Subject: What if we don't start in Atlanta? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wiljan Toonen
Netherlands
Uden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played Pandemic a couple of times. After a few plays we were borred that we everytime have to start in Atlanta, because of that we now draw a citycard and in that city we will start the game. It give some more variate in the game. What do you think of this option to start the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually play this way as well. We take the first city card that is dealt to us and put our pawn there. I don't think it breaks the game but it can make things a little easier since everyone is spread out more instead of all in one spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After I shuffle the city cards, I cut the deck... the card shown is where we start the game from. It just adds to the variety.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it a a pretty commonly accepted variant, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiljan Toonen
Netherlands
Uden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reactions everybody. We know now that we aren't the only ones who starts like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cai T
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I agree. It seems an unnecessary rule that restricts the variability of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Dad
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlanta is all about theme. That is the headquarters for the CDC- you can't start just anywhere. But… if you wanted to start somewhere else… then house rule it. But create a theme. Starting somewhere else would mean you work for the WHO and you get three actions (hahaha). Leave the research station in Atlanta, but when comparing city populations (to see whom goes first) then move your pawn to that city.
One way I've added spice! is to put a city on lockdown. No movement in or out of a random city. I borrowed the idea from Scenario 1 on Z-Man's website. After infecting the board, the tenth card is removed from the game. The city indicated on that card gets a token (I use a penny) and none of the players may enter the city AT ALL. You realize how important Miami is to movement when it's on lockdown.
One final thought, imagine if the tenth card drawn to lockdown was Atlanta?!?

It doesn't matter what you play or how you play as long as everyone has fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.