Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Shadrix
United States
Colbert
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with the experts, do you still remove six tiles when setting up a 2/3 player game? For several of the modules, you are suppose to remove three tiles during set up. If you played with all of the modules and the normal 2/3 player rules , you could be removing 15 tiles during set up. This seems like a lot.

Is this done to keep the game at 45 minutes or is there some other reason? If I like a longer game with the possibility of drawing any tile, could I play with all the tiles? Is there another issue I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Bradley

ps Pearl Games rock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Beurivé
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would really like to know the answers to these questions, too.

In the meantime, you can always have a look at this great variant: a-natural-topology-variant-for-2-3-and-5-players by icarusmustburn, and remove as few tiles as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWM
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer to the original question is, yes, if you want to play by the strict reading of the rules.

In almost 20 games of Ginkgopolis, I have never removed any tiles, either with the expansion or without. I have always been of the opinion that more tile draws allow for more strategy. I cannot imagine the game is improved by removing any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Wraith
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm only guessing but maybe removing tiles shall increase the chance of the tiles running out. In that case, the players can trade tiles for success points. If you don't remove any tiles, the games often will end because one player has used up all of his resources.

Having to decide which tiles to trade for success points is an interesting part of the game.

This would also explain why further 3 tiles have to be removed from the game per expansion module. If you wouldn't remove 15 tiles in your example, you would probably never run out of tiles in a 2 player game because there are so many expansion tiles in the game which can be taken by the players instead of standard tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Red Wraith may have inadvertently answered the question I had about the expansion. So the tile removal costs are cumulative per module? Good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.