Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been talk about this, whether or not ANR needs a ban list or not and the like.

In Yugioh, the forbidden list has 3 possiblities:
•semi-limited, meaning you can have up to 2 copies of that card in your deck
•limited, meaning you can have 1 copy of that card in your deck
•forbidden, meaning you can have 0 copies of that card in your deck.)

If ANR were to adopt a ban list, would you want it to be similar to yugioh (where some cards can still be used, just at fewer numbers), or would you want it simply to be banned or not banned for some cards?

And the most important question: What would you want banned if there was a ban list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was, I think you can be assured that it will work exactly the same way that it works in every other LCG Fantasy Flight makes.

There are banned cards, which you cannot use at all.

And there are Restricted cards. You can only pick one Restricted card to put in your deck, although you can still have 3x copies of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I see someone refer to Yu-gi-oh for a concept from Magic, a little piece of me dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I believe a ban list would take away something from the game. I honestly believe there is no cardn in the game that requires a ban. (Yes, even Account Siphon). There aren't any broken combos or OP cards, just some cards that work better than others. I haven't played any other LCG's, so I don't know how it works in them, but not having every option in A:NR would semi-ruin the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Barnett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would much prefer set rotation to a ban list tbh for two reasons:

1) The furore of people defending a card that got banned could end up makingsome forums unreadable, you only have to look at any starcraft thread to appreciate that

2) As the barrier to "competitive" netrunner gets higher, we may see people who only buy the packs necessary to make a certain deck, this might end up wiping all that out. Rotation would at least put people on an even footing.

It is not inconceivable that a card might end up being printed and then banned. However, we seem to get our "release valves" (counter cards) before we get the killer card in quite a few circumstances, so I think it will be awhile before we see a ban list. Feel free though to throw these words straight back at me in 6 month's time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
onibaku06 wrote:
Personally, I believe a ban list would take away something from the game. I honestly believe there is no cardn in the game that requires a ban. (Yes, even Account Siphon). There aren't any broken combos or OP cards, just some cards that work better than others. I haven't played any other LCG's, so I don't know how it works in them, but not having every option in A:NR would semi-ruin the game for me.

Nothing is that broken yet. Yet. I am sure a card will slip by(or a combo will slip by) it always happens. Especially once a card pool gets very large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Every time I see someone refer to Yu-gi-oh for a concept from Magic, a little piece of me dies.

Every time I see someone hold Magic to a higher standard than any other CCG, a little piece of me dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

I hadn't heard of MTG having semi-limited cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
This again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Asmor wrote:

I hadn't heard of MTG having semi-limited cards.

Vintage restrcited list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward K.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Asmor wrote:

Every time I see someone hold Magic to a higher standard than any other CCG, a little piece of me dies.

He never said Yu-gi-oh came up with the concept, he is just referencing what he knows. People get up in arms over when the new hotness MMO is compared to WoW (commonly played and a first and only MMO to a lot of people, so it's their only reference).

If the restricting/banning of cards is the same in AGoT and CoC (Call of Cthulhu) I would imagine it would be the same here, if it gets to that point.

The card pool is small still, but I do think FFG has gotten wiser as to not print cards that are too crazy. But no doubt people will find a way to abuse some cards that it appears to be broken but thankfully we usually can find a way around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmylegs wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
Asmor wrote:

He never said Yu-gi-oh came up with the concept, he is just referencing what he knows. People get up in arms over when the new hotness MMO is compared to WoW (commonly played and a first and only MMO to a lot of people, so it's their only reference).

If the restricting/banning of cards is the same in AGoT and CoC (Call of Cthulhu) I would imagine it would be the same here, if it gets to that point.

The card pool is small still, but I do think FFG has gotten wiser as to not print cards that are too crazy. But no doubt people will find a way to abuse some cards that it appears to be broken but thankfully we usually can find a way around it.

This tends to be the beauty with netrunner. This game, more so than any other CCG/TCG/LCG I've played (over 20), relies more on choices than deck content. Now, of course, if you build a really bad deck with no synergy, it will probably lose against a deck with cards that work together, but even that's not guaranteed (unless you were to build a deck with no icebreakers, for example).

