Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Looking forward to playing this. Devouring rules and videos while I wait.
I have a couple questions that I haven't found a specific answer to in the rulebook or forum posts:

1. I thought I remember watching a video that claimed if an agent is attacking an alien and rolls both a JAM and an AMMO, then the AMMO is ignored. However, I don't see that confirmed anywhere in the rulebook. Is it true that you cannot suffer both a jam and a -1 ammo?

2. Do bolt effects always occur BEFORE anything else? For example, does Thorium's Heal 1 Bolt Effect heal 1 wound BEFORE he potentially suffers any additional wounds from the attack? Thus, if he has 0 wounds going into an alien attack, the alien has 2 hits, and Thorium rolls 0 shields and a bolt, he would suffer 2 wounds if his bolt effect took effect before the attack.

3. I realize I'll know the answer to this in a couple days but I really want to understand details before I receive the game! I'm trying to figure out the die faces based on page 17 in the rulebook so I know what my odds are going to be.
For a blue die, I gather there are no HIT-HIT faces so that would mean the 10 faces are:
BoltHit / BoltHit / JamHit / AmmoHit / Hit / Skull / Shield / Shield / Shield / Shield. That seems to jibe with the manual.
I have a problem figuring out the red die faces, however. From videos I've watched, it appears that there is 1 HIT-HIT face on each red die. That would mean (I think!) that the 10 faces of each red die are:
BoltHit / BoltHit / BoltHit / JamHit / AmmoHit / HitHit / Hit / Skull / GD / GD.
That comes to 8 Hits. However, page 17 indicates that a red die can only show 7 hits in total. So is the rulebook incorrect or have I messed up in my calculations?

4. When you accumulate 4 pieces of Alien Tech, you're entitled to choose a specific device or a random improved weapon. There are 10 improved weapons in the game. The iPad app, however, seems to suggest that specific improved weapons go with specific agents. For example, Titanium can upgrade his MG on the iPad app to a grimreaper, a lasergun, or a vulcan. Which is correct then? The rules or the app? And if the former, how do you associate a weapon with an agent if it's not listed as a choice?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't recall any such rule. Afaik, you can both Jam and lose an Ammo on the same attack.

2. Yes, bolt effects are applied first.

3. If you count your list, it shows 7 faces on the attack die that show hits.

4. The 10 improved weapons are meant to be improved versions of the primary and secondary weapons of the 5 agents that come in the set. So each one has a class restriction printed on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Hero_guy wrote:
1. I don't recall any such rule. Afaik, you can both Jam and lose an Ammo on the same attack.

2. Yes, bolt effects are applied first.

3. If you count your list, it shows 7 faces on the attack die that show hits.

4. The 10 improved weapons are meant to be improved versions of the primary and secondary weapons of the 5 agents that come in the set. So each one has a class restriction printed on it.

Thanks.
Re: #3, page 17 suggests that there should be 7 hits, not 7 faces containing one or more hits. So I gather I have the blue and red die faces recorded correctly.
Re: #4, if you draw a random weapon, it goes to the agent whose class matches the improved weapon then? Therefore, it's possible you may end up improving one agent's primary weapon twice, thus wasting one of them (because I gather it has to be returned if unused)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Re: #4, if you draw a random weapon, it goes to the agent whose class matches the improved weapon then? Therefore, it's possible you may end up improving one agent's primary weapon twice, thus wasting one of them (because I gather it has to be returned if unused)?

For improved weapons, I do not believe there are any that overlap; there's one improved primary and one improved secondary weapon for each class.

If you somehow managed to run through all the improved weapons, then you could get some overlap with the alien weapons, but since those are difficult to use (unless you learn the Alien Knowledge skill), your choices there should be pretty straight-forward.

If you are playing a campaign, then even if you cannot use the improved weapon that you draw it goes to "HQ" which means that you can deploy with it at the beginning of a future mission if that mission's setup allows for improved weapons (and do not have to include it in the pool when drawing new improved weapons). In this instance, you are effectively researching new weapons with the alien tech, and it is then available to you for the rest of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, what Skaak said.

Once a weapon is drawn it is removed from the pool, even if it is not assigned to an agent. if you are playing campaign mode, then the weapon is removed from the pool for the rest of the campaign. So you could only ever draw 2 improved weapons (1 for each of his basic weapons) for the Marine, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
But if there's only 1 improved primary weapon and 1 improved secondary weapon per class, why in the iPad app do I see more than 1 upgrade choice for each agent. For example, it appears I can upgrade Chromium's primary weapon to either Assault Rifle, Lasergun, or Plasma Rifle and his secondary weapon to either Eagle 1, Eagle II, or the Lasergun again. So it seems as if there are multiple choices of improved weapons for each Agent, not just one. Unless I'm interpreting the iPad app incorrectly.

