Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see what's going on here. It costs 1CP to flip a consul to +1, then it costs one less CP to move it to the right, at which point it flips back to the normal side. They cancel each other out. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
[When asked if he would give a speech, Jinx said,] "Me, I'm a doer, not a talker." And when they asked him what it was he did, he said, "Sleep, mostly." -Walter R. Brooks
mbmbmbmbmb
You only use the +1 side if you have a spare CP left at the end of your turn and nothing else to spend it on. It's sort of like putting it in the bank, but it also costs more for an opponent to move it to the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO it works as a (sort-of) insurance policy, to make it a little more costly for opponents to woo your minor allies away..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
[When asked if he would give a speech, Jinx said,] "Me, I'm a doer, not a talker." And when they asked him what it was he did, he said, "Sleep, mostly." -Walter R. Brooks
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Or to reduce your own costs to advance it in the future. As I said, though, we never do it unless we find ourselves wondering what to do with that last CP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Although in fact,"to reduce your own costs to advance it in the future" isn't quite right, is it? Because when the counter lands in the next space, you have to flip it back to the normal side, so the process is repeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say the next space you want to move it to costs 4 CP. If you pay one CP now, you leave it in its current box and flip it to the +1CP side. On your next turn, if you want to advance it, you only have to pay 3 CP because you already paid one. So pay 3 CP, move it forward one box, and flip it back to the plain side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it really is as you originally said - good use of an odd CP at the end of your turn that you can't do anything else with! You end up using the same gross # of CPs, but you build in some insurance and don't have to use such a big wallop of CPs all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.