Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathon M
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...What if the game isn't fun? I know, I know, I know. But hear me (read me) out. The game looks fun. I've watched all the gameplay videos about 5,293 times each (except the new tournament game that just came out, I've only seen that one 2,993 times). It looks fantastic. But what if it's not?

I could just be worrying. I've tried to tell friends about it, and most don't really get it. I pre-ordered enough stuff so that I should have an almost complete set with enough dice to go around, but what if it's not fun? What if I get it and roll my dice the first time in the first game and think "Wow, that sucked."?

Don't mind me. I think I'm getting nervous since this is the first tabletop type game I've really been excited for BEFORE it got released. All the reviews are good so far. I'm just sick of waiting, and wanted to yammer on a bit.

Does anyone else have anxieties that maybe, just maybe, you too were just hypnotized by all the pretty dice and the Marvel characters and when the game arrives it'll be worse than Scrabble? (In my world, Scrabble deserves the snore emote.)

(Please note: I've had lots of coffee today, and that may have affected my thinking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it sucks. How is this different than any other product you've ever purchased? They're not all worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a repeated Kickstarter backer, I'm used to this. I hope I enjoy it and, more importantly, my friends like it so I can get it to the table often. If not, then I hope the organized play takes off so I can get some play there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
OddballNarwhal wrote:
...What if the game isn't fun?

Then you send all your game to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Churchill
United States
Platte City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDoubleVVision wrote:
OddballNarwhal wrote:

Split it between the 2 of us please.

I want to see more gameplay vidoes also. I can't get enough of those....fascinating to watch imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why you WAIT until after it's released, then buy it if you read good things. It's easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only it were that simple. I heard lots of good things about "The King's Speech", but left the theatre wanting my time and money back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon M
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, I'm not all that worried about it. I think obsessing over things that aren't that important (in the grand scheme) is what makes a geek a geek. So, I feel like I'm just hitting this stage in the 5 Stages of Geekf. The 'f' has to be there for the joke to work (say it out loud).

I've been burned by too many video games, movies, and TV shows that looked super great in the previews but, after all was said and done, they just fell flat.

Tomorrow I'll be on to the acceptance step. I accept that the game will not be out for a few more weeks, and I can't change that, so I'll peacefully wait until that box shows up on the porch (or I break and try to find it at a FLGS on the 23rd).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sold that it will be fun. I've played enough Quarriors (thanks to the iPad app) that I know I'll enjoy the mechanic. The only thing I'm worried about is that the life total may not be high enough to really allow for anything beyond rush rush strategies (not that the game should take very long no matter what), or enough time for the more expensive dice to make an impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MFK
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:
I'm pretty sold that it will be fun. I've played enough Quarriors (thanks to the iPad app) that I know I'll enjoy the mechanic. The only thing I'm worried about is that the life total may not be high enough to really allow for anything beyond rush rush strategies (not that the game should take very long no matter what), or enough time for the more expensive dice to make an impact.

Would it break the game to play until 30, 40, or 50? Not being sarcastic/ugly, just wondering if people have tried it and are opposed for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While reviews are, of course, subjective, I tend to keep the ones I agree with most closer to my heart. And the ones I may not agree with on a consistent basis but clearly explain why are right next to them. I've seen as close to 100% positive press about this game as I've ever seen in a board game, so I'm extremely hopeful.

Having said that, there is still a dark corner of my mind that completely agrees with your anxiety and sincerely hopes it lives up to expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sputang wrote:
If only it were that simple. I heard lots of good things about "The King's Speech", but left the theatre wanting my time and money back.

Then the solution for that is to actually play or demo the game after it comes out. Then you'll really have no excuse. Easy peasy, Japaneasy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I can tell you that it IS indeed fun! I played two matches with the demo set my FLGS brought back from GAMA Trade Show. It's like the perfect combination of Quarriors and Magic the Gathering.

I'm all in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DDoubleVVision wrote:
OddballNarwhal wrote:

I would be happy to establish a home for abandoned MDMAXm games. They can be loved, cared for, and played and some of them could even be adopted out. I'm charitable like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Koonings
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
The only thing i don't know is if you can cull, which you have to i guess ?
And i think there are a few over the top powers of characters, and MOST of them are too strong. If you both only have 20 life, and a character can do a pucnh for 8 and maybe even boost ? Wow, it might be unbalanced.
That said, i pre-ordered a starter kit and a booster box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathon,

Responding to the tone of your post, which seems a bit lighter than others have taken it, I'll say that I'm confident none of us will be disappointed. And this is from someone who got hooked on Heroclix figures without ever playing the game and ended up with over 400 and still never played the game and am bringing them all to my local game store tomorrow to trade in for credit.

