Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Fahy

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know next to nothing about photography... can anyone point me in the direction of a good camera for miniatures? Some of the pieces I have are pretty detailed, would I need a separate macro lens on top of the camera itself? Is the $200 to $500 range enough for my needs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
It really depends on how far you want to go.

Do you have a camera right now? Do you have a tripod?

Have you read up on macro photography?
http://photo.net/learn/macro/

Have you though about lighting?
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-pho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say good lighting, stability (tripod) and perhaps somekind of whitebox will be the most helpfull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't necessarily need a macro lens. You might first try a good quality 2 element close up lens that screw on to your main lens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A cheap 'point and shoot' camera will produce fine images of minis as long as the lighting is good and it's steady. Almost all of them have a 'macro mode' built in, usually marked with a tulip/flower shaped icon. It'll allow it to close focus.

But, personally I'd skip the close focus and move back a bit and zoom in to avoid the distortions that short working distances and short focal lengths introduce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Rols
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Nikon Coolpix P520 a good camera for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
I use two cameras. My main one is a Sony Alpha DSLR. I also love my Canon Powershot SX510 HS. The Powershot has a macro mode, great zoom, and wifi so I can take my shots and upload to my Flickr account or do a quick edit by sending the image to my Samsung Galaxy to use Pixlr or Zoner apps then sending the image to Flickr. The wifi also allows me to send it to my laptop where I can do more in depth editing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candela Estrada
msg tools
That budget can work if you go into the used category. The Lumix GH2 I have worked pretty good for me on that budget. If going for low lighting, be very careful and check your reviews specifically on low lighting. Canon does some fine low lighting work as well as Sony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into a low-end DSLR, they have a bit of a learning curve, but they can take some GREAT shots once you learn their functions.

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A3017941%2Cp_36%3A1253506011&t...

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.