Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How to Improve The Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Game [+] Quick [+] Theme [+] Simple [+] Solo [+] Sci [+] Fi [+] [View All]
I just finished a new game. I've played tested it a lot, so I'm pretty sure the gameplay is solid, balanced, and hopefully fun. But I haven't tested the rule book with any one.

Essentially it is a one player print and play game in the style of Forbidden Desert/Island that should take between 5-10 minutes and requires only the game board (1 page) a pen, and a d6 die.

I've attached the images below - I'm sorry about the quality, it got downgraded when I converted it to jpeg. If there is another way to upload a file, let me know, and I can try to get better quality.

Thank you in advance for advice.

[Edit: Alternative way to get Rules https://www.dropbox.com/s/afsyidspnkv5gnr/Derelict%20Rules.p...]

[Second Edit: Updated rules that fixed a few typos and formatting issues - no gameplay changes https://www.dropbox.com/s/p23castgue9by8c/Derelict%20Rules.d...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Can you put the files in Dropbox or something?
Or maybe at least copy the text of the rules into a comment here so they are at least legible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll get to game testing it. see how good it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz wrote:
Or maybe at least copy the text of the rules into a comment here so they are at least legible...

If you click on the image they show it at medium, which is not legible; however, if you click on large or original it should be legible though kind of grainy. Dropbox is a good idea and I'll work on setting one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
ItsaGameProductions wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

If you click on the image they show it at medium, which is not legible; however, if you click on large or original it should be legible though kind of grainy. Dropbox is a good idea and I'll work on setting one up.

I definitely would be up for trying this out if the rules were in a succinct, consolidated PDF or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MOTHDevil wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

I definitely would be up for trying this out if the rules were in a succinct, consolidated PDF or something similar.

I don't currently use Dropbox, but I'll have it set up within half an hour or so.

Does BGG have a way to upload a PDF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

I don't currently use Dropbox, but I'll have it set up within half an hour or so.

Does BGG have a way to upload a PDF?

Yes, but you'd have to set up an entry for your game, which has a wait period requiring moderator approval. You're honestly better setting up the dropbox for the moment. Put the file in your "Public" dropbox folder, then left click and select "copy public URL." Paste that into this thread and you're good to go.

What are your ultimate plans for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afsyidspnkv5gnr/Derelict%20Rules.p...

Let me know if this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
What are your ultimate plans for this?

My goal is a free print and play - I played Zombie in My Pocket a few months ago and really liked it - but it was very luck dependent. I also play Forbidden Desert and similar games by myself frequently. However, these games take a lot of time, and space and aren't really that mobile. I wanted to create a game like one of these games which was simple and portable. (You actually don't need anything but a piece of blank paper, a d6, or random number generator and something to write with - it's just more fun with artwork).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll have to check it when I get home... might be a couple days.

If your goal is free PNP, I don't think there's any harm in submitting this in the BGG database. You could make a series out of it.

And there's solo PNP contests out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MOTHDevil wrote:

If your goal is free PNP, I don't think there's any harm in submitting this in the BGG database. You could make a series out of it.

Thanks. I'll look for the solo PNP contests. I do want to submit it to BGG as a game, but I want to make sure the rules at least marginally work. I'm not hoping for stellar reviews, but I'd hate to get a few really bad ones just because no one can figure out what they're supposed to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Thanks. I'll look for the solo PNP contests. I do want to submit it to BGG as a game, but I want to make sure the rules at least marginally work. I'm not hoping for stellar reviews, but I'd hate to get a few really bad ones just because no one can figure out what they're supposed to do.

I totally understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can you send me the rules through geek-msg, or copy and paste them up on the forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brokenearth wrote:
Can you send me the rules through geek-msg, or copy and paste them up on the forum?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afsyidspnkv5gnr/Derelict%20Rules.p...

That link should take you to a .pdf of the whole thing (5 pages including game board - rules are really only 2 pages long). Otherwise, I can send them to you through a geek-msg (after I figure that out )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.