Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Morini
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!
I am a Ph.D. student in education and communication, and while on an epic quest for a university able to give games their due respect, I had the luck to participate, at the University of Tampere, in a game idea workshop held by local researcher Annakaisa Kultima. The workshop was actually extremely interesting, as we came up with quite a lot of ideas, both for mechanics and themes (many of them very silly, but lots of fun). Tomorrow we will try to pick out the best and structure them a bit more.

Workshop aside, Kultima mantains quite interesting resources on her website, and the most comprehensive among them is this free book, "1001 Game Ideas": http://gamelab.uta.fi/gamespacetool/FILES/Tools/GuideBook_fo...

While originally geared towards "casual mobile games", it is now used as a universal resource by many finnish game designers and students. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on it: could something like this (in the most general sense) work in a big community like this? How could it be adapted for this different "environment"?

I warn you, I might want to inquire deeper into this issues...So be prepared for...Science! (and by Science I mean, of course, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUMBBFjxrY)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed the book at work today but haven't had much time to read it in depth. From the few pages I flipped through, this looks like a really neat resource. I particularly like the brainstorming methods outlined in the book.

I look forward to digging in and reading it in more detail in the coming weeks. But in the meantime I will say that even in its current state your book is valuable to this community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Morini
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to be contributing! And speaking of this (while using this post to bump the thread for more weekend visibility), should I post this in Game Articles, as it is indeed a not-so-short reading? Or should I post it in the "Designer's Resource" thread? As you can see I'm quite new here, and I still need to learn the ropes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy your book. It's an amazing tool to awake designer's creativity, an invaluable resource for designers. Thanks.

I want to use your ideas with my children. If we achieve some goals (an early definition for a game, for example) I'll say to you.

Thanks again for share it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Morini
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank you for giving your feedback. As I am receiving few but quite enthousiastic responses, I am going to repost this in the "Article" subforum and to propose its inclusion in the "Game Designer Resources" thread. Hope I am not violating some rules. And, most importantly, I hope you will have a good time with your kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Morini
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping these and telling a bit more of the story: the workshop is ongoing and shifted theme a bit, as we are currently prototyping some well known video games as board games, among which Portal (with a nice 2D "level editor" made of cardboard squares) and WoW (using Legos to simulate character builds). Still, the book is retaining its usefulness in coming up with mechanics and scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great link, shared it with our local game dev group Thanks!

http://makegamessa.com/discussion/1952/book-1001-game-ideas#...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.