Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: A Bit of Perspective on Game Retention (from my wife) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of threads on here about when to keep games, when to buy new games, what do do with games you don't play and so on. This is something I too have struggled with over the years of being a serious board gamer and even more so as my family grew and my cash flow had more important purposes. I have become fairly adept at using Noble Knight, local and BGG trades to get games for a low budget impact but recently, when I was asking my wife which games she didn't mind that I used for a math trade at PAX, I was given a fresh perspective on the whole thing. This was the conversation:


Me: "Would you mind we got rid of that city game, Suburbia, or maybe the Stone Age expansion?"

Her: "Why are you always getting rid of your games?"

Me: "So I can get new ones without costing us too much in actual cash."

Her: "But don't you like the ones you have?"

Me: "Yeah but I feel foolish keeping ones I don't play or hardly ever play."

Her: "But it's a collection. Isn't that point of a collection?"

Forehead slap. Of course it is. A collection isn't necessarily about the utility of the object being collected. In fact, it rarely is. Think about stamps or art or coins. These are collections people pour money into and all they ever do is look at them. Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard? The fact of the matter is we should be satisfied to have our games as a collection to simply admire and be ecstatic that we can also, when time permits, also use that collection as well.

Thought this bit of wisdom from my lovely wife might help others here ward away the Guilt of the Unplayed.

Happy Gaming!!
20 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play board games.

I collect souls.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Hoffman Estates
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
Avatar
mb
MhidDa wrote:
Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard?


For me it's simple: time and space.

Time because if I'm not enjoying a particular game and it's collecting thicker and thicker layers of dust on my shelves, why should I keep it when someone else might derive some pleasure from it (and me a few bucks)?

Space because I simply don't have enough room for dozens and dozens of games that never see the light of day.

Just my .02
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I collect, but as the more great games come out, the more mediocre ones have to get booted.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold onto that woman and never let her go. If you do, I'm going to slap you.
29 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I play board games.

I collect souls.

You forgot the bwahahahaaaaa at the end of your post.


...glad I could help. devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mozart78 wrote:
MhidDa wrote:
Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard?


For me it's simple: time and space.

Time because if I'm not enjoying a particular game and it's collecting thicker and thicker layers of dust on my shelves, why should I keep it when someone else might derive some pleasure from it (and me a few bucks)?

Space because I simply don't have enough room for dozens and dozens of games that never see the light of day.

Just my .02


Says the man with 275 games .
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Kowalewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Mozart78 wrote:
MhidDa wrote:
Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard?


For me it's simple: time and space.

Time because if I'm not enjoying a particular game and it's collecting thicker and thicker layers of dust on my shelves, why should I keep it when someone else might derive some pleasure from it (and me a few bucks)?

Space because I simply don't have enough room for dozens and dozens of games that never see the light of day.

Just my .02


Says the man with 275 games .

1 dozen of dozens is 144.
2 dozens of dozens is 288. He just doesn't have space for an extra 13 games to make it "dozens of dozens". Liking math makes you do that sometimes.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Hold onto that woman and never let her go. If you do, I'm going to slap you.


Don't ever plan to. See the quote on my profile page.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Hold onto that woman and never let her go. If you do, I'm going to slap you.


No kidding. If this was posted yesterday I'd be convinced it was an April Fool's joke. Quite the woman you've got there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wetzel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And some games are worth hanging on to just as a joke -i.e. non gamers come over to watch a movie "hey guys, wanna play King of the Elves tonight instead?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
MhidDa wrote:
Her: "But it's a collection. Isn't that point of a collection?"


My possessions, all of them, are tools used to accomplish certain ends. If they are not useful to those ends, then they are likely to be replaced with things that are.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MhidDa wrote:
I see a lot of threads on here about when to keep games, when to buy new games, what do do with games you don't play and so on. This is something I too have struggled with over the years of being a serious board gamer and even more so as my family grew and my cash flow had more important purposes. I have become fairly adept at using Noble Knight, local and BGG trades to get games for a low budget impact but recently, when I was asking my wife which games she didn't mind that I used for a math trade at PAX, I was given a fresh perspective on the whole thing. This was the conversation:


Me: "Would you mind we got rid of that city game, Suburbia, or maybe the Stone Age expansion?"

Her: "Why are you always getting rid of your games?"

Me: "So I can get new ones without costing us too much in actual cash."

Her: "But don't you like the ones you have?"

Me: "Yeah but I feel foolish keeping ones I don't play or hardly ever play."

Her: "But it's a collection. Isn't that point of a collection?"

Forehead slap. Of course it is. A collection isn't necessarily about the utility of the object being collected. In fact, it rarely is. Think about stamps or art or coins. These are collections people pour money into and all they ever do is look at them. Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard? The fact of the matter is we should be satisfied to have our games as a collection to simply admire and be ecstatic that we can also, when time permits, also use that collection as well.

Thought this bit of wisdom from my lovely wife might help others here ward away the Guilt of the Unplayed.

Happy Gaming!!


I saw the title and thought this was going to be some sort of 'but we could buy new curtain pelmets if you sold that shrinkwrapped original Dune, honey' post, but dang, she's a keeper!

