Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keyan Farlander ability question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vic
msg tools
Could I still shed my stress even if I roll 0 eyes? I would imagine in this case, the case where I don't have anybody to attack, and also if I receive a blinded pilot crit are the only times I wouldn't be able to shed the stress.

For half a minute I thought I had come across the biggest discovery, I thought of combining Keyan with R3-A2 to add stress to my opponent and burn my own as a focus. But alas, no droids on B-wings shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyan's ability will probably require an FAQ entry.

Keyan + Blinded pilot may also require an FAQ Entry, because it's still an attack but you don't roll any dice.

However, in the case of Garven, the FAQ already states you can spend/pass a focus token even if you have no results to modify. Keyan will likely function the same way, meaning he had better get to attack if he wants to burn off that stress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording certainly means that the ability works "when attacking", even if 0 eyes have been rolled. And if blinded pilot just means attacking with 0 dice, Keyan should be able to drop stress as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is "don't roll any dice" the same as "roll 0 dice"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
meaning he had better get to attack if he wants to burn off that stress.

Yeah this will make opportunist devastating on keyan, you only take the stress if you know you have a shot. +1 attack die and focus for 0 actions (so long as they aren't focused or evaded). Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

I'd say yes, but it could go either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Here's a consequence of these being same or different:

Opportunist adds a die to your attack. If you have a Blinded Pilot face-up and Opportunist, do you get to roll 1 die or not?

If "don't roll any dice" means "roll 0 dice," then the answer is "yes" since 0 + 1 = 1. But if not, you have [undefined] + 1 = [undefined], so you still don't roll any dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic
msg tools
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Yeah this will make opportunist devastating on keyan, you only take the stress if you know you have a shot. +1 attack die and focus for 0 actions (so long as they aren't focused or evaded). Can't wait!

Shoot first with Wes to strip the enemy of that pesky token then plow away with an opportunist Keyan with a TL + Strocus (stressed focus, yeah I just made it up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Here's a consequence of these being same or different:

Opportunist adds a die to your attack. If you have a Blinded Pilot face-up and Opportunist, do you get to roll 1 die or not?

If "don't roll any dice" means "roll 0 dice," then the answer is "yes" since 0 + 1 = 1. But if not, you have [undefined] + 1 = [undefined], so you still don't roll any dice.

Indeed. I think it depends on the sequence in which the effects apply, and my guess would be to add the die first and then reduce the number of dice to 0. But this really needs an official ruling.

Or does X-Wing have a general "restrictions trump powers" rule? I remember something about maneuver difficulty, but not general, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't see any way that there is a need to question this. If you try to roll 1 attack die, then you are violating what Blinded Pilot says.... "do not roll any attack dice". Seems pretty simple to me... it doesn't matter what modifiers you may have. Don't Roll Any Attack Dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
I don't see any way that there is a need to question this. If you try to roll 1 attack die, then you are violating what Blinded Pilot says.... "do not roll any attack dice". Seems pretty simple to me... it doesn't matter what modifiers you may have. Don't Roll Any Attack Dice!

Seconded. Can't always trumps can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:

Is this in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:

Is this in the rules?

I don't think it is.
Quote:
If one card ability forbids an effect,
while another ability allows it, the effect
is forbidden.

That is what is in the rules (P20) but that is not the same thing realy.

On the specifics of blinded pilot though, I agree that you roll no dice no mater what other effects try ta add dice to your roll.
If that means no option to spend a focus... I'm not so sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:

Quote:
If one card ability forbids an effect,
while another ability allows it, the effect
is forbidden.

That is what is in the rules (P20) but that is not the same thing realy.

On the specifics of blinded pilot though, I agree that you roll no dice no mater what other effects try ta add dice to your roll.
If that means no option to spend a focus... I'm not so sure.

I think we can assume that rolling dice is a forbidden effect in this case, but this is not 100% certain. I would allow spendig a focus (or stress) for a blinded pilot, because the attack does take place with 0 dice, but I am also not really sure here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.