Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be the "official" development thread for discussing the gradual evolution of the design. Consider it a continuation of the original Design Forum thread here: Emissary - The Decktet 4X / Civ Game

E M I S S A R Y
An intriguing game of territory building and espionage | 2-4 players / 15 min. per Player

In Emissary, players will explore locations on the “Map”, comprised of a grid of cards, and will then collect and use resources to build up influence in these locations. Locations that are adjacent and share a common suit form larger regions, over which players will compete for having the most relative influence. Points are awarded at the end of the game based on the size of each region as well as how much influence each player has in that region.

------------------------------
Emissary Rules v10a
------------------------------

2014-04-02
The rules draft v08 provides some significant changes to gameplay compared to the official rules posted on the Emissary page file section.

First, while the rules above remain playable using the Decktet with practically no changes, long-term I am planning to develop the game further using specially designed cards. I've been kicking around both a sci-fi Hegemonic inspired design, as well as a more Decktet-inspired fantasy landscape theme. Below are some working images of both the concepts:

Sci-fi / Hegemonic inspired card design.

Fantasy landscape inspired theme.

The major thing to note is that the cards include locations for placing the influence tokens (the circles) which also show which resources you need to spend to build there, so it takes a lot of the mental hoops out of the game compared to using the Decktet cards. Next to the suit colors/icons, it also shows the resource value of the cards, so that information is right there as well.

In terms of rule changes in comparison to the earlier versions, there are a number of subtle and not so subtle changes, so it probably merits a re-read of the full rules if you are interested. The major changes are this:

* Changes to the "Oust Action" (conflict action) in terms of how cards are used to bolster attacking and defending. All cards should be more viable while Crowns are slightly less overwhelming. Basically, Crowns only work for the attacker (so Crowns don't cancel each other), and Aces only work for the defender (specifically to protect against Crowns), while the Tier cards have different strengths whether attacking or defending.

* Changes to the results of conflicts to allow different actions to be taken by a winning attacker. You can move a token onto the card, or take a bonus influence action to build on the card, or take a bonus replace action to change the card entirely.

* Addition of a "Move" type action that doesn't initiate a conflict, but just allows you to relocate already placed tokens.

* Tweaks to the end-game triggers and better clarification.

* Optional "Special Ability" rules for extra Origin cards that turn the extra Origin cards into special 1-time use cards that provide a powerful ability subject to the card's suit. This still needs more testing.

I am planning to provide download links to sets of the custom cards in the near future, but I need to get those pulled together first.

That's it for now! Looking forward to hearing any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone following this thread - I posted a call for playtesting with the custom card designs on the design forums.

Please CHECK IT OUT if interested in helping with the playtesting effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kudric
Argentina
La Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds interesting...

i'd like to test it. which set of rules should i follow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the call for playtesting thread (linked above). Also newer version of the rules is linked in the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.