Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello people,

I've got a little problem here: this game called Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game is flirting with me, but I still don't know how to respond to it.

I like the prepainted miniatures, that the rules are detailed but not too complex, the concept of doing scenario-based missions and that the game is free to expand upon.

On the other hand, what really gives me the creeps are the costs involved. From what I have heard, buying one single core game box is simply not enough, two is minimum if you don't want to get bored fast.

And I absolutely understand this: you want to have a certain collection of miniatures for both sides in order to have the freedom of options when selecting what ships you want to use for a mission (different missions require different ship setups).

One option to minimize costs would be to focus on one side (Alliance/Empire), but I don't want to be dependent on other people in order to play in my own place whenever I want to.

So, what I really need now is an objective non-hardcore fan estimation for the costs.

What expansions should I get (maybe even more than once) ? What expansions could I ignore ? How much would a good storage solution cost ? Or should I leave this game from the beginning if costs are an issue to me ?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 core sets @ $25-30
6 minis @ $12-15

$120-$150 minimum for a solid set that won't get old. That is, if you can resist the temptation to buy more minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I can give you a really good estimation of costs. There's the basic cost of entering the game and being able to build playable tournament lists, which is the goal for most players. If you just want to go casual, two cores should give you enough gameplay to bring it to the table once in a while. But it won't be something that will last through more than a play or two a weekend.

To be fair, cost and distribution are the key elements that lead to me deciding to exit the game. One thing to understand about the game is that it's packaged so that you get both ships AND upgrade cards in every booster. The key aspect to this distribution system is that some upgrade cards can only be found in certain boosters. The biggest barrier for me was the cloak/stealth upgrade, which was (at the time...subsequent releases may have also included it) only found in the Slave-1 booster. I was only interested in playing Rebellion lists, and I really wanted to run a multi-stealthed X-Wing list. In order to do this, I would either have to buy 2 Slave-1 boosters, or find someone who had bought them but was willing to sell/lend me the stealth cards. I had no interest in buying the boosters only or the cards and trying to sell off the other components.

As for what you should buy: New releases mean there are new threats and combos to respond to. You could plan a really effective list for the game as it is today, and in 3 months, the next wave will drop and could include a pilot or upgrade that completely negates your list. So again, for casual play, buy what you want, but if you plan to play competitively,expect to be evaluating your lists every few months and feeling pressure to change things up, likely buying new ships, as they come out. And because of the way upgrade cards are packaged, you may find that you're compelled to buy faction ships you don't want just to get the upgrade cards they come with.

X-Wing is largely touted as a game that's cheaper than other table-top minis games, but in reality, it's not. Start-up costs are less, but the nature of the game, with ever-expanding fleet lists, combined with the ability to customize your ships with upgrade cards, means that there will be a continual pressure to buy new product in order to stay current.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hqbwk wrote:
2 core sets @ $25-30
6 minis @ $12-15

$120-$150 minimum for a solid set that won't get old. That is, if you can resist the temptation dark side to buy more minis.

sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hqbwk wrote:
2 core sets @ $25-30
6 minis @ $12-15

$120-$150 minimum for a solid set that won't get old. That is, if you can resist the temptation to buy more minis.

This is how I would treat any LCG. Find a good stopping point that gives you what you want in terms of the basics(whatever that might be) and the replay you want for long term play. Only add as needed after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Unless you're buying for the sake of collecting, it's going to cost your group $200US. Doesn't all have to be you, and frankly I wouldn't buy if you don't have at least one other guy on board already. So I'd take the temperature of the people you'll play with to see if they're looking to spend a few deutschmarks as well.

I'm in for about $350US on Wings of Glory, but I have 24 models and a butt-ton of supporting material. You don't need all that by any stretch, WofG has the advantage of being smaller and easier to store.

Buying in the aftermarket and being patient pays off, as you can get a lot of this stuff under half price from people looking to get out of the game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 core set is an option if you just want to get your feet wet, and try it with a friend. It has everything you need for a quick introductory 2 player game.

The second core does come in handy; the extra dice, move templates and cards prevent you from having to share them all the time, and you get more fighter mini's for cheaper than you would with the mini expansions.

Wave 1:
The X-Wing Mini Expansion - Good to pick up for one of the best Rebel pilots: Wedge Antilles.

TIE Fighter ME - Good pilots in here to complement the cores.

Tie Advanced - I hear this maligned fairly often. I would suggest skipping unless you want Darth Vader.

Y-Wing - The Ion Turret is pretty popular, and does change gameplay up.

