Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks!

After some delay and a very busy week at work, I finally grabbed some minutes as to produce this AAR for the battle of Barnet.

As the previous posting for Tewkesbury, I could take no pics: my daughter and her BF got my memory card full by taking selfies so will try to make this AAR less verbose as possible.

The initial setup was as per the scenario, but with an important change: being my second B&R battle and to balance things a little, I decided to play without fog, since my idea was to evaluate the melee aspect of this scenario.

In other hand, the setup allows for either Gloucester or King Edward IV battles to replace the original DM units with MM; I did it for Edward IV battle only; Gloucester battle kept their DM.

The battle plan for the Yorkist was simple: with their MM at Edward IV battle overwhelm Lancastrian Montagu battle at the center, while Gloucester tried to overwhelm Exeter's battle at Yorkist right/Lancastrian left, the idea being if either Exeter or Montagu battles fled, then the Yorkist battle whom caused the flight will support the other one (from center to right or viceversa); in the meantime the Hastings battle at Yorkist left/Lancastrian right will assume mostly a defensive position and cope as best as they could with the MM charge from Lancastrian Oxford battle; once Exeter and Montagu battles were subdued, another outflanking maneuver against Oxford will follow, while keeping an eye at Lancastrian Warwick reserve.

For the Lancastrian, a similar plan but in reverse: Oxford will annihilate Hastings and then outflank Edward IV, while Montagu and Exeter followed mostly a defensive/offensive option: give the initiative to Edward or Gloucester, repulsing their attacks and then followed up, but keeping the FLOT (Front Line of Own Troops) integrity. And Warwick's reserve would be there if any wide outflank was needed.

The Lancastrian initiated the game by moving Exeter battle at their left/Yorkist right, this being a feint for the main attack at the other flank. But from this moment on,things started going wrong for them; the Yorkist seized the initiative and Gloucester LB and Artillery opened fire, eliminating 1 DM while retiring another DM and 1 Inf. According to their offensive/defensive posture the Exeter battle moved back to their lines, but the Yorkist caught them up and a vicious melee started right away. The Gloucester battle concentrated their efforts in the extreme Lancastrian left flank and it paid off: Exeter battle quickly fled, with Gloucester avoiding any pursuit; with their left wholly exposed, Lancastrians activated their reserve and Warwick MM charged against the Gloucester men, eliminating 1 DM and 1 Inf. The Yorkist advance was quickest than expected.

At the center, King Edward IV MM charged against the lines of Montagu men, but the damaged was little; furthermore the Montagu DM and Inf repulsed the Yorkist attack with LB support, but due to the sudden flight of Exeter battle could not advance. The Lancastrian reserve temporarily halted the Gloucester outflank maneuver, however the Yorkist battle had much more men than the reserve.

At the other flank and realizing the chaos in their left, the Oxford battle attacked the standing Hasting battle troops; their MM inflicted some serious damage here, to the point the Hastings standard got even captured! However the Hasting troops stood up and passed the Battle Flight die roll unhindered. One Lancastrian MM got lost after being attacked by two Hastings DM and another one retired by LB fire.

The battle front at this point looked as an 's' letter: at the Yorkist right/Lancastrian left, Gloucester men were trying to advance against Warwick reserve; at the Yorkist left/Lancastrian right Oxford battle was trying its best to eliminate Hastings battle, while at the center a sort of stalemate developed between Montagu and Edward battles.

Realizing the victory could swing in either direction and that Gloucester was in much better position to outflank the Lancastrians than Oxford battle was, they decided to press on; with the support of their 2 LB (the Artillery was left behind) plus another LB detached from Edward IV battle, a shower of arrows started falling on Warwick MM; the whole idea was to get them disordered (as it happen), and after a successful initiative seizure their numerical superior group of DM and Inf units slaughtered them. Warwick battle was 'on the ropes' now and the situation looked grim for the Lancastrians; Edward IV men pushed forward and despite 1 Inf lost and 1 DM retired due to LB fire, they moved forward and Montagu men could not repulse such an attack, while loosing 1 DM as a result. Another round of Gloucester attack against Warwick and the latter battle was put to flight, with the Lancastrians reaching 39 FP, 2 points over its FL of 37, so the battle was over with a clear cut Yorkist victory...the Yorkist had 20 FP.

Some points to comment:

1-I know the optional rule about not using fog had an impact; however I feel it did not have much significance as it might looks. If the Hastings battle had fled the field (and they were close to, their standard being captured by the Lancastrians) then the outcome could swing to the other direction. Also the sudden flight of Exeter battle influenced in the outcome; if this battle remained in the field, Gloucester men would have a much difficult time at outflanking the Lancastrian left, since both Gloucester and Exeter battles were very similar in numbers.

2-As mentioned in the AAR for Twekesbury, the Blood & Roses battles involve tactical thinking and strategy, but at the end are decided through vicious and ferocious fighting. In other words, those blood thirsty fellow gamers will have a wonderful time playing B&R.

3-Compared with other scenarios from Men Of Iron and Infidel, the cavalry charge is powerful but not quite so much; the option to retreat units instead of getting them disordered made for a difference, plus the fact that missile fire allows to unhorse mounted MM more often. Also when a Cav/MM retreats before combat and gets disordered had an impact: Warwick men did it and then were attacked by LB then Inf/DM with disastrous consequences.

4-As mentioned before, these B&R scenarios are much more balanced since troops Shock DRM, armament and capabilities are the same for both sides.

I consider B&R and excellent investment in fun, excitement as well as a learning experience, since before I admit it my knowledge on the English War Of The Roses was sort of limited.

Fellows, please feel completely free to enter your comments and opinions here.

Regards,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb

Perfect timing. My copy arrived in the post today! Many thanks for the AAR to put me in the mood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Perfect timing. My copy arrived in the post today! Many thanks for the AAR to put me in the mood

You're welcome Jim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
With the fog, the game is even more of a slugfest since the fog neuters the missile troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Freda
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And slows down the movement, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.