Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion» Forums » General

Subject: Volkare's Return (Epic) with 4 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey guys. I just finished running a very successful PbF tutorial game (First Reconaissance) for 3 newbies, and they want more! They seemed interested in trying full co-op, so we landed on Volkare's Return (Epic).

The thing is, there are (at least) 4 people who'd like to play, and I'd love to include them all, but I don't want to compromise fun or playability to do it. So, how viable is 4 player Volkare's Return in practice? Does it get very bogged down? Is there a glaring resource problem, with spells or advanced action, for instance?

Basically, do you guys think it's a good idea or not?

(Big, big shoutouts to Benkyo for making all this possible. Thanks so much!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
ParanĂ¡
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PbF?? well, I never played PbF, but I think it's ok!

Otherwise, in a presential game I don't recommend because of the downtime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volkare is MUCH harder than the base game.

Start with city combat before you even try Volkare, co-op conquer.

Otherwise you are going to have to explain multiple unit combat where the badguys have 8-10 units... And that monster might just attack them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashenai wrote:
Hey guys. I just finished running a very successful PbF tutorial game (First Reconaissance) for 3 newbies, and they want more! They seemed interested in trying full co-op, so we landed on Volkare's Return (Epic).

The thing is, there are (at least) 4 people who'd like to play, and I'd love to include them all, but I don't want to compromise fun or playability to do it. So, how viable is 4 player Volkare's Return in practice? Does it get very bogged down? Is there a glaring resource problem, with spells or advanced action, for instance?

Basically, do you guys think it's a good idea or not?

(Big, big shoutouts to Benkyo for making all this possible. Thanks so much!)

I've played several of games of the Volkare's return scenario 4 player with my brother (2 mage knights each) and we had no problem with spells or advanced actions, they never ran out. Once or twice, with the white city and all the monasteries out, the advanced actions deck came down to 10 or so cards, but never below that. Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't know how a PBF game with 4 players would work, because I never played PBF before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Volkare's Return is hard, but there are enough cards. We've played it f2f several times and never had deck issues.

Does it get bogged down? Well, there's a lot of discussion about who should go where and when and where the city needs to be revealed to draw Volkare, and some discussion on division of his armies, but while that takes time, I wouldn't consider that "bogging" so much as the meat of the cooperative nature of this particular scenario.

Do I think it's a good idea? No. They crawled (First Recon): they should learn to walk before they try to run. Conquering cities cooperatively will prove enough of a challenge that they don't need the extra face-whacking that Volkare would provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the replies! The forum is a board for pretty experienced Magic the Gathering players; they're used to picking up rules quickly and optimizing plays! I was quite impressed with their play during First Recon, which is why I feel they can handle Volkare (on Daring/Fair.) A PbF format also allows for plenty of time to think of plays and come to grips with rules.

(Here's the tutorial game we played, if anyone's interested.)

I think I'd like to try out Volkare anyway. Maybe it's biting off more than we can chew, but we won't know until we try!

Thanks for the advice. We'll go to 4 players! Whether we succeed or fail, expect a session report in a few weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb Pod
msg tools
Just tried the "control 2 mage knights each" against volkare last night. It started really slow, but once we were able to split up the mageknights the pace picked up. Pretty fun to have such a wide choice of skills when leveling up!

Here's the bummer: Literally lost the game on Volkare's final role. We had just enough to kill the last unit, but he roled black, which comes with paralyze and that was game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It took a month, but we're just about done! I'm happy to report that the game went great and the four newbies absolutely curbstomped Volkare on Daring/Fair.

Here is the game thread. Technically, the game is not quite over, but Volkare only has 6 regular and no elite units left, and all four characters have plenty of resources. Only the mopping up is left. I'll do a session report when we're entirely finished. Suffice it to say that the play-by-forum format gives players the gift of time, which is very helpful and mitigates a lot of the "newbie confusion". The players came up with some very clever tactics and executed them well.

Thank you all for your advice! I suspect we'll be playing this game more on the forum, but at higher difficulties. Poor Volkare didn't stand a chance. I have also prepared a helpful (although clearly incomplete) diagram for the climactic battle, enjoy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.