There are some great, strong cards. But the nature of the game is so tactical, that it usually comes down to the decisions over the composition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Semi-limited: all the 2-of cards in the core set
Limited: all the 1-of cards in the core set

Best banlist here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Asmor wrote:

I get feelings like this all the time, but I realized that it's not a part of me that dies, it's the painful realization that I'm now old enough to have a significantly different frame of reference from other anonymous users on the net, that makes it feel like part of me is dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Ashton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Rotation is incredibly toxic to an evolving game design.

Games need basic cards, and rotation means that every two sets minimum you have to see them again in some form or another.

Note the million cards in MtG costing 1G and providing you a 2/2 body with no added text.

Not to mention it splits the base for the game, and drastically reduces deck building options.

If FFG added rotation, how many decks in Spin-Lunar would be forced to play Currents, simply because the format arbitrarily increased their distribution in the card pool and metagame?

Buying everything in this game still costs less than some Standard decks, and a full set of everything in Game of Thrones [been around far longer] is cheaper than playing MtG competitively for 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

Best banlist here.

All the core consoles are limited to 1 per deck... that is just awful.

Currently the release rate is low enough that testing can be far more comprehensive than CCG's like MTG. If a degenerate card eventually does emerge it would be best to just ban it until an effective counter can be made or forever if that is not a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jetfire wrote:
salty53 wrote:

Best banlist here.

Currently the release rate is low enough that testing can be far more comprehensive than CCG's like MTG. If a degenerate card eventually does emerge it would be best to just ban it until an effective counter can be made or forever if that is not a viable option.

Isn't it one in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of now I cannot foresee a banned list unless they make a mistake and bad pub becomes easy to give the corp. However I am sure they already know the problem with that because of blackmail so I doubt it will ever get easier than it is now. However a restricted list will happen and there are already several candidates for it however the card pool is too small right now to effecting restrict things so it will take time.

Things I imagine that will go right on the restricted list are Account Siphon, Datasucker, maybe Blackmail, Astroscript, maybe SanSan. Of course more would need to go on for the list to have any meaning but those I imagine would start the list off.

Way down the line I would think the most efficient cards would hit the list to make room for others like Corroder and Desperado. However for those to hit the list many other options for barrier breakers in and out of faction would need to be released and same for desperado and consoles. For those of you who play Game of Thrones it would be like how they restricted the Fury's and Refugees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Jetfire wrote:
salty53 wrote:

Best banlist here.

Isn't it one in play?

Currently you can have only 1 in play, but 3 in the deck which raises the odds you will draw one to play during the match. The idea of the restricted or banned list is to limit the amount you can have in the deck, such as for example limiting Account Siphon to 1 per deck.

Limiting the original consoles to 1 per deck is not warranted. Honestly there are not any card that should be limited to 1 that are not already explicitly by the card text. The influence limit handles the power splash distribution nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
strayjohno wrote:
Asmor wrote:
Every time I see someone refer to Yu-gi-oh for a concept from Magica banned/restricted list, a little piece of me dies.

I'm bold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all Identities should be limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Volarevic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
But... but... I want to play all three copies of Chaos Theory that I have for a total of 7 memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JureV wrote:
Kaffis wrote:
But... but... I want to play all three copies of Chaos Theory that I have for a total of 7 memory.

Game of Thrones has been rolling along and has 6 Deluxe boxes and 10 complete pack cycles under its belt without rotation. They've said that the Restricted list is a concept for all their LCGs to both break up abusable combos and, only recently I might add, function as a soft rotation.

It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Frankly I haven't seen what one other poster has mentioned, lots of discussion over whether this or that card deserves its Restriction, because you still can put them in your deck; you just have to make choices about how you build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Calibeast wrote:
Note the million cards in MtG costing 1G and providing you a 2/2 body with no added text.

Your comment made me curious how many of these there were, so I looked it up. There have been 3 such cards in the last 15 years. Apparently they usually just reprint the same one with new art every year or two so it never rotates out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.