Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is the Mercs: Recon Kickstarter's Myth level pledge kind of expensive. In the Myth Kickstarter the Spriggan cost $15 while 3 agents cost $25...so I am not sure how they can justify 2 minis with 25 cards for $40.

Just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hero is not unlocked yet. So it's $40 for just the agent so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They tried to entice everyone by saying, "Trust us, it will be very cool!", alluding to future unlocks that may or may not happen...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
They tried to entice everyone by saying, "Trust us, it will be very cool!", alluding to future unlocks that may or may not happen...

-shnar

Yea...I am not sure how many of the current Myth-level pledgers are going to stick around. Quite expensive to spend $40 for 2 models and 25 cards.

Funny thing is the next Myth goal (and last one) are 4 more miniatures...which looks like minion level as well. Not sure how MegaCon can justify these prices. Guess after their $900,000 Kickstarter they realized they can price their items for anything and get people to purchase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
I was talking about this on their comments in the kickstarters. I'm with you guys. I decided to back at the myth level though to try and push it, but if there isn't anything good past the infected or if it doesn't even reach that high I'm out, and a lot of other backers are too. My thinking is that they originally didn't want to even have this level though. Also its $56 usd for international backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a thread running rampant on this already. I'll keep my comment brief.

Value in such cases is subjective to each person. For example, Shnar and I would disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things -

1) They chose to give a Myth backing level after many requests from Myth backers who may or may not have interest in Recon. I commend their willingness to meet the backers halfway. They didn't have to offer this at all.

2) It is not in their business interest to make the price 'good value for money' when compared with the other Recon pledges. They want people to pledge higher and be enthusiastic about the Recon products rather than solely about Myth. Greater pledge = greater reward.

That said, I agree with you. I am hoping we receive more information about theses crossovers so we can make an informed decision prior to KS closing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chimaerical wrote:
Two things -

1) They chose to give a Myth backing level after many requests from Myth backers who may or may not have interest in Recon. I commend their willingness to meet the backers halfway. They didn't have to offer this at all.

2) It is not in their business interest to make the price 'good value for money' when compared with the other Recon pledges. They want people to pledge higher and be enthusiastic about the Recon products rather than solely about Myth. Greater pledge = greater reward.

That said, I agree with you. I am hoping we receive more information about theses crossovers so we can make an informed decision prior to KS closing.

#2 makes sense. But, why are they offering exclusives on this Kickstarter for another game...but at the same time, refuse to offer the original Captain level pledge as an addon

I appreciate their willingness to offer this pledge, but $40 is a bit too expensive for what we are getting. If it was priced $20, I would jump in both feet I think.

Unfortunately, Recon doesn't really look that appealing to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget to ask if they're in metal or plastic! laugh

In small quantities, both are expensive / REALLY expensive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

It should pay off after they start selling at retail. I thought the point of Kickstarter is to setup infrastructure and these initial costs of making plastic or metal molds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad I have a friend backing Recon and doesn't own Myth, they're going to pass along the Myth stuff and I'll just proxy the
dude(s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jawmonkey wrote:
I'm just glad I have a friend backing Recon and doesn't own Myth, they're going to pass along the Myth stuff and I'll just proxy the
dude(s)

oooo...good idea! (especially if someone posts scans of the cards). Could print it online and should be good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:

There is a thread running rampant on this already. I'll keep my comment brief.

Value in such cases is subjective to each person. For example, Shnar and I would disagree.

Heh, I never said it wasn't worth it, I just said at the beginning, they said something to the effect that you should pledge now, even though it's only (at the time) one figure, since there will be future unlocks that would make it worth it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe they actually got "lots of requests" from Myth backers.

That was just an excuse for them to spam us with requests for more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I sincerely hope it's not a sign of prices to come for future Myth products.

Telling you guys now, support at this price and you are supporting all future products at this absurd level.

Either buy Recon or get out. I am against anyone pledging at the Myth level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They haven't touched on future pricing as of yet and I would be interested to hear where the RRP is likely to fall.

I think most Myth pledges are being bought due to concerns of exclusivity. They don't want to throw down for Recon and also do not wish to 'miss out' on content for Myth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gain wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

It should pay off after they start selling at retail. I thought the point of Kickstarter is to setup infrastructure and these initial costs of making plastic or metal molds.

