ってる場合か!? (roughly translated: Katsu Curry?! This is not the time for that!). I'm currently trying to get both of them added to the BGG database, but you can read a little about them in one of my threads here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1147581/saturday-night-gamin...

I know that Katsu Curry is available via Amazon.jp and I think through the Chicken Dice Games website, so it might be available in Japanese game stores too. Not sure about Alpaca Pakapaka, but hopefully it's out there somewhere too.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/ChickenDiceGames-%E3%82%AB%E3%83%84%...

Good luck on your game shopping and enjoy your vacation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Dungeon is another Oink Games production you might want to look out for.
A game where you're adventurers trying to bluff and dare others into entering a dungeon with less equipment ("I think I can do it without the armour!" "Yeah?! Well I can do it without the armour and the shield!" "Prove it!" "...dammit...")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Just got back from Osaka. Here's a picture of the loot I got from Yellow Submarine Osaka:

I couldn't find Sukimono, and skipped Road to the Palace in favour of Age of Assassins. There were plenty of other small card games that caught my eye (like this one and this one) but my wallet told me to stick to games that I already had a rough idea about.

I had plenty of fun in Osaka. Thanks for all the recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh great find! Those are awesome games
Awh, unfortunately Sukimono is out of print, I asked the publisher at the end of last year if they would reprint it and I'm not sure it'll get reprinted. It might seeing so many people want it, or it might get republished via another publisher. So fingers crossed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you had a good trip and it looks like you found some cool games! Can't wait to hear what you think of them! I think I need to get out to Yellow Submarine sometime soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.