Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
we (3 gamers) are planing to organize a flea market where board games can be sold/bought by anybody. (So we will not be the only sellers at all.). It will take place at a community center, which is also the meeting place of a regular gaming group. Furthermore there will be an ordinary general flea market next to the building at the same time. Using these 2 advantages and advertising it (also here at bgg) we plan on getting some attention.
We are mostly aiming for games for players from 8 ages up.
We do not want to raise/earn any money with this, we just felt a lack of a flea market where one can buy proper games in our city, so we decided to set up one ourselves. We are doing it for the first time, so it´s also some kind of an experiment...

Which tipps can you give us? What to keep in mind? Have you done something like that before?

Our temporary list of things to arganize:
- tables/chairs
- a solution for bad weather
- maybe some bags to giveaway
- fee for sellers?? (rather not I guess)
- maybe some batteries
- advertisement
(- the games we will try to sell ourself)
... to be continued

Thanks for your tipps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took part in a flea market that someone else had set up right before Christmas. It worked out really well IMO. He had it set up in his basement and advertised on a local classified and Craigslist. There were 3 of us there and we sold all sorts of games included party games, family games, strategy games and kids games. The guy running it ran a special where he would give away a game if you bought 3 of them, I or the other seller didn't run such a special but still did pretty well. He ran it two weeks because the first week there was a heavy snowstorm in the area, so attendance wasn't as strong. I could not attend the second week, but I was told it went really well with the better weather.

I don't see why you would charge a fee to sellers unless you are splitting the cost of the place you running the flea market from. the biggest thing I think for us was to advertise and gave people a sneak preview of some of the games we were going to have for sale.

good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The community center might not allow you to charge a fee.

I would think you would need a booth or table at the outside flea market, nearest to the door to yours, to advertise your section and divert people over. You might have children's games at that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks so far. Maybe I should add that the flea market will only last for ONE day (more precisely: one afternoon)!
About the fees: Like I said, I am currently not planning to set up any, I just mentioned it, because it is very common to have fees for every booth (or every "metre") at ordinary flea markets in Germany.
Keep answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.