Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get ready for Act 2 of the 1st Story, and I'm unsure of exactly how Yardu works.

Basics:
- TN of 8, but Hero must roll two 8s for the attack to be successful.
- 9 Vitality
- 5 Movement
- 4 Threat Range
- Priority = Proximity > Most Damaged > Faith

Attack:
- Attack is 4 D10s with Damage per Success (Potential 4 damage per roll)
- Attacks one Hero once (if we're ignoring FD results)
- Range 1
- TN of 4
- Devastate is just a fancy name for the above attack

After Initial Attack:
- Roll 4 FD
- 1st, check success for Necrotic Aura -> Raise 1 Soulless if both symbols rolled (skip if player doesn't have Soulless available). Placement location of Soulless is left up to Heroes.
- 2nd, check success for Sinner's Sorrow -> If at least one Rage symbol is rolled, Yardu attacks a new Hero with his normal attack (Devastate) allowing 3MP per attack. After his new attack, he re-rolls 4FD and checks for Sinner's Sorrow again. He does NOT check for Necrotic Aura during any of his re-rolls. He continues this cycle until he either doesn't roll a Rage symbol or until he's attacked every Hero this Darkness Cycle.

Faith of the Fallen:
- If any Undead are killed while Yardu is present on the tile, then 1 FD is rolled.
- If a 'Darkness Symbol' or a 'Faith Symbol' is rolled, then the killed Undead is resurrected at full health (Minions only).

Comments, corrections, clarifications, and questions welcome!

Here are relevant comments from MERCSKenny on the Megacon forums:
Quote:
Bosses roll their Fate Dice after they perform all their attacks. DBC answered this earlier. I will specifically address the Yardu question.

*How does Yardu resolve his Special attacks?
- When Yardu attacks he rolls 4 FD. All Boss-type enemies always attempt to perform their Special attacks from the bottom of their card and continue up. Multiple different Special abilities can be performed per attack if after using the Fate Die to succeed at one ability the remaining Fate Die match the results of the unused ability.

Side note: Yardu's FD number should be on the same line as the word Special like the T1KL, instead of on each special ability.

Emphasis added.
Quote:
Any successes Yardu rolled in his 1 attack (even though its damage per success its still one attack) could be redirected with some cards or parried or dodged etc. It is one attack its just more powerful than most.

Edit: Updated after new FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I believe you roll Yardu's Fate dice whenever he successfully hits, and then try to match Necrotic Aura (if you have a Soulless to place) then Sinner's Sorrow (maximum of 1 of each recipe). If you match Sinner's Sorrow, Yardu tries to reach the next closest hero and repeats his Attack, including a Fate die roll if successful (that could result in another Sinner's Sorrow, and so on). Each player could be attacked a maximum of once per cycle.

2. I believe Faith of the Fallen is an upgraded version of the Souless' ability that resurrects Undead on a Fate roll of Darkness only. It means that if you have Undead on the tile, then while Yardu is present you roll a Fate die when each Undead is killed and if either of those symbols comes up, the figure isn't killed (which can mess you up for treasure drops!). I've played with Soulless and Shamblers, and this is how they worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think after he moves and attacks as normal, you roll 4FD for Necrotic Aura irregardless of if he hit or not. Then roll 4FD for Sinner's Sorrow. I'd also play that he gets to attack everyone, even the person he normally attacked with his base attack. But I usually error on the side on making the game tougher when in doubt.

I believe Faith of the Fallen will buff other undead around him by making
THEM passively resurrect more often.

I expect to be proven completely wrong on both accounts though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
1. I believe you roll Yardu's Fate dice whenever he successfully hits, and then try to match Necrotic Aura (if you have a Soulless to place) then Sinner's Sorrow (maximum of 1 of each recipe). If you match Sinner's Sorrow, Yardu tries to reach the next closest hero and repeats his Attack, including a Fate die roll if successful (that could result in another Sinner's Sorrow, and so on). Each player could be attacked a maximum of once per cycle.

2. I believe Faith of the Fallen is an upgraded version of the Souless' ability that resurrects Undead on a Fate roll of Darkness only. It means that if you have Undead on the tile, then while Yardu is present you roll a Fate die when each Undead is killed and if either of those symbols comes up, the figure isn't killed (which can mess you up for treasure drops!). I've played with Soulless and Shamblers, and this is how they worked.

Those both sound pretty legit. I'll wait for a few more comments before changing the OP, but I can see how both of those interpretations are likely correct.

For #2, I assume that the Undead is resurrected at full health still? Even if only a single damage was done with the current attack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are relevant comments from MERCSKenny on the Megacon forums:
Quote:
Bosses roll their Fate Dice after they perform all their attacks. DBC answered this earlier. I will specifically address the Yardu question.

*How does Yardu resolve his Special attacks?
- When Yardu attacks he rolls 4 FD. All Boss-type enemies always attempt to perform their Special attacks from the bottom of their card and continue up. Multiple different Special abilities can be performed per attack if after using the Fate Die to succeed at one ability the remaining Fate Die match the results of the unused ability.

