Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Wings of War: Famous Aces» Forums » General

Subject: Need a "Boot" for A Damage Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Maybe you guys have a solution for this somewhere. I play with 10 or 20 planes on the table at a time and I've just picked up four additional Wings of War damage decks to go with my prior two. Two decks wasn't cutting it, especially when we played ammunition rules. I now have a total of six.

Here's the thing -- how to you effectively manage a deck of 204 mini-cards? I looked at a Trivial Pursuit card box but the cards are too small to fit in it and work effectively. I haven't found any other thrift-store level games that have a box for cards this size.

The question -- does anyone know where I can pick up a box on the cheap that holds this size card? I'd like to have it work like Trivial Pursuit where you pull from the front and discard to the back. If there's a card boot sized for mini cards that would do, but I don't see one available on any of the usual sites. I may end up having to make my own solution.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
10 to 20 planes? I can't manage more than 3 at a time shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Getgen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Would the drawers from a hardware "parts" organizer work? The multi drawer units to keep nuts, bolts screws and misc small items like that. I really don't know the size of the cards - it was just a passing tought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
MayorJim wrote:
10 to 20 planes? I can't manage more than 3 at a time shake

It's ten to twenty players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
MayorJim wrote:
10 to 20 planes? I can't manage more than 3 at a time :shake:

It's ten to twenty players.

Where do you manage that? I don't think we've gotten past 14 at Savage Mill...

Have you considered cutting spacers to fill the sides of a standard boot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a learn-through-gaming group in Edgewater Maryland for Middle and High Schoolers. We have a guy from the Navy that does real wargames using historical games for educational uses. I'm and engineer guy (he's more history) so the WofG stuff is a double learn and the kids enjoy the game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
You know I've been thinking this through and I think I may build my own. I own a band saw and I have seven Wings of War square boxes sitting in a pile, five empty. I think I'm going to design something punch-and-slot with an open edge to draw from and a tilt to keep the cards from spilling out. I can cannibalize one of the boxes for materials. I got the idea looking at other containers made out of craft wood on the Internet that used the same idea.

I could even double up the cardboard, which would add strength and put art on both sides.

When you own a band saw things look different.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a similar thing, minus the band saw. I've made a bunch of half-height card deck boxes out of beer & shipping boxes. If it's a deck that gets drawn from & not replenished then the deck will eventually become too short to stand nicely in the box on its own. In that case I just put notches along the box edge and a sliding barrier that rests in the notches. Keep the barrier behind the deck and advance it as needed.

Also, if you buy those 12-pack soda "fridge packs" that are square on the long axis you can cut an end off at whatever height you desire and have a tacky-looking but functional dice tray.

Lastly, sometimes hardware stores have their small drawer organizers for pretty cheap and if you can get drawers that are the right size they work well if they're the really cheap kind that have smooth inner drawer walls instead of the vertical grooves for dividers that really just catch on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

A guy on another thread directed me to a parts bucket that fits this size card perfectly, in bright yellow. I'm not a guy that gets too concerned about presentation, but I think given the minis and all I want to put some level of effort into at least not having it stand out. My first thought was craft wood that you buy at Michael's and maybe a little stain, then I considered using the spare boxes.

Three weeks ago I was looking at buy Duel Packs to get decks, suddenly I have plenty (through a very good trade and a donation from a good friend) and all the boxes came with the materials. If anyone needs a card replaced I'm your guy.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I just found an insert for one of the boxes. It has wells for 4 decks and a well in the middle for the chits.

Not sure if it's something you could use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I've considered using one of them as a liner. If I cut two corners and assemble them I'll need to glue the other two joints. Dropping one of those plastic liners in would add support.

I also have a plunge router and am considering cutting the bottom out of a solid block of wood and just making the top from the box. Still working this through. I think my router only reached 1.2 inches deep though, and I believe the cards are 2 5/8, which means I won't even reach half.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.