Wave 2:
Millennium Falcon - Considered cheesy by some players, It is a cool ship, (Note: more expensive than other ME's)

Slave 1 - Don't often hear about this one, but the biggest draw is Boba Fett, (Note: more expensive than other ME's)

A-Wing - Fast light fighter. Again, I don't hear a lot, but I'm not playing competitively either.

TIE Interceptor - Often said to be the best imperial fighter

Wave 3:
Lambda Shuttle - Support ship. Haven't heard a lot, (Note: more expensive than other ME's)

HWK-290 - First EU ship released and another support ship, Haven't heard a lot

B-Wing - Heavy Fighter, Haven't heard a lot

TIE Bomber - Popular for missile shenanigans

One thing worth mentioning; All ME's come with upgrade cards that can be used with any other fighter. It is not uncommon to buy everything just to have access to all the content, but it is by no means mandatory, nor does it have to be done all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 or 2 Core sets, and 1 of each expansion and you'd have a plenty good collection to play with friends. You can always proxy cards you only have one of in casual play, so don't worry about that. Comes to ~$200 online, or $220 if you get Imperial Aces as well. That gives you a huge range of squads you can field. It's not as cheap as a board game, but it's a fantastic deal for a miniatures wargame, and, at least for me, it's a game that I can play over and over again, never getting tired of it.

The other nice thing is that once you are bought in, you can pick up a ship here or there as they are released and slowly build your collection with no major hit to the wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pace yourself.

Start with a core set, play the quickstart game, then with full rules. If that goes well, get another core set and play a while. Then do some research on your favorite ships and buy something for the Empire and something balancing (about the same point cost) for Rebels.

I had eyed the core set a few times in the store, then saw it on sale (16.80eur on the Christmas sale), played once, and went back on Christmas Eve to buy another core set (the last one at the store). A little later I bought Y-Wing and TIE Advanced (for Vader), even later B-Wing and TIE Bomber, bypassing Wave 2 completely. I printed out some of the pilot cards so I did not need to buy the TIE Fighter and X-Wing expansions, then later got the pilot cards and some upgrades in a trade.

This totals about 94EUR, I was lucky with the core boxes.

If I would make a shopping list now, I would probably skip Y-Wing and TIE Bomber and go with 2x Core Sets + TIE Advanced + B-Wing, then play a lot, and go from there. Spending 15 or 30 EUR for a ship occasionally will spread the cost of expanding the game/collection.

Now I bought Imperial Aces and Millennium Falcon (again, some sort of balance, although perhaps the Lambda Shuttle or Slave-1 would be better balance in-game), and probably wait for Rebel Aces and Wave 4 ships until I buy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's a giant, heaping money pit. It's like a black hole, swallowing up money with a constant output of particles comprised of 50% awesome, 25% shame, and 25% regret.

After wave 2 I stopped buying it. I subsequently sold it. Attack Wing is a better game, and you don't need to buy 3 of everything to feel "complete".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers and detailed input so far, it's really helpful to make up my mind. Keep 'em coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Or should I leave this game from the beginning if costs are an issue to me ?

If you don't want to spend a crapton of money on this game then its not worth getting. I picked up 2 base sets when they were on clearance at Target, but even with two of them its barely enough to get an interesting game out of it. The core gameplay is fun, but its really designed to be an endless moneypit. That completely turned me off, and if you're not ready to throw hundreds of dollars into that hole you should probably just walk away too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely need two Core Sets and a number of expansions to have enough to play the game in a decent manner.

It's not really necessary to buy multiples of the expansions, and you can probably skip a few of them.

I would definitely get all of Wave I (X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Advanced) and at least the TIE Interceptor from Wave II, as well as the B-Wing, HWK-290 and TIE Bomber from Wave III.

That would give you 6 Rebel ships and 8 Imperial ships, enough to have a good amount of variance and variability. Anything else (like the Millennium Falcon and the Slave I), if you feel the need to have them (those two sure are very cool ships).

Buying the german game and expansions will save some money, as they are a good deal cheaper than the english version, usually (ordering the english ones from a foreign retailer with low shipping costs can work, too). The above-mentioned 2 Core Sets plus 8 Expansions would cost about 156 € (plus another 50 € to add the Millennium Falcon and the Slave I).

A nice playmat (3' x 3') is also a good idea (about € 30-40).

So, 150-250 € is what you need from my perspective.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Havn't played Attack Wing, so I cannot say if the game is better, but the ugly miniatures are quite a turn-off compared to X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.