Side note: Yardu's FD number should be on the same line as the word Special like the T1KL, instead of on each special ability.

Quote:
Any successes Yardu rolled in his 1 attack (even though its damage per success its still one attack) could be redirected with some cards or parried or dodged etc. It is one attack its just more powerful than most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:

Thinking about this some more, if he does re-roll for every attack initiated by Sinner's Sorrow, does he check if Necrotic Aura is activated every time as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
If you look at the Terror of 1000 legs boss card - the 5FD is beside the Special indicating that those 5 FD are used to match all of the abilities below.

On Yardu's card: each ability has 4 FD beside it which tells me you roll 4 FD for Necrotic Aura, then another 4 FD for Sinner's Sorrow.

So Yardu will move and attack with Devastate - rolling 4 FD for Necrotic Aura, and then 4 FD for Sinner's Sorrow.

If he gets a Rage symbol with Sinner's Sorrow, he will pick a new target and attack with Devastate - rolling another 4 FD for Necrotic Aura, and another 4 for Sinner's Sorrow.

This will chain until he misses on Sinner's Sorrow or hits every player with Devastate.

Scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
If you look at the Terror of 1000 legs boss card - the 5FD is beside the Special indicating that those 5 FD are used to match all of the abilities below.

On Yardu's card: each ability has 4 FD beside it which tells me you roll 4 FD for Necrotic Aura, then another 4 FD for Sinner's Sorrow.

So Yardu will move and attack with Devastate - rolling 4 FD for Necrotic Aura, and then 4 FD for Sinner's Sorrow.

If he gets a Rage symbol with Sinner's Sorrow, he will pick a new target and attack with Devastate - rolling another 4 FD for Necrotic Aura, and another 4 for Sinner's Sorrow.

This will chain until he misses on Sinner's Sorrow or hits every player with Devastate.

Scary.

If you look at Kenny's clarification, however, you'll see that there is a typo on the card. The "4FD" should actually be next to the word "Special."

So, it's definitely a single roll, then ck for Necrotic Aura, then ck for Sinner's Sorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for whether you re-roll FD for every Sinner's Sorrow attack or just add up the 'Rage' from the initial roll, I still think it's up in the air. I posted it on MCG's website, and I received an unofficial answer that it is a single roll. I'm holding out for an official answer though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Ah.
Makes it tougher to get both at once but still very scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:
As for whether you re-roll FD for every Sinner's Sorrow attack or just add up the 'Rage' from the initial roll, I still think it's up in the air. I posted it on MCG's website, and I received an unofficial answer that it is a single roll. I'm holding out for an official answer though...

An official answer would be nice. It would clear up wand chaining too.

But I am pretty sure that you roll FD every time you attack because on Pg. 20, FD and D10 are lumped together in the "form dice pool step". It does set up itself for brokenness and ridiculousness but i haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

An official answer would be nice. It would clear up wand chaining too.

But I am pretty sure that you roll FD every time you attack because on Pg. 20, FD and D10 are lumped together in the "form dice pool step". It does set up itself for brokenness and ridiculousness but i haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

FD work differently for Monsters than they do for Heroes. For Minions and Captains, for example, it is specifically stated that FD are only rolled for successful attacks on page 40 of the rulebook.

Also, note the first line from Kenny's answer: "Bosses roll their Fate Dice after they perform all their attacks." This means that rolling the FD for the bottom recipes isn't necessarily part of the attack. Obviously, this is muddied by the fact that Yardu's particular recipe initiates a new attack.

I think there is still plenty of room for both interpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received official confirmation from Kenny that Yardu's FD are only rolled once. You check for Necrotic Aura, and then check for Sinner's Sorrow. For Sinner's Sorrow, Yardu attacks a new Hero for each Rage die that was rolled up until all Heroes have been attacked this Darkness Cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
I've received official confirmation from Kenny that Yardu's FD are only rolled once. You check for Necrotic Aura, and then check for Sinner's Sorrow. For Sinner's Sorrow, Yardu attacks a new Hero for each Rage die that was rolled up until all Heroes have been attacked this Darkness Cycle.

And this was just trumped by Brian!:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15428683#15428683
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
I wonder what I will think one day soon , having witnessed this games evolution from primordial nothingness to a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated after new FAQ.

I also clarified the FAQ here:
http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/357/a-few-que...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Why did they use AND for Faith of the Fallen? OR makes so much more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:

The best answer I've seen to this question is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12012110#12012110
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

The best answer I've seen to this question is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12012110#12012110

Yeah, there's just this implication that I should be rolling at least two dice if I need both of these results with the word 'AND' I get how he meant it: "you trigger this effect on a darkness symbol AND you trigger this effect on a candle symbol", but I don't know how he thought this was more clear than the word 'OR'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.