Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning a project that could possibly make my copy of BSG playable by the blind, which would give my chances of playing it locally with friends a considerable boost. To do so, I'm planning on sleeving every card, then using Avery square labels to print plain text QR codes to stick on a corner of the back of each card.

I know this kind of question has been addressed before, but I have a few extra requirements. Plus, there's the fact that I don't have Daybreak yet. If this takes off and I can actually get some local f2f games going, I will definitely pick up Daybreak, but it's frustrating enough having BSG, Pegasus, and Exodus just sitting on the shelf, taunting me.

First of all, every card used would need a sleeve, including things like the Crisis cards, the Objective cards, and even the President/Admiral role cards. Second, I'm trying to figure out which cards I can leave out of the process entirely (for example, the President and Admiral cards that are replaced in Pegasus).

The numbers of cards are:

Base: 128 Small, 110 Large
Pegasus: 64 Small, 84 Large
Exodus: 28 Small, 110 Large
Daybreak: 77 Small, 52 Large

Total: 297 Small, 381 Large

I figure that from the base game, I can leave out the 7 Investigative Committees, the President and Admiral cards, and the Sympathizer Loyalty card (if we have an even number, we'll play the official No Sympathizer variant). I can also leave the Sympathetic Cylon out for the same reason.

I've heard that the Motives from Daybreak pretty much eliminate any need for the Pegasus Agendas, and that the Treachery cards in Daybreak fully replace the Pegasus Treachery cards.

Can the Motives be played with, say, just base and Pegasus? How about the new Treachery cards? Or do they absolutely require other Daybreak elements?

I suppose it might not make a difference for the sleeves, since they come in packs of 50, but if I'm not going to need the Pegasus Treachery cards anyway, why bother with 'em?

And are there any other obsolete cards I'm missing from either the base game or any expansion?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many sleeves for the whole shebang, leaving out obsolescent cards?
Regarding "obsolete" cards, it's up to you how you feel about the Cylon Fleet Board vs. the original Cylon Attack mechanic.

If you think you might use one or the other sometimes, then you should sleeve them all.

If you think you will exclusively use the Cylon Fleet Board, then you do not need to sleeve any of the Cylon Attack Crises or Cylon Attack Super Crises from Base, Pegasus, or Daybreak, in addition to the Mining Asteroid Destination.

If you think you will exclusively use Cylon Attacks, then you do not need to sleeve the CAG Title Card or the "CAG Chooses" Crises.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many sleeves for the whole shebang, leaving out obsolescent cards?
The Daybreak Treachery and Motive cards do require Mutiny, which is a Daybreak mechanic.

Other than that, it's a matter of ruling out options that aren't used very often but would let you not bother with a lot of cards. New Caprica (The NC Crises and Pegasus titles) and Ionian Nebula (Allies, Crossroads cards) would be two more contenders.

Would you have problems when somebody needs to examine something secretly other than a card? Civvies, damage tokens, and trauma tokens all have some case where one player would get to look at them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Motive Cards and Treachery Cards obsolete the Pegasus Agenda cards and Treachery Cards as you said.

Depending on your choice of destination, Earth Mission cards (8?) can obsolete New Caprica Crisis Cards or Ionian Nebula Crossroads Cards, and there's the Destination Card too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Regarding "obsolete" cards, it's up to you how you feel about the Cylon Fleet Board vs. the original Cylon Attack mechanic.

Arg, stupid brain. Fixed now (I think). I could see things going either way with the CFB. It gets such mixed reactions, like New Caprica. So I think with stuff like that, I'll sleeve it all.

GregF wrote:
The Daybreak Treachery and Motive cards do require Mutiny, which is a Daybreak mechanic.

I was afraid of that. C'est la vie.

GregF wrote:
Would you have problems when somebody needs to examine something secretly other than a card? Civvies, damage tokens, and trauma tokens all have some case where one player would get to look at them.

I've been trying to figure out a potential solution for the trauma tokens, but I completely forgot about civvies. shake I was about to ask why the damage tokens would need that secrecy, but then remembered the reveal power. Oh BSG, why won't you let people easily love you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although minor, I leave all 6 of my title cards unsleeved since there's no hidden info there (admiral: base game, +NC, or +CFB; pres.: base game or NC; CAG).

Also leave other such cards unsleeved too, like Infiltration from Pegasus and Daybreak. You only need one of these anyways... the text is identical, they just took a paragraph and moved it to the end of the card.

I don't sleeve my skill cards (it was already too late by then ), but I wouldn't sleeve the objective cards (Kobol, NC, IN, and Earth).

Only sleeve Peg treachery if you suspect you'll go back to a Daybreak-less game. Otherwise, as pointed out, 4 treachery cards from Daybreak have effects that utilize Mutiny.

Leave out cards where you won't use the respective objectives. NC, leave out NC crisis deck. IN, leave out Crossroads and Ally cards. Leave out 8 Mission cards if you won't bother using Earth.

