United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it cost courage tokens to both activate the Yawning Chasm AND take a deperate action against the chosen encounter? Or just pay the normal desperate action cost against the chosen encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nava
msg tools
designer
mb
1. You're not using courage token to "activate" an encounter, you're using them to overcome it right-out.

2. If you choose to do so, you spend courage tokens to immediately overcome an encounter at another location. You cannot overcome the encounter by rolling dice. THEN, you can try to overcome the encounter at the Yawning Chasm by either spending courage tokens or rolling the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Zyl
South Africa
cape town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
Does it cost courage tokens to both activate the Yawning Chasm AND take a deperate action against the chosen encounter? Or just pay the normal desperate action cost against the chosen encounter.

The Location Action for the Yawning Chasm is separate from the Desperate Act available at the beginning of each Encounter.
When you move to the Yawning Chasm you may perform a Desperate Act ( spend Courage tokens ) against ANY Encounter card on the board.(Location Action)
Thereafter, you would attempt to Overcome the Encounter at the Yawning Chasm, in which you may perform a Desperate Act again (should you have enough Courage tokens ) or attempt to overcome it using dice etc.
In this way, it is possible to overcome 2 Encounters in a single turn.(Location Action + Overcome Encounter )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Ryko
msg tools
well another question on the yawning chasm as there is one thing which is not quite clear to me as far as the amount of courage tokens is concerned . Let us say that I have decided to spend some tokens thanks to the yawning chasm special ability in order to overcome a card located at another location( say the sinister chateau as an example). Do I have to spend the cost of the very card at the other location OR the cost of the card located at the yawning chasm????
I'd rather say that it's the cost of the card locatd at the other location and not at the yawning chasm.
Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay the cost of the card at the other location. Then, if you still had enough courage tokens AND you wanted to do so, you could do a desperate act at the Yawning Chasm also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Ryko
msg tools
ok thanks a lot. Things appear not only ancient and terrible but also a lot clearer !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question: what happens to the resource token at the location whose encounter is overcome using the Yawning Chasm action? We have been discarding it, but it's not clear from the rules what to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
A related question: what happens to the resource token at the location whose encounter is overcome using the Yawning Chasm action? We have been discarding it, but it's not clear from the rules what to do with it.

Actually the rules are quite clear on this:

Yawning Chasm
When you place your pawn on the Yawning Chasm, you may perform a Desperate Act against any Encounter card in play. To do this, spend Courage tokens to immediately overcome an Encounter in any other Location and place that card in your score pile, returning any resource tokens on that Location to the supply.

(page 11)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that since I remember specifically reading that section looking for an answer to this very question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If u fail the encounter at the YC space, but have completed one with the location action, do u suffer the Terrible Thing effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.