Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With so many threads on here about what should I buy next or what game would I like, I thought I would post a thread about the opposite.

So here goes....

Look over my collection and tell me what games I should get rid of and why.
It could be as simple as you would like me to trade that game to you or I have several other games that represent the same theme, mechanics, etc...

What should I get rid of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sweeney
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem dumb, but I would say anything you rated 4 or lower probably doesn't need to be on your shelf.

On a related note, I'm curious, why did you rate Seaside so much lower than the other Dominion expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get rid of anything. Keep buying. Keep building. The world is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is almost impossible to answer... It really depends on what you and your friends (and especially your better half) like.

But here's a few general tips anyhow:

- How many times per year do you play a certain game? There's no need to hold on to games that you only play once every three years. These can also be games that are actually good, but you've played so often they've gone cold turkey.

- What games do your friends own? Say you like Agricola, but the people you play it with each have Agricola anyway. You can make room there.

- Box size. I know this sounds weird, but if you have to get rid of games because of spacial reasons, well, size matters. Especially for games you don't play often.

- Time. Whereas it's okay to have several games that last an hour (because you play a few of them on a game night), most people don't necessarily need ten different 4 hour games.

- Is a game dominated by another? By this I mean if you were to choose a game to play, is there another (similar) game that you would always choose over this game? This basically comes down to niches. For instance, I like Dominion, but my friends much prefer Thunderstone, Core Worlds and Marvel Legendary. So when we play a deckbuilding game, even though Dominion isn't bad, we almost never pick it. Now, this is can be really tricky, because games are normally not strictly better than others, but it can help if you think about itches and scratches. meeple

- What genres do you really like? Basically, in genres you like a lot you can keep more games whereas in genres you don't particularily care for, one game of a certain type might be enough.

- Fluxx. Get rid of Fluxx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get rid of the following:

Robinson Crusoe
Runewars
Thebes
Witch's Brew
Prophecy
Seasons
Belfort

They're all so bad you should just give them away.

In fact, I'll take them. That will be the easiest way to go about this. If that's not enough, I can take a second look and choose some more that are really bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have unplayed games in your closet, don't think of them as games, think of them as home insulation.

Home insulation is a good thing, right? You can always use more home insulation.

I have a lot of home insulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:

- Fluxx. Get rid of Fluxx.

LOL!

I understand its hard to answer. Our collection grew when our long time gaming friends moved away and we haven't found a regular group to game with since then.

Also I am horrible at logging plays so I really don't know what I play most often or when I last played something.

Also have a 6 month old son who I hope will one day want to play regularly.

But I don't want to deprive a game of a loving home either.

Wish there was an all in one tool to analyze a collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Have you really not played so many of your games? Or you just don't record plays with regularity?

thedacker wrote:
You should get rid of the following:

Robinson Crusoe
Runewars
Thebes
Witch's Brew
Prophecy
Seasons
Belfort

They're all so bad you should just give them away.

In fact, I'll take them. That will be the easiest way to go about this. If that's not enough, I can take a second look and choose some more that are really bad.

Do what this guy says. And send me Qwirkle while you're at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A serious suggestion...

Some people will be horrified at the thought but I sold off my copy of Warhammer Quest with one character and one treasure pack. It has extremely high resale value and honestly I didn't picture my ever bringing it to the table when I had Descent 2.0 instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeweeney wrote:
This may seem dumb, but I would say anything you rated 4 or lower probably doesn't need to be on your shelf.

I would bump the number to 6. There has to be a significant personal reason for me to keep a game I rate as a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
mikeweeney wrote:

I would bump the number to 6. There has to be a significant personal reason for me to keep a game I rate as a 6.

I agree and might even go further. I generally just keep the games I REALLY REALLY like of a certain genre/mechanic and trade/sell games who are similar but I like a little less. To me, it makes no sense for example to own both Dominion AND Thunderstone for example. I am myself severely in doubt if I should keep Ascension around.. given that it keeps Dominion from hitting the table.

Also, I started logging plays from 01-01-2014. It is very interesting to see the amount of games you play and how some 'similar' games remain unplayed. For example, I know that I played Twilight Imperium 3 10x last year, but Runewars just twice. I like Runewars a lot, but should I keep it based on these figures? I think that's a good argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.