You can technically leave out the Motive AND Agenda cards if you'll never bother with CL. Though rare, I've heard of some groups who NEVER do CL, favoring Mutr., or No-symp or whatever if no Daybreak.

nbergom wrote:
I'm planning a project that could possibly make my copy of BSG playable by the blind, which would give my chances of playing it locally with friends a considerable boost. To do so, I'm planning on sleeving every card, then using Avery square labels to print plain text QR codes to stick on a corner of the back of each card.

I know this kind of question has been addressed before, but I have a few extra requirements. Plus, there's the fact that I don't have Daybreak yet. If this takes off and I can actually get some local f2f games going, I will definitely pick up Daybreak, but it's frustrating enough having BSG, Pegasus, and Exodus just sitting on the shelf, taunting me.

First of all, every card used would need a sleeve, including things like the Crisis cards, the Objective cards, and even the President/Admiral role cards. Second, I'm trying to figure out which cards I can leave out of the process entirely (for example, the President and Admiral cards that are replaced in Pegasus).

The numbers of cards are:

Base: 128 Small, 110 Large
Pegasus: 64 Small, 84 Large
Exodus: 28 Small, 110 Large
Daybreak: 77 Small, 52 Large

Total: 297 Small, 381 Large

I figure that from the base game, I can leave out the 7 Investigative Committees, the President and Admiral cards, and the Sympathizer Loyalty card (if we have an even number, we'll play the official No Sympathizer variant). I can also leave the Sympathetic Cylon out for the same reason.

I've heard that the Motives from Daybreak pretty much eliminate any need for the Pegasus Agendas, and that the Treachery cards in Daybreak fully replace the Pegasus Treachery cards.

Can the Motives be played with, say, just base and Pegasus? How about the new Treachery cards? Or do they absolutely require other Daybreak elements?

I suppose it might not make a difference for the sleeves, since they come in packs of 50, but if I'm not going to need the Pegasus Treachery cards anyway, why bother with 'em?

And are there any other obsolete cards I'm missing from either the base game or any expansion?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a potential solution for the trauma tokens, but I completely forgot about civvies. :shake: I was about to ask why the damage tokens would need that secrecy, but then remembered the reveal power. Oh BSG, why won't you let people easily love you?


The reveal power, and the Basestar Bridge ability that lets you draw two damage tokens and pick one. At least in both cases the person doing so is a revealed Cylon, so there isn't as much of a question about motivations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
nbergom wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a potential solution for the trauma tokens, but I completely forgot about civvies. shake I was about to ask why the damage tokens would need that secrecy, but then remembered the reveal power. Oh BSG, why won't you let people easily love you?


The reveal power, and the Basestar Bridge ability that lets you draw two damage tokens and pick one. At least in both cases the person doing so is a revealed Cylon, so there isn't as much of a question about motivations.
A CL/Symp-Cylon can use BB, so he'd want to conceal what the other damage token was.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
GregF wrote:
nbergom wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a potential solution for the trauma tokens, but I completely forgot about civvies. shake I was about to ask why the damage tokens would need that secrecy, but then remembered the reveal power. Oh BSG, why won't you let people easily love you?


The reveal power, and the Basestar Bridge ability that lets you draw two damage tokens and pick one. At least in both cases the person doing so is a revealed Cylon, so there isn't as much of a question about motivations.
A CL/Symp-Cylon can use BB, so he'd want to conceal what the other damage token was.


Though I'd regard activating the Basestar Bridge as fairly damning evidence against the CL in the first place (okay, there are scenarios where adding ships to the CFB can help game the pursuit track, but then you're unlikely to be dealing damage to Galactica in those scenarios...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
GregF wrote:
nbergom wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a potential solution for the trauma tokens, but I completely forgot about civvies. shake I was about to ask why the damage tokens would need that secrecy, but then remembered the reveal power. Oh BSG, why won't you let people easily love you?


The reveal power, and the Basestar Bridge ability that lets you draw two damage tokens and pick one. At least in both cases the person doing so is a revealed Cylon, so there isn't as much of a question about motivations.
A CL/Symp-Cylon can use BB, so he'd want to conceal what the other damage token was.


Though I'd regard activating the Basestar Bridge as fairly damning evidence against the CL in the first place (okay, there are scenarios where adding ships to the CFB can help game the pursuit track, but then you're unlikely to be dealing damage to Galactica in those scenarios...
Put a civvy so that the 6 to 13 raiders chase it instead of shooting at Gally, which has also taken damage.

You may need to stall the jump track so you can fulfill certain Motives that require time, like the Food or the Morale ones.

Some specific Motives could make use of BB too...
"FTL Control" or "Admiral's Quarters" is damaged.
hit up the roll for damage option

the fleet marker is on a blue space of the Jump Preparation track and there are no raiders, heavy raiders, or basestars on the board.
Hope for -1 on the Jump Prep track

Food is 4 or less
roll for damage and hope for the Gally Food damage token

Population is 6 or less
put out raiders or civvies to destroy them
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.