Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggling with whether I need to cut custom dice out of a design I'm working on. I'd really like to keep them for thematic reasons (it makes a big difference in my opinion), but don't want this to be a hurdle in pitching it to a publisher.

I'm looking at needing 16-20 count of a single die (just one mold). I'm guessing the game would retail for around $25-$30 MSRP. Is using a custom die going to hold me back? Should I reconsider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this may be your answer

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1132882/custom-dice-desi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link Todd but that isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to physically create my own dice for a prototype (that's easy enough with stickers), or self-publish and have to deal with the manufacturing costs.

I'm trying to figure out if the cost of a single custom die mold is too expensive to even bother including in a design with an MSRP of $20-$30. If I do this, is a publisher going to see the design and think it's too expensive to manufacturer and profit off of right off the bat when they play the prototype?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
I know these are in the UK, but they should be able to give you an idea -

http://www.dice.co.uk/fs_specialdice.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the print run. If you can get the print run up to 3K-5K, that should cover the costs of the custom die. Then again, I don't know what else the game has in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
It really depends on the print run. If you can get the print run up to 3K-5K, that should cover the costs of the custom die. Then again, I don't know what else the game has in it.

200-250 cards, a cardboard track for each player that's maybe 3"x6", and about 20 small cardboard tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
If I do this, is a publisher going to see the design and think it's too expensive to manufacturer and profit off of right off the bat when they play the prototype?

No. If the publisher likes your game they will find a way to publish it. A single custom die is not a deal breaker for any publisher that can get games onto store shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the worst case scenario, the publisher will just decide to revert to a D6 and a lookup table if it become cost prohibitive. You should concentrate on the design, the publisher concentrates on publishing issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

200-250 cards, a cardboard track for each player that's maybe 3"x6", and about 20 small cardboard tokens.

Sounds more like a $30 to $35 price range...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Struggling with whether I need to cut custom dice out of a design I'm working on. I'd really like to keep them for thematic reasons (it makes a big difference in my opinion), but don't want this to be a hurdle in pitching it to a publisher.

I'm looking at needing 16-20 count of a single die (just one mold). I'm guessing the game would retail for around $25-$30 MSRP. Is using a custom die going to hold me back? Should I reconsider?

I just backed a Kickstarter project that does laser-cut custom dice at quite an affordable price. It doesn't have to be expensive if you know where to look.

If you want the link, send me a private message. I don't want to be advertising on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anonymousmagic wrote:
charlest wrote:

I just backed a Kickstarter project that does laser-cut custom dice at quite an affordable price. It doesn't have to be expensive if you know where to look.

If you want the link, send me a private message. I don't want to be advertising on here.

No need to be secretive, Todd already posted the link above:
dumarest123 wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.