8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Duel Center, a Swordfighting Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davey Randle

Indiana
msg tools
I like fantasy roleplay, and I think it would be cool to make a free swordfighting tabletop game ruleset and printable board where you make your character and battle them against others. What do you think about the following ruleset:

Board consists of two sides with four buttons, which are Vertical Swipe, Horizontal Swipe, Stab, and Kick. They each have different strengths depending on the race and weapon you choose. I'm not sure about which item/character has what specific value yet, though. When a player attacks during their turn, they place their figure on the button for the attack they want to do.

Each player has 100 HP (this can be adjusted to whatever the players agree on). Different attacks take away different amounts of HP, obviously.

It's not only about attacking the other character, but defending the characters' attacks, predicting what card the other player will play to defend the attack that you did to them.

There will be several different cards, depending on the race and weapons you choose from, as well as different attack guides per weapon, telling you how much HP each attack with that weapon will take away from your opponent.

Types of Defense Cards:

Block: Will look like the board itself, with the four buttons. Each button that is checkmarked will be blocked (won't take away any HP) when you play this card. Some block less attacks than others.

Reversal: Has the same buttons and checkmarks like the Block cards, but instead of just blocking the attacks, these will take away as many HP from the attacking player as it was supposed to take away from you, but you don't lose any HP.

HP Gain: These will have a + sign and a number. Use these to increase however many HP it says.

Combo: These will have a C and a number which is how many times you can have a consecutive turn. Unlike the other cards, this is an offense card, and can be played before or while you're attacking. For example, a card with C2 means you get two consecutive turns after the one you just had, making a 3-hit combo. But each time, your opponent can use his defense cards.

Races:

Lizardman: Reptilian Lizard people. Just like in a lot of fantasy. Overall balanced.

Arvian: Bird people, but they look more realistic and serious than a lot of bird characters. Quick combos, below average reversals, and average strength.

Minotaur: Bull people. Very strong. Strongest in the game, but quite low on everything else. Need a good weapon to be real effective.

Drekkone: Dragon humans. Quite strategic and defensive.

Gy'Trrian: Alligator/Crocodile people. Second strongest race. Slightly weaker and more balanced than the Minotaurs.

Miniatures/Figures: You can use any miniature/figures you want. I personally make mine out of clay, and stick them on a stand I made using epoxy putty and wire. You can use paper (which I'll make sometime when I get some more ink), traditional metal or plastic, or just poker chips and stuff.

So does anyone like this? I want it to be free for now when I make it, but I might sell it further down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a free tabletop miniature skirmish system where you can use any miniature you want, create your hero and unleash him unto others, you might like my creation:

Whack & Slaughter

You can get the most current rulebook along with a battlemap here:
http://www.catzeyes.de/blog/?page_id=110

Aside from that and regarding your idea:
You are suggesting: "You can use any miniature/figures you want."

However you are presenting races that are not or next to not existent in the miniature market.
I do not know, where I could get an avian miniature or a Gy'Trrian from.

Also: 100HP means a LOT of bookkeeping. Keep those Hitpoints lower, such as 10 or 20 at best.

The mechanics of attacking and blocking look like they could benefit from the Damage Deck which has been used in Duel at Dawn: You attack hit zones with a certain number of cards and the opponent defends hit zones with a certain number of cards. Each card undefended results in a hit.

Just some thoughts

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Randle

Indiana
msg tools
schattentanz wrote:
If you want a free tabletop miniature skirmish system where you can use any miniature you want, create your hero and unleash him unto others, you might like my creation:

Whack & Slaughter

You can get the most current rulebook along with a battlemap here:
http://www.catzeyes.de/blog/?page_id=110

Aside from that and regarding your idea:
You are suggesting: "You can use any miniature/figures you want."

However you are presenting races that are not or next to not existent in the miniature market.
I do not know, where I could get an avian miniature or a Gy'Trrian from.

Also: 100HP means a LOT of bookkeeping. Keep those Hitpoints lower, such as 10 or 20 at best.

The mechanics of attacking and blocking look like they could benefit from the Damage Deck which has been used in Duel at Dawn: You attack hit zones with a certain number of cards and the opponent defends hit zones with a certain number of cards. Each card undefended results in a hit.

Just some thoughts

Kind regards,
Kai

Thanks! I'm glad someone replied! Also, I'll release paper card stock printable figure bases when I get some ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're talking about a swordfighting "minigame" to be played as part of a larger roleplaying campaign, I might use
(PnP) Strike, Feint, Riposte! v1.0 (5-way RPS with a twist)

However, it sounds like you want that minigame to be longer than 5-10 minutes ... 100 hp and lots of combos is really a game all to itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Randle

Indiana
msg tools
Thanks, yeah, I want this to be the main game. Kinda like Namco's Soul series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Randle

Indiana
msg tools
Here's some prototype figures and equipment sets. I'll add shading and details when I get further along the process. Sorry if they look kinda weird. I just like doing them this way.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Slimyscaly/BlueArv...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look like chicken wings in spe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Randle

Indiana
msg tools
lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.