Subject: Compared to... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Cuba, but I suggest Stone Age. It is also a great game, and simpler then Cuba, so it is better as a gateway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trarmstrong wrote:
I'm new to euro/worker gaming and deciding between Cuba and Stone Age.

Love the looks of the game along with mechanics, repeative play, and strategy.

Other options????

Thanks.
Definitions blur, but I wouldn't consider Cuba a worker placement game. What lets you "place workers" is playing the appropriate card from your hand. Also, you don't actually place physical workers. While you can get blocked out of certain spots, they're only blocking the Alternative.

For other worker placement games, they include Kingsburg, Agricola, and Pillars Of Earth

other games where it's role selection, check out Race For The Galaxy, San Juan, Puerto Rico, or Eminent Domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games. I prefer Cuba, but it really comes down to how you feel about randomness (input vs. output).

Stone Age involves dice rolling for resource generation (output randomness), so you don't have "perfect information" to optimize your turns.

Whereas Cuba has completely public information and the only random factor is the card draws at the start of each round (input randomness) and what the other players do.

Cuba is not that much heavier a game and, in my opinion, gives a richer experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both games. I'd recommend Stone Age as your next step.

trarmstrong wrote:
I'm new to euro/worker gaming and deciding between Cuba and Stone Age.

Love the looks of the game along with mechanics, repeative play, and strategy.

Other options????

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, really like both games. I would teach Stone Age first if I had an interested group of relatively inexperienced gamers. I agree with earlier posters that Cuba isn't worker placement. It is a good introduction to role selection, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Daly
Scotland
Glasgow
Select
flag msg tools
Wholeheartedly inept
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Cuba, It's much more interesting in my opinion and has rum bottle meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But doesn't have any stinky material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and like both, but I prefer Cuba. That said, Stone Age is probably a better first step for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also of the opinion that Cuba is the better game. However, it is also meatier (heavier) than Stone Age.

I'd say you should carefully consider who you might be playing your selected game with. Cuba is definitely too heavy for non-gamers (mom, I'm looking at you!), while Stone Age is much more family friendly.

Also consider that Cuba has open scoring, so anyone falling behind might feel chanceless. Stone Age, on the other hand, has hidden scoring (scores are calculated at game end), meaning that players may be more inclined to still feel like they are in contention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer Cuba since these days, I'd rather play Stone Age only if it has expansions/extras. Otherwise, I just play it on my Ipod Touch and call it a day. Plus, Cuba's more rare

If you have other groups you mingle with, there's a good change they have SA, and you can just use their copies. If it's just your own group, and/or you can see yourself playing more lighter games, then go with SA

FWIW, Cuba is an excellent alternative to Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is a fun game, but Stone Age has great flexibility based on all player counts. I can't imagine playing Cuba 2 or 3p very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the others say. I prefer Cuba but Stone Age is easier to grasp if you are new to heavier games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trarmstrong wrote:
Should have mentioned that the majority of the time I will be playing with my Wife. Looking for a good economics/farming euro-type game that is like Puerto Rico.

Most local stores haven't even heard of Cuba - which I think is pretty cool (only kid on the block who would have it).

Would I be missing something if I got Cuba and skipped Stone Age or is there room for both?
Probably, but again, SA is more popular. You can even play it on BSW.com, or buy it on Iphone/Ipad/Ipod Touch and play vs. the AI/MP. Chances are, some folks will already have it. Cuba OTOH to me is more underappreciated, but in case it wasn't clear, I do have a bit of bias for Cuba.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
trarmstrong wrote:
Should have mentioned that the majority of the time I will be playing with my Wife. Looking for a good economics/farming euro-type game that is like Puerto Rico.

Most local stores haven't even heard of Cuba - which I think is pretty cool (only kid on the block who would have it).

One other option might be Santiago De Cuba. It shares the same theme as Cuba including the really beautiful artwork style. (Same designer, publisher and artist as Cuba) It scratches a similar itch and provides much of the same feel as Cuba. This is due to the the shared theme, graphics and basic mechanics of using buildings to process goods and shipping goods for points.

While it shares some base mechanics and provides a similar feel, it is a completely different game than Cuba mechanically beyond that and is a lighter game, more in the range of Stone Age. However this game is best with 2 players (still good with 3 or 4) and plays more quickly than either Cuba or Stone Age (about an hour) so based on the things you like about Cuba and your other other preferences, this may be the perfect game for you.

By the way, while Santiago De Cuba was created as (and is) a great lighter, faster version of Cuba, it actually feels more like a lighter, faster version of Puerto Rico to me in some ways. I think it's because it's more interactive than Cuba, more like Puerto Rico where you really need to consider your neighbors when taking your own turn as your move has a lot of impact on them.

trarmstrong wrote:
Would I be missing something if I got Cuba and skipped Stone Age or is there room for both?

These games are both euro games but pretty much completely different beyond that, so there is definitely room for both. This would be true regardless of whether you went with Cuba or Santiago De Cuba plus Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both last week. Stone Age was "meh" for me, whilst Cuba was "Oh My God, it's AbFab" for me.
With Cuba, I had lots of choices and it did not really matter if I was not first player.
With Stone Age, it felt repetitive...field, mating hut, tool-maker...and then the options of hunting, forest, etc.....it felt too mechanical.
My tuppence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.