They are KS exclusive so will not be offered at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
chimaerical wrote:

The problem is, you are commending them for offering the Myth pledge level, but overlooking that there shouldn't be any need for one. The Myth stuff just shouldn't be in this Kickstarter, and it is has been included to hook the Myth backers and bump the success of an unrelated product.

And now they are saying that the hunter will not have card sleeves, but they are going to offer them in the next Myth Kickstarter. This is just trying to hook and string along Myth backers again, rolling product into the next "wave" to keep people chucking money at it.

There are always going to be the people who think the Myth pledge is okay, and people who don't, and never the twain shall meet. I think people just have to judge carefully and make the right call for them. I am voting with my wallet, but I severely doubt my $56 is going to make MCG sit up and take notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Myth pledge itself isn't really a problem despite not liking crossovers. But at least they've come up with a solution for those that want Myth stuff other then just pledging on Recon. But the value for the Myth only pledge isn't there at the moment, and doesn't look like it will be either. Plus the problem non-US backers have of not having played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Digitalwolfe wrote:
I don't believe they actually got "lots of requests" from Myth backers.

That was just an excuse for them to spam us with requests for more money.

rightttttttt. I'm sure we all imagined the update where they mentioned that the myth recon crossover was available only if you pledge the for recon and the big hoohah it caused in the comment session with people complaining that MCG was betraying them and have no faith in recon and hence has to force people into backing recon instead of having a separate pledge level for myth backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about giving them support now and ask for more Mythe related SG to make the pledge worth it?
They listen to backers quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
What about giving them support now and ask for more Mythe related SG to make the pledge worth it?

Because then what happens when people start dropping their pledges if the value isn't delivered? I think it's likely (unless the campaign somehow blows up via another Kingdom Death-esque promotional boost) that we'll see the Myth pledges drop off in the last 48. It's not ultimately going to affect whether the project is funded, but it potentially could reduce funds/backers below an already-achieved stretch goal. That's happened in other projects (Smash Monster Rampage!, iirc) and it's always a clusterfuck to deal with.

I don't think there's ever a reason to pledge at a nonlimited tier to "wait and see." I already have the project starred and will take a look when the 48-hr notice goes out. If it's value for money, isn't it better ultimately for the project that I pledge later and stay "in" (or not pledge at all) rather than pledge and back out?

I've taken a glance at the comments and people complain a LOT about "troll backers" who cancel or change their pledges. So it seems even the majority there would rather people not pledge until they're committed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
gain wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

They are KS exclusive so will not be offered at retail.

Well....more reason to not have KS exclusive items!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
chimaerical wrote:

The problem is, you are commending them for offering the Myth pledge level, but overlooking that there shouldn't be any need for one. The Myth stuff just shouldn't be in this Kickstarter, and it is has been included to hook the Myth backers and bump the success of an unrelated product.

And now they are saying that the hunter will not have card sleeves, but they are going to offer them in the next Myth Kickstarter. This is just trying to hook and string along Myth backers again, rolling product into the next "wave" to keep people chucking money at it.

There are always going to be the people who think the Myth pledge is okay, and people who don't, and never the twain shall meet. I think people just have to judge carefully and make the right call for them. I am voting with my wallet, but I severely doubt my $56 is going to make MCG sit up and take notice.

The simple matter is that I didn't want to touch the issue of KS exculsivity and cross promotions. There are enough thread discussions on this and I did not wish to move this on in that direction.

Yes, I wish that the Myth content was kept separate but that decision is not mine to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
okocnar wrote:

Because then what happens when people start dropping their pledges if the value isn't delivered? I think it's likely (unless the campaign somehow blows up via another Kingdom Death-esque promotional boost) that we'll see the Myth pledges drop off in the last 48. It's not ultimately going to affect whether the project is funded, but it potentially could reduce funds/backers below an already-achieved stretch goal. That's happened in other projects (Smash Monster Rampage!, iirc) and it's always a clusterfuck to deal with.

I don't think there's ever a reason to pledge at a nonlimited tier to "wait and see." I already have the project starred and will take a look when the 48-hr notice goes out. If it's value for money, isn't it better ultimately for the project that I pledge later and stay "in" (or not pledge at all) rather than pledge and back out?

I've taken a glance at the comments and people complain a LOT about "troll backers" who cancel or change their pledges. So it seems even the majority there would rather people not pledge until they're committed.

Except if everyone sat back until 48 to see the value, then they'll never get to those stretch goals or push the project forward unlocking additional material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.