Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, BGG! Classifications such as "Eurogame" and "Ameritrash" are common and well-worn around these parts, but I want to dig deeper than that. I thought it would be interesting to play a game from each nation of the world, because I do feel that there is something to see and experience from every corner of the world.

I'm looking for games that you think exemplifies the culture/spirit/humor/imagination of a specific country.

My criteria for this is not so strict. It can be just about any game, as long as it's a tabletop game (or close to it), and the designer should be from the nation the game represents (so a German designer making a game set in Africa should probably default to Germany, not Africa - unless you can make a pretty strong case otherwise!)

Basically, just post a country, and a game, and why you think it's the essential, representative sample from that country. It's okay to make more than one suggestion, but try to keep it to one for each!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine some countries would be quite difficult but here are some things I could find on some of the harder to find countries:

Changgi - North and South Korea
Shax - Somalia
Achi - Ghana
Checkers (known as Dama) - Qatar
Mehen - Sudan
Crokinole - Canada

There are probably going to be more difficult countries to find a game for, but Im sure there is one for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid - Germany - because only Germans would think electrical infrastructure exciting
Mascarade - France - the theme evokes France (moreso Italy, but France also), and it embraces chaos in a way that I think is suggestive of French game designers
Fortress America - America - never played it, but I believe it is a quintessential Ameritrash game
Machi Koro - Japan - the art is very Japanese, and the game (from what I can tell) has a simplicity typical of other Japanese game designs
Dungeon Lords - Czech - this might be cheating, because Vlaada is the only Czech designer I've really encountered, but this seems typical of many aspects of his design and the setting and humor (as Shut Up and Sit Down pointed out) are definitely evocative of an ex-Soviet Bloc country
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 - Poland - again, my exposure to Polish games is limited to stuff from Portal, but the setting and gameplay do seem indicative of the stuff they produce

That's all I've got!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 - Poland - again, my exposure to Polish games is limited to stuff from Portal, but the setting and gameplay do seem indicative of the stuff they produce

Mali Powstańcy: Warszawa 1944 or Kolejka might be better suited, as they are not only Polish games, but they also revolve around somewhat recent Polish history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

Mali Powstańcy: Warszawa 1944 or Kolejka might be better suited, as they are not only Polish games, but they also revolve around somewhat recent Polish history.

Wow, I had not heard of Mali Powstańcy: Warszawa 1944; it seems like an interesting game. Kolejka is also one I have wanted to play. Good choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana should be the game of choice to represent Mexico.
2 de Mayo for Spain.
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic for Argentina.
1775: Rebellion for the USA
Liberté for France
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for Japan

All of theme attempt to realistically recreate/simulate a lynchpin struggle in their respective countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thailand - Bangkok Klongs. All that's missing from the experience is that klong smell...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ContainerJones wrote:
Pax Porfiriana should be the game of choice to represent Mexico.
2 de Mayo for Spain.
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic for Argentina.
1775: Rebellion for the USA
Liberté for France
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for Japan

All of theme attempt to realistically recreate/simulate a lynchpin struggle in their respective countries.

With the exception of 2 de Mayo, which does appear to be a legit Spanish game (great!), none of these games seem to be created by people from their respective countries.

With that said, I can at least attest that Sekigahara is a fine game, and well-researched...but it's very different to anything contemporary Japanese designers are making

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany - Settlers of Catan
USA - Arkham Horror

E Both games also roughly represent "Eurogame" and "Ameritrash" for me.
Both games are not the best games of each country, just the most famous ones nowadays (at least in my opinion).

Japan - Shogi
China - Mahjongg
Romania - Rummikub
United Kingdom - Warhammer
E Again, please don't confuse "most famous" with "most popular" or even "best".

Rather modern entries:

Norway - Escape: The Curse of the Temple
France - 7 Wonders
Czech Republic - Galaxy Trucker
Poland - Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island

Tricky question, that could be answered in many ways. I went with "first game that comes to mind".

I do not necessarily recommend any game mentioned for buying/playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:

E Again, please don't confuse "most famous" with "most popular" or even "best".

Agreed. This thread is not necessarily meant to find "the best", but more so "the most". The game that you can play and feel like "this is definitely a game designed in _______ ".

Care to say why you nominated some the way you did? What makes "Escape: The Curse of the Temple" such a Norwegian game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For Japan I'd go with Nakajima's Warriors of Japan or the Anglicized version Warriors of God. Japan culture favors detail, nuance, structure and Nakajima's titles have those in spades. Warriors of Japan originally published as a magazine game but was highly praised in spite of its cheap production. The new version on preorder looks absolutely gorgeous, so it's getting the treatment it deserves.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

France could be Queen's Necklace by Faidutti, based on the novel by Dumas. Great little design, art and theme are very French with a theme about the excess of the French royal family of the 1700s.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PORTUGAL!

Madeira
Vinhos
Caravelas
Vintage
Aljubarrota
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anker The m80 Hobbit
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denmark: Merchants & Marauders as Denmark has a history of being
a seafaring nation ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
For Japan I'd go with Nakajima's Warriors of Japan or the Anglicized version Warriors of God. Japan culture favors detail, nuance, structure and Nakajima's titles have those in spades. Warriors of Japan originally published as a magazine game but was highly praised in spite of its cheap production. The new version on preorder looks absolutely gorgeous, so it's getting the treatment it deserves.

S.

This definitely peaks my interest! Do you know roughly how close we are to seeing it in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:
Care to say why you nominated some the way you did? What makes "Escape: The Curse of the Temple" such a Norwegian game?

I went with the designer's nationality with all games of "rather modern entries".

Pretty boring approach of mine, I have to admit, but like I said: this question can be answered in many different ways.

By the way, Café International should be mentioned when talking about nations and boardgames. It's a nice and easy tile placement/scoring game in which you have to take into account which nation can sit next to others.

Pretty silly and stereotypish artworks, but still easy fun.

According to the game, I could only drink coffee and sit at the same table with people from: Turkey, USA and France.

"I like my coffee with sugar and cream." - Beastie Boys laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Korea - Bling Bling Gemstone

or StarCraft: The Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.