The mechanics of Dice Masters just feels solid and right. That doesn't mean all gamers will fall in love with it but I believe that if the demos have appealed to you then once you have the cards in front of you and the dice in your hands you will attain a Zen state that will justify your enthusiasm.

Not that there's anything wrong with people who enjoy Scrabble. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabiballetje wrote:
And i think there are a few over the top powers of characters, and MOST of them are too strong. If you both only have 20 life, and a character can do a pucnh for 8 and maybe even boost ? Wow, it might be unbalanced.
The characters that do that much damage usually cost 6-7 energy to recruit. Not an easy feat when you're only pulling 4 dice at a time. You'll need to have allready have dice in the prep area or have a couple other cheap guys in your bag. Needless to say, those characters are late game guys and some can still be blocked by a lonely sidekick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
gabiballetje wrote:

There's no culling built in to the rules. Maybe it will show up on dice abilities later (or maybe in a booster at launch), but there's no way that's baked into the game to get rid of your sidekicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
sputang wrote:
[q="gabiballetje"]characters that do that much damage usually cost 6-7 energy to recruit. Not an easy feat when you're only pulling 4 dice at a time. You'll need to have allready have dice in the prep area or have a couple other cheap guys in your bag. Needless to say, those characters are late game guys and some can still be blocked by a lonely sidekick.

This is a mechanic seen in Magic The Gathering. I stopped playing Magic after Fallen Empires came out, so things may have changed. But back then the big beasties were trade bait for kids at best. Everyone would marvel at the massive attack value. But practical use of these cards was virtually null and void. Often times, if they ever made it into your hand to begin with, they never hit the table. Stronger characters were ones whose abilities seem unbalanced, or whose effectiveness seem a bit unbalanced. Serra Angels were great. lol

Even if you saved dice in your ready area to be used to bring out a Cyclops, you have effectively virtually "skipped" a turn just to buy a big character. Who, is still a turn or two away from being rolled. And even then, it's no guarantee it will roll as a character. Thats a lot of time/energy spent on one die. If you managed to have the time and energy to get that bad boy into play, you likely didn't even need it to begin with. But then, we'll have to see when we actually play the game. As far as I can tell, Dice Masters looks very balanced. if anything, the most overpowered card in the game seems to be in the starter set (Storm) according to early play testers. Not for attack numbers, but for her ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Fuller
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen of the game it is actually pretty easy to generate energy early on depending on what dice you "buy". Cheaper characters can generate double energy as can the power/ability cards which also have low costs. So you could be pulling dice that generates double energy for buying the more powerful characters pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope dice culling doesn't occur, or at least is kept to a minimum. My biggest concern about the game is that it will play too fast. I'd be concerned that culling would shorten a game that might alreday be on the cusp of being too short.

chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, Glen.

It's also one of the reasons the game can be boring, too. Sometimes it's fun to actually be able to enjoy a big, powerful unit in a game. Sometimes it's okay to give the players something a bit overpowered if it makes the game more fun. Just my 2 cents on it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
sputang wrote:
[q="gabiballetje"]characters that do that much damage usually cost 6-7 energy to recruit. Not an easy feat when you're only pulling 4 dice at a time. You'll need to have allready have dice in the prep area or have a couple other cheap guys in your bag. Needless to say, those characters are late game guys and some can still be blocked by a lonely sidekick.

This is a mechanic seen in Magic The Gathering. I stopped playing Magic after Fallen Empires came out, so things may have changed. But back then the big beasties were trade bait for kids at best. Everyone would marvel at the massive attack value. But practical use of these cards was virtually null and void. Often times, if they ever made it into your hand to begin with, they never hit the table. Stronger characters were ones whose abilities seem unbalanced, or whose effectiveness seem a bit unbalanced. Serra Angels were great. lol

As an aside, yes. Much has changed in MtG since Fallen Empires, btw. The best creatures are actually useable and are often four-ofs in the best tournament decks. Take a look at Archangel of Thune or Emrakul. Wizards has made a conscious effort to make creatures better.

Fallen Empires was released in 1994. It may be shocking, but that was 20 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon M
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Maddest Hatter wrote:
sputang wrote:

As an aside, yes. Much has changed in MtG since Fallen Empires, btw. The best creatures are actually useable and are often four-ofs in the best tournament decks. Take a look at Archangel of Thune or Emrakul. Wizards has made a conscious effort to make creatures better.

Fallen Empires was released in 1994. It may be shocking, but that was 20 years ago.

I really don't want to think about Fallen Empires being released 20 years ago. Between that and the Kurt Cobain anniversary, I am feeling my age. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to tie an onion to my belt and go yell at some kids who are on my lawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.