Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Hi!

Bedtime Heroes is close to its Kickstater campaign on the 6th of May and we've just finished filming our video. We thought a simple playthrough of the game would be the best way to showcase it.

While we're still editing the video and setting up the campaign page, we'd really appreciate some advice. Here's a link to the video:

http://youtu.be/T6AcV0JHp9I

I had a pretty bad cold (typical!) when we filmed it so I was struggling a bit, but we still managed to have some fun with it. I'd really appreciate any feedback on the video so please let me know!

Cheers,

Steve

EDIT - Fixed link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Bedtime Heroes Kickstarter video - feedback requested!
Video is private?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, fixed the problem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool game. The video is good, but it's far too long for a kickstarter in my opinion. There is a lot of content in that video that can be cut. People have short attention spans unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
Cool game. The video is good, but it's far too long for a kickstarter in my opinion. There is a lot of content in that video that can be cut. People have short attention spans unfortunately.

I agree, although it is very interesting to watch. Perhaps create two versions, once which is just a very basic overview and an invitation to watch the longer video if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the comments! Yes I've read that the video should only be about 2 minutes. Do you think a 6 minute video would harm the project? If so, would it be better to make two versions of the current video, or make a completely new 2 minute video that just described the game and showed artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the video is a bit too long, but very well made.
From what I can tell - you're going for a TableTop style with the mix of rule explanation over the gameplay footage. To me as a viewer the gameplay footage seemed excessive and I felt disengaged.

Not to sound rude, but the player interaction wasn't quite doing it for me. And there were a bit too many slo-mo dice rolls (awesome first time with sharply decreasing payoff).

If the purpose of the video is mostly to introduce the game - I would feature explanation of how the game worked and what you want to achieve with your Kickstarter. A video showing a few rounds of gameplay (much closer to what you posted) would be very appropriate and useful for those who want to learn more about the game.

Probably too close to launch for you to redo much of the video work, but that's just my 2 cents.

Game looks cool though - I will be sure to check out your KS. Best of luck with your project!

P.S. Really nice set - large images on the TV in the back were a great addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You say the game is for 2-5 players, but the title card says 2-6 players. FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you very much for the feedback.

I'm aware of the mistake, I have no idea why I said 2-5! Considering that and my lack of enthusiasm I'm considering re-recording the whole intro. It would be with an inferior camera but I think it will be worth it.

It's interesting that you weren't interested in our interactions (not rude at all, we need this sort of feedback). I think we can probably chop more sections out of that sequence.

Still 50/50 on whether to have two videos or not, maybe if we can get this one under 3 minutes I might keep it as the main KS vid, if not I can try to make a graphical one instead.

Thanks again and keep the feedback coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Carson
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the title video of your Kickstarter I would suggest talking a bit more about the campaign and what is included in backing. But definitely keep this video and post it near the top of the body of your kickstarter because it show the game play pretty well. I look forward to seeing this on KS. Thanks.

-Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Garza
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Cool! I subscribed to your youtube channel! I also am a card game creator and am fascinated and love pretty much every card game i come across, yours looks pretty interesting man, good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Awesome thanks I'm getting a graphical video in my head with sliding photos and a more appealing description of the game, maybe with me and Dave introducing it together and describing what the KS is all about. We're looking for a lot of feedback during the KS so it might be worth mentioning that in the vid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teel McClanahan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This video definitely feels more like a supplementary gameplay video, rather than a main KS pitch video. The main pitch video should be short, sure, but it needs to be more pitch than demo.

Generally, the pitch video needs to cover what the game is, what the gameplay is like (in a sentence or two, and definitely mention that dice are used to resolve combat), show the art, say what the funding is needed for, maybe mention past games/Kickstarters you've done, if you're planning stretch goals, if you have any interesting tiers other than the main "get the game" tier, and anything different/unusual you plan to do during the campaign (such as looking for player feedback). If there's going to be a PnP tier (or just a free PnP), you may want to mention that, too. Finally, you'll then also mention that you've got this great gameplay video on the page below.

It's a lot to cover in a short video, so you probably also want the edits and transitions to be quick/punchy if you have any; even in a short video, slo-motion and any pauses in dialogue can make things feel longer than they really are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
*** EXPLORIANA *** Coming Soon 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a Kickstarter project, the main video shouldn't be longer than 3 minutes unless you have a very good reason not to. This is your sales pitch and not a play-through/in-depth explanation of the game. It should be succinct and to the point. Near the top of the page, you should also have a game play video to help explain the game in a bit more detail. I would aim for about 5 minutes with this one.

You should also have a quick run-down of the mechanics and brief explanation of play on the Kickstarter page supported with a link to the rule book. It will also help to have video/written reviews linked on the page (with quotes) which explain how the game plays as well as that share their thoughts.

Personally, even though I think your game could interest me to pledge, I got bored of the video 2 minutes in and, unless your page managed to catch my attention, I would simply more on. It was well-produced, just not what you should be looking to do for your video. A long video can hurt a project as I've seen and have had experience with myself.

Best of luck!

– Miles
Chaos Publishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks so much for the feedback, really useful stuff. I've started writing a script for a completely new video that I'll keep short and sweet, with scrolling images/video of the game cut in between. The current video will be edited down and kept as a gameplay video for later in the KS.

I'll post it here again for more feedback. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
We ended up totally redoing the video which was really needed, so thanks for the advice I've written an article about the whole process which should be on Jamey Stonemaier's blog next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve. You might want to remove the Kickstarter link in that last comment (maybe replace it with a link to the project on Kicktraq) as the moderators on BGG tend to nuke threads containing links direct to Kickstarter.

I'd encourage folks to take a look at the project, though -- it's a nice little game that deserves more attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Oh thank you! I didn't know. And thanks for writing a blog piece about it

Here's the KickTraq link:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/118018119/bedtime-heroes-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.