Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Here is a thread where you can complain about STAW and feel smug about it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right...

You now have your very own forum thread to complain in...
No more wasting time to take over other threads...
No more arguing with others...

What's that?

Janeway is higher than Sisko... Preposterous
That guy I played rolled too many dice
This card is broken
Look at this awful paint job
These models are not too scale... toooooo scale!
Where are my previews iwantthemnow!
etc.

These are only suggestions, please feel free to find other things to complain about.

Yours sincerererererely,
Kinkykone.

(as an aside, c'mon, just... c'mon guys... am I right?)
(as another aside, this is a joke but seriously...c'mon guys...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what are we going to do in all the other threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

Argue about faction purity, I imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

Faction purity is stu-pid whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(takes a deep breath)
I find this game too light and abstract.
Ships can't stop in place, despite the fact that "all stop" is one of the frequently used Enterprise maneuvers.
You can really see the dogfighting roots.
There should be some Vor'cha, Warbirds, and Galaxy class cruisers available as expansions.
It's weird that ships only have three or four crew members.
Is it weird that I can have three tactical officers and no pilot?
Torpedoes being more accurate at longer range doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I want a separate dice pack! X-Wing has one! Waaahh!
Having to sacrifice your target lock is annoying, and reduces the move-action-shoot fun of the game. Just because a target lock is necessary, doesn't mean you shouldn't still reap the rewards.
What's with the Romulans? I expected them to have a fleet of warbirds, not a fleet of tiny scouts and shuttles. No one ever went to Red Alert because three Romulan science vessels were about to destroy the Enterprise. The generic Warbird should have been one of the most awesome ships within its class.
Not having a resource in this game makes things kind of wacky. Why do some effects give an auxillery power token, disable a shield, give a disable token, cost an action, or must be discarded? It seems like some of these "prices" were chosen at random.
OP Exclusive sucks if you're not playing OP. I like the idea of a delayed release for OP exclusives. I know it will never happen, but I still think its a good idea. I want to collect everything*! Waaah!
If I can mix ships and crew and create weird "what if" scenarios, why can't I have a scenario where Wesley Crusher or Harry Kim is captain? Or at least Jadzia Dax -- she actually did command the Defiant during the war.
Why is there no "Transporter Action"? I get sick of reading "if you are decloaked, you may disable your remaining shields to target a ship that has no active shields so that you can..." Dude, we get it. It's a transporter. Put that paragraph in the rules and move on.
Rules for boarding parties would have been sweet. Sisko can use Bat'leth!
How come I can't equip a first officer? You know, in case my captain is disabled or something.
(inhales)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:

Hey, hey, hey, we're not here to judge.
We have to accept these people, give them room to express themselves and their ideas. They have sat in silence too long and their needs have gone unheard. They must rise up now and flood this thread, wailing down upon the inherent structures that foil their every thematic recourse and sensibilities.

They will not be heard otherwise, their cries falling on deaf, unknowledgable ears too wrapped up in their own enjoyment to see how wrong, wrong they are to have fun with this game. How dare they, how dare anyone make a system that is not so absolute in it's depiction of our beloved fandom. How could you not see we are just fooling ourselves. How is anyone still reading this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
(takes a deep breath)
I find this game too light and abstract.
Ships can't stop in place, despite the fact that "all stop" is one of the frequently used Enterprise maneuvers.
You can really see the dogfighting roots.
There should be some Vor'cha, Warbirds, and Galaxy class cruisers available as expansions.
It's weird that ships only have three or four crew members.
Is it weird that I can have three tactical officers and no pilot?
Torpedoes being more accurate at longer range doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Having to sacrifice your target lock is annoying, and reduces the move-action-shoot fun of the game. Just because a target lock is necessary, doesn't mean you shouldn't still reap the rewards.
What's with the Romulans? I expected them to have a fleet of warbirds, not a fleet of tiny scouts and shuttles. No one ever went to Red Alert because three Romulan science vessels were about to destroy the Enterprise. The generic Warbird should have been one of the most awesome ships within its class.
Not having a resource in this game makes things kind of wacky. Why do some effects give an auxillery power token, disable a shield, give a disable token, cost an action, or must be discarded? It seems like some of these "prices" were chosen at random.
OP Exclusive sucks if you're not playing OP. I like the idea of a delayed release for OP exclusives. I know it will never happen, but I still think its a good idea. I want to collect everything*! Waaah!
If I can mix ships and crew and create weird "what if" scenarios, why can't I have a scenario where Wesley Crusher or Harry Kim is captain? Or at least Jadzia Dax -- she actually did command the Defiant during the war.
Why is there no "Transporter Action"? I get sick of reading "if you are decloaked, you may disable your remaining shields to target a ship that has no active shields so that you can..." Dude, we get it. It's a transporter. Put that paragraph in the rules and move on.
How come I can't equip a first officer? You know, in case my captain is disabled or something.
(inhales)

