Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on backing but I haven't yet, and that mostly has to do with the fact that I'm more interested in Mercs TT (which I have enjoyed many times but not yet bought into, mostly waiting on v2 rules) than in Recon itself. It leaves me in an interesting spot for a number of reasons:

1. I want a number of factions, and sefadu is one of my must haves.
2. I know that I want the faction cards for Mercs TT.
3. My gaming time is limited enough as it is; Mercs Conflict holds no appeal to me whatsoever.
4. Mercs Recon appeals to me, but only to a point. I'm sure I'll play it and enjoy it, but the majority of what is coming, especially with stretch goals, is going to be wasted on me.

Keeping this in mind, I can:

1. Pledge Opfor, add sefadu. $225, but plenty of stuff I don't want.
2. Pledge @120, add rule book and sefadu. $195, but no cards and plenty of stuff I don't want. Only save $30, but only miss out on the cards as far as things I want.

Both of these seem suboptimal to me. It feels like there is room for a TT focused tier that includes base Recon and the TT relevant stuff for less than either of these options. Give me cards and a rule book, and the Mercs miniature stretch goals, and keep the rest of the stretch goals for Recon-focused players.

Or at least make the faction cards an available add on purchase?

I have a feeling I'll have to pledge Opfor and then have to try to sell Conflict and a bunch of Recon stuff.

Anyone else trying to figure out what to do in this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KG79
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you don't need to pledge to this Kickstarter right? If all you want is MERCS TT then just wait until this fall when the 2.0 stuff comes out and buy into the TT stuff. This Kickstarter is for the Recon game. They've thrown some TT and Conflict stuff in there to spread interest across all of the MERCS games but this is first and foremost for Recon. It sounds like you're most interested in the TT stuff and I'm thinking you can probably buy in this fall for less than $225. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fair point, actually. I wish they'd reveal more about the 2.0 retail plans. If I knew that plastic starters were coming, it would possibly be a better option. Still, 4 7-mini factions (all of which I'm interested in, incidentally) for $120 is pretty reasonable, and I do like the look of Recon, just not to the extent of it taking up a third of the games closet.

But I guess I shouldn't whine about the amazing deal giving me too much stuff and not quite being amazing enough for my specific aims...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I do have some interest in Recon and TT both, and would be looking at Kemvar and Keizai Waza anyway, so that all works out. But if I'm just getting Assassination Protocol, I might as well wait for retail.

I could possibly justify the Agent level ($120) for the extra OpFor and building options, although I'm still on the fence. That would cover me for Recon. But like you, I don't see a good way to get the TT stuff I'm interested in with the current setup. Faction cards as an add-on would help, although I suspect they would be priced high enough to make an OpFor pledge look attractive anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since all the stats will be in the new v2 rulebook, why do you need all the faction cards anyway?

I would think getting a single movement template would be a better (and cheaper) investment for folks wanting to get into the table top game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Faction cards as an add-on would help, although I suspect they would be priced high enough to make an OpFor pledge look attractive anyway.

$8 per faction going by their website's prices for faction card packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah,.... though they could easily raise that price a bit due to the 2.0 decks coming with all ten members (not just the 6 in the current starter sets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that 200 pledge is pretty awesome if you are into the TT game,.... especially since they confirmed that the 2.0 rulebook and decks would ship out in August or September at the same time that they are due togo to retail!

but as stated,... don't buy it just to get that stuff. If you like Recon and the TT games,.... I think it is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Since all the stats will be in the new v2 rulebook, why do you need all the faction cards anyway?

Did Brian actually say somewhere that model stats would be in the rulebook?

Model stats weren't in the 1st Edition book specifically so that you'd have to buy the cards. Since selling the cards is a core part of MERCS marketing plan (profits) I doubt they'd change things in the 2E book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
jakecarol wrote:

Did Brian actually say somewhere that model stats would be in the rulebook?

Model stats weren't in the 1st Edition book specifically so that you'd have to buy the cards. Since selling the cards is a core part of MERCS marketing plan (profits) I doubt they'd change things in the 2E book.

Yes, someone from Mercs did say the stats would be in the 400+ page v2 rulebook.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/mercs-recon/...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/mercs-recon/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And at $8 per pack, even covering the 5 factions I know I'd be getting would come to $40, making Opfor an obvious choice.

I guess I need to suck it up and hope that I can turn someone's retail Recon into a partial KS Recon, and make back some money in the process.

I actually have a fair amount of faith that KS backers will be able to fill out their Recon units to the full 10 in some sort of specialized way that is more than fair. Getting the last 3 for CCC, EU, Waza, and KemVar, and, in my case, the last five for sefadu, in plastic, at a reasonable cost. Maybe the sale of Conflict, the novel, and a bunch of Recon goodies will more than cover the cost of giving me complete Mercs teams.

Playing without cards is a nice idea, but I've played with cards. They're nice to have, even if you use a movement template for gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine that what is not unlocked as SG's throughout the campaign would be added in as some sort of add-on pack,.... maybe even a la carte in the PM afterward?

fingers crossed,.... I'd really like to get the full teams in plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.