Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Which expansion should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We are only just getting into Mage Wars; we played the apprentice game and one regular game and loved it and can't wait to play again. We are obsessed.

So I'm already planning to get an expansion. Which one do you think is best and why? I'm having trouble sorting through which one we will like the best. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't really matter; you'll get them all eventually anyway.

Personally I always try to get expansions in the order in which they were released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am completely unsure as to what the concensus will tell you here...but, imho, you have 3 clear choices.

1) The newest expansion- The Druid and Necromancer both play so differnetly from what's been offered thus far. The Druid, in particular, has such a nice feel... I think this would add the most variety in regards to Mages.

2) If you like the Beastmaster and/or the Priestess from the Core Set very much, the Kumanjaro expansion will add a lot to those specific schools. So, while offering less variety overall, it would benefit schools that you have a great head start in.

3) The 1st Spell Tome. It gives additional copies of core/always useful cards you already have. Doesn't add anything new...but, if deck building with the 4 Mages from the Core Set, it's a must.

You can't go wrong with any of them, however, as everything released so far, again...imo, has been stellar!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get them in order

You will have them all in no time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Forcemaster vs Warlord & the Druid vs Necromancer sets give you a lot more variety of cards and number of cards for your money, so I'd start there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForceMaster vs Warlord or Druid vs Necromancer depending which appeals most (unless you have very strong feelings for the BeastMaster and Priestess).

Personally it's FvW for me every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The value on the "big" expansions is pretty considerable, given they include two spellbooks. That was the decision maker for me, so I can have extra books prepared on hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the comment above about the warlord in the FMvW expansion being the weakest, but its also where a lot of synergy efforts are going in with the newest expansion being released soon. I'm in the 'I've now got 8 spellbooks, that's probably enough camp', but I did feel I got more cards and stuff in the bigger expansions. So kind of recommend those from a value for money perspective.

Overall though, I'd side on getting them all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
The main set gives you four of the schools of magic, Warlord v Forcemaster gives you the other two. However, the necromancer expansion gives you enough stuff that when added to the main set, enables you to make three completely different Dark Mages (1 with an emphasis on undead as in zombies and skeletons, one on fire and another on vampires/werewolves etc - although I would like to see more vampiric stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:

All told, I now have WAY too much stuff...

You filthy liar...you disgust me with your...lies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
Incidentally -- just checked, and I have 700 cards outside of books right now.

So you only have one starter set and no extra spell tome 1. That's only one Necropian vampire and not enough healing. You poor man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - I missed the full meaning of "Outside of Books". You have nearly 1,200 cards. With Forged in Fire and the Paladin expansion that comes to, let me see - "nearly enough cards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
...especially when the company is awesome)

The game is great, but has the added bonus of a company that engages its customers and sorts out problems with no fuss. So in answer to Quickles' original question, buy everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:

Moderately normal?

Does not apply.. I thought we were on BGG here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
msg tools
To echo what many have already said, you'll likely end up getting everything (like me).

That being said, I'd recommend starting with either DvN or FvW because they kinda give the most bang for your buck. I'd personally say DvN because both those mages are a blast to play and are quite different from the base set mages. The druid in particular has an interesting set of synergies.

As you might know by now, the warlord is considered weak in the current state of the game, but hopefully he'll be more viable with the upcoming release of FiF. Regardless, I'd still say FvW is worth the price of admission for the forcemaster alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you will probably end up with them all... Start with Plants vs Zomb... eer i mean druid vs necromancer. Both mages are amazing and you get the best bang for your buck as it has 2 strong mages, not just an amazing force master who can dominate fast and a warlord with a long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Snodgrass
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote has to go to Druid vs. Necro.

As the owner of all three expansions, this one is, by far, my favorite. As stated above, both mages play so differently than anything we've seen. Focemaster and Warlord are feel like they're just the result of natural growth of the game, giving us more of what we've already seen. These two are vastly different and are amazingly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.