I don't think the bolded part is a complaint, that should be FAQ'd in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is Wizkids must HATE us all and not care about their customers. Why the frell else would they post a picture but then make sure that we cannot read/translate it? I mean, it's obvious. They are mocking us all and don't care about our money! That's it, I RAGE QUIT!!!! cry

(obvious sarcasm) devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

What do you think they argue about over in the X-Wing section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
rtsuk wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

How hard it really is to bullseye womp rats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
rtsuk wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

That and whether or not a seven-month gap in previews is a sign that the next wave's been delayed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I am entitled to all of the spaceships, and any scheme that does not allow me to have all the spaceships in exactly the manner I want is a violation of my human rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Brilliant!

lordrahvin wrote:

Waaaay back in July of last year, before the game was even out, I was asking for Full Stop and Andrew had this response.

I made my own anyway:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
(takes a deep breath)
(inhales)

So buy the X-wing dice pack. They have the same exact values on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazbot wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
(takes a deep breath)
(inhales)

So buy the X-wing dice pack. They have the same exact values on them.

That sounds like a considered answer, are you sure you're in the right place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
rtsuk wrote:
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
rtsuk wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

That and whether or not a seven-month gap in previews is a sign that the next wave's been delayed

Actually they are surprisingly forgiving of that. They seem to like the slow release schedule. In fact they are a very harmonious group. We would all be bored if we spent too much time over there. Most of them like alternate art cards for prize support and have strong negative feelings about limited edition prize ships. On rare occasions they'll unite to trash talk ST:AW, but no worse than happens over here.

About the only thing I've seen them get riled up about is EU ships. That's their version of the faction purity war, although even that has died down recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
I am entitled to all of the spaceships, and any scheme that does not allow me to have all the spaceships in exactly the manner I want is a violation of my human rights.

Sarcasm aside, that is my actual complaint. I've said it several times. It's not entitlement, it's supply and demand and it's smart business. Not to mention it means an equal playing field.

When you run OP tournament events and players have access to ships and cards (some very powerful) that other players don't have access to that is unfair. Furthermore, releasing them at a later date would just be smart, because Wizkids doesn't make any money from over-inflated secondary market sales of these items.

If we're supposed to be complaining sarcastically, then waaaah blind buy-in.

But seriously, the unfair playing field is only going to get worse as more and more ships come out that everyone can't have access to. If they don't remedy that in the long run, that's bad business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
alepperd wrote:

Sarcasm aside, that is my actual complaint. I've said it several times. It's not entitlement, it's supply and demand and it's smart business. Not to mention it means an equal playing field.

When you run OP tournament events and players have access to ships and cards (some very powerful) that other players don't have access to that is unfair. Furthermore, releasing them at a later date would just be smart, because Wizkids doesn't make any money from over-inflated secondary market sales of these items.

If we're supposed to be complaining sarcastically, then waaaah blind buy-in.

But seriously, the unfair playing field is only going to get worse as more and more ships come out that everyone can't have access to. If they don't remedy that in the long run, that's bad business.

This business model has worked for them for a while. Personally I like it for attack wing. I wouldn't pay to play in OP events for alternate art cards, that's lame IMHO. I can get more enjoyment playing casual games for free. To each their own though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Brilliant!

lordrahvin wrote:

Waaaay back in July of last year, before the game was even out, I was asking for Full Stop and Andrew had this response.

Looks like the dragons get full stop (okay the ballista at least)!

I think it'd be nifty to make it a red maneuver. Then you'd naturally have a slow start (to clear aux), would have a penalty, and you couldn't just keep doing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Brilliant!

lordrahvin wrote:

I made my own anyway:

Looks like the dragons get full stop!

