Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working with my FLGS to help them expand their business model. I have a lot of business experience and I really like the store owner. I want to try to see if she can market her skills with gaming as part of a larger teambuilding/problem solving exercises for employees.

Coops like Pandemic and Forbidden Island are pretty easy to teach for teambuilding.

The worker placement games teach opportunity cost. Any other suggestions for a game that can have a business lesson to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Boca is a pretty cool verbal cooperation game. It is also very easy to explain, there are very few rules. It's also entirely abstract, so you don't have to worry about a theme being off putting to specific people.

Time 'n' Space is also oddly collaborative, even though it is a competitive game i.e. only one winner. The game is on a real time clock and you have to constantly be communicating with other players so that they take your points and you take theirs (It's bad if people don't take your points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use The Resistance: Avalon with my work group. It teaches good lessons on communication, puzzle-solving, deductive skills, and leadership. The leadership aspect is highlighted when you add in Merlin and the Assassin, which only come with the Avalon edition of the game. It works wonders in my team. I even use it as a goal-reaching incentive: Pizza & Avalon! It seems to motivate them well.

Hanabi - This game really teaches teamwork well. After a couple games, your group will begin to realize that unless they create some sort of system of effective communication, they won't get better. Great game for team building.

Space Alert - This is real-time. The tutorial is a bit of a beast, but if you can get them past that, you'll find them all clinging to a specific role/task--including a leader. If they don't, they'll fail. Communication and fast, efficient planning are critical.

Space Cadets - In this one, everyone plays a different mini-game and they all work together. It's probably slightly less complex than Space Alert.

Space Cadets: Dice Duel - This takes the idea of the original game, but pits two teams against each other in a real-time battle in space. This creates tension and competition between the two teams.

Ground Floor - This is a heavy, complex worker-placement game, so I have a hunch it won't work simply because of that. But I thought it was worth mentioning as the "workers" in the game are themed as time. So it's essentially a huge exercise in time management.

Tinners' Trail - A lighter setting for time management. Each action you take has a cost of time, if you take a powerful action, it will cost you more time, thus moving your time token further up the time track, making you wait longer until your next turn. It also has a great exercise in cost evaluation of property and resources available. The auctions in the game are really interesting because it comes with a cost of two time steps, making the "timing" of when players trigger the auctions very critical. One of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quick and easy to play No Thanks! , related to 'risk/benefit' i suppose

maybe Cutthroat Caverns 'semi'-cooperative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot is cooperative and teaches using the best people for the job and making decisions about what's best for the overall goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough I could see Bruges being used to teach effective decision making. Some managers have a hard time making decisions and moving forward because they lack complete information. There is risk.

Bruges forces players to assess the options available to them (which are many) and select which path to pursue. Each card can be used seven different ways, and players can only hold one card back from one round to the next hoping to see if it will combo well with whatever comes next. We are forced to make decisions and move on, living with the results.

A game like Bruges, or perhaps 7 Wonders, teaches us to make a choice and go with it. A.P. is easy to observe in that situation and can be discussed afterward by the group, hopefully in an encouraging way.

Coloretto might be an easier option to use for similar effect. But the impact of a larger game like Bruges or 7 Wonders might be deeper, assuming the group has the time to learn it and explore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugg-Tect for 'communication'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.