Hide
14 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Setting Up 1st game - Already stuck! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waste MaLife
msg tools
Hi there.. we are literally as I type this sitting down to play our first GD game.. but in the Mission 1 set up, I am already confused...

I have 4 "burn" tokens to use with the mission special action to destroy the teleport points.. but I can not see any "teleport points" on the map?

Are they talking about the starting locations of the Aliens? If so, there is only 2 of them.. where are the other 2?

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually struggled with this one myself!

There are four tokens that have images matching some of the die faces. A shield, skull, "hit" icon, and a lightning bolt. I think almost all of the missions use all four of these tokens. There are just the four, one of each. They match the locations on the maps for the various scenarios in the story book.

Those things you need to set on fire... They will also be teleporting the aliens in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waste MaLife
msg tools
Thanks man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Waste said, the TP points correspond to the dice; you will roll to see where a "blip" TPs in from.

When you destroy a TP pad in mission one, replace it with a fire token (no LOS through those, and damage if you move through them also).

Oh, and don't make a common mistake: Draw 1 Event card after ALL agents have gone, not after each agent goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WasteMaLife wrote:
I have 4 "burn" tokens to use with the mission special action to destroy the teleport points.. but I can not see any "teleport points" on the map?

Heh. That one took me a while, too. The TP are explained pretty far in the back of the book.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Ozo

San Francisco
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:

When you destroy a TP pad in mission one, replace it with a fire token (no LOS through those, and damage if you move through them also).

Could you tell me where I could find that the flame markers indicate no LOS? I've read in other threads that you can still have LOS and the borders on the flame marker are just for flavor. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gifford
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mrozo227 wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

Could you tell me where I could find that the flame markers indicate no LOS? I've read in other threads that you can still have LOS and the borders on the flame marker are just for flavor. Thanks.

It was a thread response by Agent S.

"Hi agent,

1) No, Teleport Points do NOT block L.O.S., as any other tokens...
The yellow/black patter on the tokens is just "flavour" graphic and is not the same of the Blocking Hex Side of any map or map overlay.
I'm sorry for this issue, it's strange cause this misunderstanding was never happen during the Alpha and Beta phase to our beta-testers, now i'm starting to feel that is better to change the token frame pattern in order to avoid it."

Here's another thread where he states the same thing...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1129998/signals-teleport...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sielle wrote:
mrozo227 wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

It was a thread response by Agent S.

"Hi agent,

1) No, Teleport Points do NOT block L.O.S., as any other tokens...
The yellow/black patter on the tokens is just "flavour" graphic and is not the same of the Blocking Hex Side of any map or map overlay.
I'm sorry for this issue, it's strange cause this misunderstanding was never happen during the Alpha and Beta phase to our beta-testers, now i'm starting to feel that is better to change the token frame pattern in order to avoid it."

Here's another thread where he states the same thing...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1129998/signals-teleport...

Neither of those examples explicitly say that flame tokens block LOS as is being suggested by some here. I was going to wait till I played again later today to check the tokens out myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sorry guys. It says in the rules those dashed lines block LOS; then the Dev comes on and says "Oh, those are just for flavor".

I really think they could have found any other "flavor" than the same graphic they use for "Blocks Line of Sight".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Ozo

San Francisco
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the selection for border design on the small tokens can create a lot of confusion (I was playing incorrectly for my first couple of games). Oh well, now we know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi agents,

The flame as any other token do NOT blocks LOS,

Only the maps and map overlays have Blocking Hex sides.

We will change the "flavor" yellow-black graphic from the tokens in the future, it's a promise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Very sorry guys. It says in the rules those dashed lines block LOS; then the Dev comes on and says "Oh, those are just for flavor".

I really think they could have found any other "flavor" than the same graphic they use for "Blocks Line of Sight".

There is no contradiction. Honestly, and I am being very blunt here, I know, and apologize for sounding like 'that guy' in advance, the stripes on the teleport token run across the token (and at angle iirc), not as a border around the token. If you look at blocking terrain and the teleport tokens, the way the borders are drawn is completely different. So, if the playtesters didn't have a problem differentiating it, it must not have been all that confusing. The designs are similar, but they are definitely not the same.

Again, let me apologize for sounding like a d-bag. But its early here, and last night's GD session ran a little longer than we thought it would so I'm as close to being a zombie at work as I will ever be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
So, if the playtesters didn't have a problem differentiating it, it must not have been all that confusing.

That argument doesn't make any sense.

If what you said is true, then every game ever released, assuming it has gone through playtesting, should have no confusion arising from rules or components. Clearly, that isn't the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To "That Guy". The OP had the problem; I had the problem; every player I/we have played the game with had the problem.

And the playtesters simply say "Excuse me Dev and/or Rules-Helper, does this block LOS? No? Ok, thanks".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.