I think it'd be nifty to make it a red maneuver. Then you'd naturally have a slow start (to clear aux), would have a penalty, and you couldn't just keep doing it!

The rare humming bird/dragon hybrid can hover, go side to side, and backwards for 20-30 minutes without landing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part about having a Transporter Action is that you could trigger effects off it. "When you take a Transporter Action...", for example, or "after a successful Transporter Action", or even a modifier; "you may disable one less shield when taking a Transporter action". It's a little harder to do that with the current wording.

The base set came with O'brien, the Enterprise's transporter chief. It would have been nice if he improved other crew's Transporter Actions somehow or made them easier.

I'd still use the other O'brien though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:

This business model has worked for them for a while. Personally I like it for attack wing. I wouldn't pay to play in OP events for alternate art cards, that's lame IMHO. I can get more enjoyment playing casual games for free. To each their own though.

Well, in my case it means that FFG has a cool 300-400€ of my money more, while Wizkids has about 100€ (I have bought a couple ships when they were relatively cheap... guess I should add them to my collection...), and given the frequency of the complaint, I have a hard time imagining that I'm the exception here.

Literally the only thing that kept me back from jumping in (Forget model and paintjob quality, release schedules, faction purity and all that), made me wait until the stuff was relatively cheap, and will continue to keep me from buying into waves as they come along (Or the existing stuff I don't own yet) -unless I can find them at a significant discount- is the fact that Wizkids expects me to buy into their tournament scheme to get access to all the game options (and even mechanics, as far as resources are concerned!).

"Well, this turn I'll do extra damage."
"Wait, why?"
"Because I went to the game store a year ago."
"... Great..."

This is made even worse by the fact that, short of paying 500% markups to scalpers or building a time machine, many of those options are simply *gone*, and the problem will grow worse, not better, as long as this continues.
I have an ulterior motive of course (I'd like to really get into the game, but not under these kinds of conditions, but at any rate, my ulterior motive involves giving them my money), but so do they (They believe that sacrificing potential customer influx in favour of squeezing more money out of existing customers will make them more money), and at the end of the day I have no statistics to prove that they're shooting themselves in the foot with their strategy, but I'd be curious, given the strength of both licenses (ST and SW), how both game systems fare compared to each other.

The way I see it, FFG gives me the opportunity to get a neat, not necessary bonus by participating, and is otherwise satisfied to do business with me as long as I'm willing to pay for their product. Wizkids on the other hand punishes me for not dancing to their tune.

One thing though:
Quote:
I can get more enjoyment playing casual games for free.

Am I reading this correctly in that you're saying that you pay to play in the tournaments, despite enjoying them less than "casual games" (Aside, is "no exclusive power creep" the definition of casual?), in order to get more stuff for the game, so that you can continue to pay for playing in the tournaments, so that you can continue to get more stuff for the game.... that by this logic you enjoy less than other games?

Consider this my whine for the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
[q="Tacullu64"]

One thing though:
Quote:
I can get more enjoyment playing casual games for free.

Am I reading this correctly in that you're saying that you pay to play in the tournaments, despite enjoying them less than "casual games" (Aside, is "no exclusive power creep" the definition of casual?), in order to get more stuff for the game, so that you can continue to pay for playing in the tournaments, so that you can continue to get more stuff for the game.... that by this logic you enjoy less than other games?

Consider this my whine for the day.

First let me say that I enjoy OP events too or I wouldn't play in them.

You are way over thinking this. I enjoy casual play more because there is no time clock. I finish every game at a comfortable pace. If we feel like joking around and taking our time we can, if we want to get serious and competitive we can do that too. The statement you quoted applies to all tournament scenes not just ST:AW.

I don't care about alternate art, it doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game for me. To me it's boring. The Wedge card that came with my x-wing expansion is still working just fine, what do I need the alternate art card for? If you like them, I'm glad for you, but they hold no interest for me. Back in the day, when I still played MtG, foil cards held no interest for me either. Who cares if your deck is all shiny, my non-shiny cards play just the same.

So, if I'm going to choose to pay to play in an OP event as opposed to playing a casual game with a friend for free, yeah, I appreciate the fun participation prizes I get, and I appreciate the chance to win a limited addition prize ship. Honestly I don't care if they sell to the general public sometime down the road.

Hopefully this will help clarify my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.