Does everyone agree that it's possible to get hit with both an ammo and a jam in the same roll? I believe it was one of the Drive Thru videos that suggested that if you rolled both, only the jam would apply. That struck me as being odd since I didn't recall seeing it anywhere in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gifford
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
schnel wrote:
But if there's only 1 improved primary weapon and 1 improved secondary weapon per class, why in the iPad app do I see more than 1 upgrade choice for each agent. For example, it appears I can upgrade Chromium's primary weapon to either Assault Rifle, Lasergun, or Plasma Rifle and his secondary weapon to either Eagle 1, Eagle II, or the Lasergun again. So it seems as if there are multiple choices of improved weapons for each Agent, not just one. Unless I'm interpreting the iPad app incorrectly.

Does everyone agree that it's possible to get hit with both an ammo and a jam in the same roll? I believe it was one of the Drive Thru videos that suggested that if you rolled both, only the jam would apply. That struck me as being odd since I didn't recall seeing it anywhere in the rulebook.

Lasergun and Plasma Rifle are Alien Weapons. In a campaign you start pulling from those after you get all improved weapons.

Green = Normal Weapon
Blue = Improved Weapon
Red = Alien Tech Weapon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Sielle wrote:
schnel wrote:

Lasergun and Plasma Rifle are Alien Weapons. In a campaign you start pulling from those after you get all improved weapons.

Green = Normal Weapon
Blue = Improved Weapon
Red = Alien Tech Weapon

Oh, I got it. The iPad app doesn't distinguish those except by color, and I wasn't aware of the color key. That explains it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gifford
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Ahh, I haven't used the App at all yet (It doesn't support the KS items yet). Good to know, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Does everyone agree that it's possible to get hit with both an ammo and a jam in the same roll?

There's nothing in the rulebook to indicate that these are mutually exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
schnel wrote:
Does everyone agree that it's possible to get hit with both an ammo and a jam in the same roll?

There's nothing in the rulebook to indicate that these are mutually exclusive.

There is a vague familiarity when you mention seeing that in a video. I may have too when I was looking at this Kickstarter and soaking up extra material to preview the game and see just a little bit more.

But so far I haven't seen it in the rules either or managed to come across it again. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a rule book revision from the reviewers copies rulebooks given out in those early packages with the single model of a Xeno-Grey, to what we as customers now hold in our hands of a finished project.

But you are not alone - it seems strangely familiar to me too now that I hear you talking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
On the subject of attacks, I can see that Thorium's secondary attack is to heal fellow agents within range 1. So what exactly does his combat medic ability mean then (when healing with any weapon or device, +1 life point)? Does that mean that while he's healing another agent, he can also give himself a +1 heal?

(Maybe I should put this in a new post, but thought I'd start here first.)

Thank you. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
On the subject of attacks, I can see that Thorium's secondary attack is to heal fellow agents within range 1. So what exactly does his combat medic ability mean then (when healing with any weapon or device, +1 life point)? Does that mean that while he's healing another agent, he can also give himself a +1 heal?

No, this doesn't apply to Thorium. It's basically a guaranteed +1 health when using the Nanobot (since the rest rely on dice), and an extra health when using something like a Medkit.

The only time Thorium automatically heals himself is if he rolls a bolt when defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:
schnel wrote:

No, this doesn't apply to Thorium. It's basically a guaranteed +1 health when using the Nanobot (since the rest rely on dice), and an extra health when using something like a Medkit.

The only time Thorium automatically heals himself is if he rolls a bolt when defending.

Oh, I see. So if he rolls a hit, he heals 2 life points for the other agent! Makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gifford
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
schnel wrote:
Skaak wrote:
schnel wrote:

Oh, I see. So if he rolls a hit, he heals 2 life points for the other agent! Makes sense.

If Thorium rolls a single hit on his secondary weapon he would heal 2 life, if he rolled 2 hits he would heal 3 life, etc. etc.

Also if he used a med kit he would also heal an extra life with that (and anything else that comes our way for healing). Note: The extra healing doesn't appear to take affect with his armor bolt ability, as it isn't a weapon or device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.