Eco
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Hoffman Estates
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
Avatar
mb
mltdwn wrote:
Mozart78 wrote:
MhidDa wrote:
Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard?


For me it's simple: time and space.

Time because if I'm not enjoying a particular game and it's collecting thicker and thicker layers of dust on my shelves, why should I keep it when someone else might derive some pleasure from it (and me a few bucks)?

Space because I simply don't have enough room for dozens and dozens of games that never see the light of day.

Just my .02


Says the man with 275 games .


Touche

I'm in the process of practicing what I preach...it's a long process!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My games are like my books. I keep them on the thought that at some point I'll want to re-read them. But I don't keep them just because.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Panzer
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can understand the strict utilitarian approach to game collections, but I have a somewhat different outlook. While there are contraints of money and space, I keep many games in my collection because they reflect who I am.

My game collection, like my library, tells a story about me. This is why I like to look at other people's book shelves.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Shrug. I am me. I am not my possessions, and my possessions are not a reflection of, or necessarily revelatory of me. At the best my possessions are merely associated detritus. I am the only authoritative and accurate representation of me. I am my own story.

The same is true for you. You are not your possessions, and your possessions are not a reflection of, or necessarily revelatory of you. At the best your possessions are merely associated detritus. You are the only authoritative and accurate representation of you. You are your own story.

Start and end at the source.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Shrug. I am me. I am not my possessions, and my possessions are not a reflection of, or necessarily revelatory of me. At the best my possessions are merely associated detritus. I am the only authoritative and accurate representation of me. I am my own story.

The same is true for you. You are not your possessions, and your possessions are not a reflection of, or necessarily revelatory of you. At the best your possessions are merely associated detritus. You are the only authoritative and accurate representation of you. You are your own story.

Start and end at the source.

Which self help book did you read that in, clearclaw?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
The one tattooed on the inside of my skull that I look at every time I close my eyes. It is the way I think I live.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Stakes
United States
flag msg tools
This is my lucky stake.
badge
I have killed many vampires with it. I call it Mr. Pointy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to post on the evils of materialism and collecting, when I received an email saying I had a new microbadge award: "Copper Boardgame Collector"

how humiliating
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with you. The one thing that will keep me trading/selling/buying or whatever is the excitement of getting that game in the mail. Opening it up, sorting it out, pimping the storage, printing the files, and so on and so forth bring me as much fun as actually playing the game.

It's sort of like fishing for me. I enjoy fishing, but I equally enjoying getting that new tackle and setting myself up to fish.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
Avatar
mb
clearclaw wrote:
MhidDa wrote:
Her: "But it's a collection. Isn't that point of a collection?"


My possessions, all of them, are tools used to accomplish certain ends. If they are not useful to those ends, then they are likely to be replaced with things that are.


I resemble this remark.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MhidDa wrote:
I see a lot of threads on here about when to keep games, when to buy new games, what do do with games you don't play and so on. This is something I too have struggled with over the years of being a serious board gamer and even more so as my family grew and my cash flow had more important purposes. I have become fairly adept at using Noble Knight, local and BGG trades to get games for a low budget impact but recently, when I was asking my wife which games she didn't mind that I used for a math trade at PAX, I was given a fresh perspective on the whole thing. This was the conversation:


Me: "Would you mind we got rid of that city game, Suburbia, or maybe the Stone Age expansion?"

Her: "Why are you always getting rid of your games?"

Me: "So I can get new ones without costing us too much in actual cash."

Her: "But don't you like the ones you have?"

Me: "Yeah but I feel foolish keeping ones I don't play or hardly ever play."

Her: "But it's a collection. Isn't that point of a collection?"

Forehead slap. Of course it is. A collection isn't necessarily about the utility of the object being collected. In fact, it rarely is. Think about stamps or art or coins. These are collections people pour money into and all they ever do is look at them. Why do we feel the need to hold ourselves to a different standard? The fact of the matter is we should be satisfied to have our games as a collection to simply admire and be ecstatic that we can also, when time permits, also use that collection as well.

Thought this bit of wisdom from my lovely wife might help others here ward away the Guilt of the Unplayed.

Happy Gaming!!


I think I disagree. As a person evolves so does his/her collections. I used to collect sports cards. I always traded for new ones and, in fact, trading had more appeal than buying in many cases. I collect Magic. I always sell off my cards that I do not use to buy cards I will use. I used to collect DVD's. I will happily trade DVD's that I use less often for ones that I would watch more. Maybe I get more enjoyment out of giving things to others that will be used or loved than the average gamer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laura b
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Hold onto that woman and never let her go. If you do, I'm going to slap you.


or steal her

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laura b
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
MhidDa wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:
Hold onto that woman and never let her go. If you do, I'm going to slap you.


Don't ever plan to. See the quote on my profile page.




awwww....


We havent got a big enough collection to do this yet

I think though when we do we would sell games to afford new games if its a game we dont enjoy as much and really wanted the other game but needed a but more cash to afford it

we wouldnt sell games just because we dnt play them as much anymore though

you shouldnt have to excuse you collection habits its up to you what you do and how you do it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.