11 Posts

Arctic Scavengers» Forums » General

Subject: Skirmish phase and an odd #number of players Issues. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-The way I grasp the 2nd Edition official rules, one player may set out to perform a skirmish action once per their full turn.

-If someone initiates a skirmish action against another eligible player, does this count as the expenditure of one skirmish action for the other player, or not?

-If not, does this mean that a player may indirectly manage to be skirmished against more than once per turn, if there is more than just 2 players doing the game?

-Or, if there is an odd number of players, can it be the case that at least one player can manage to not be able to skirmish against anyone else on one particular turn, a situation which could rotate to different players over the course of multiple turns?

-Is it the case that players always draw at least 5 cards to form their hand at the beginning of each player's turn, and may add more to that amount by means of performing and or augmenting a draw action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First two rounds, no skirmish. Everyone takes their own individual turn to DRAW / DIG / HUNT so as to build up their tribe. Since you draw 5 cards each round, this will allow you to go through your entire deck once.

Starting with round 3, skirmish comes into play. One player serves as the initiator and gets to peek at the top of the contested resource pile. That player takes their normal turn and reserves 0-5 cards for the skirmish. These cards are placed face-down on the table and are 'committed' to the skirmish. In clockwise fashion, each other player does the same. Once everyone has taken their turn, then all committed cards are revealed and this single, collective skirmish is resolved once per round.

Hopefully that clarifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-Does this mean that going around the players clockwise, once one player has instigated a skirmish, any number of players may choose to lob themselves in, or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example of a three player round...

Player 1 takes his actions Then he says "I'm putting 2 cards into the skirmish"

Player 2 takes his actions then says "I'm putting 3 cards into the skirmish"

Player 3 takes his actions then says "I'm putting 2 cards into the skirmish."

All players have gone so the skirmish now takes place. All players reveal their cards. Add of strength, if there are any ties add up number of people. Winner gets the contested resource.

Does that make sense? So a skirmish is never instigated. There is ALWAYS ONE skirmish every round. If no one participates in the skirmish the contested resource is "lost" and shuffled into the junk pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
In the Trash phase, players are allowed to choose to discard arbitrary hand cards, according to the rules, to the junkyard pile. Does this include cards (any cards at all) that did not originate in this pile and would typically never bee found in the junkyard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
In the Trash phase, players are allowed to choose to discard arbitrary hand cards, according to the rules, to the junkyard pile. Does this include cards (any cards at all) that did not originate in this pile and would typically never bee found in the junkyard pile?

Yes.

I love digging through trash, finding a survivor, and re-burying him... I can imagine the look on his face. laughcry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
olimar44 wrote:
Zachary1234 wrote:

Yes.

I love digging through trash, finding a survivor, and re-buying him... I can imagine the look on his face. laughcry

Yep, in fact you don't even really 're-buy' him. You just find him and add him to your tribe (via the discard pile) just like you do with anything else you find in the junkyard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gabhart wrote:
olimar44 wrote:
Zachary1234 wrote:

Yes.

I love digging through trash, finding a survivor, and re-buying him... I can imagine the look on his face. laughcry

Yep, in fact you don't even really 're-buy' him. You just find him and add him to your tribe (via the discard pile) just like you do with anything else you find in the junkyard.

Oops, missed a letter: R

re-burying

I meant finding a 1 point survivor in the junk pile and he thinks he has been saved from the frozen wasteland, only to get thrown back in... nah he'll just waste space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
olimar44 wrote:
gabhart wrote:
olimar44 wrote:
Zachary1234 wrote:

Yes.

Oops, missed a letter: R

re-burying

I meant finding a 1 point survivor in the junk pile and he thinks he has been saved from the frozen wasteland, only to get thrown back in... nah he'll just waste space.

OH!!! ROFL...that IS funny!

While chewing on a cigar, you half-yell in your best 'jaded military commander' voice: "Leave him. He'll just slow us down."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
The way I understood the rules is that after you are done with actions, whatever is left in your hand is your skirmish commitment. When everyone's done with actions, everyone reveals some number of cards from their remaining hands, count up combat values, determine the winner and discard the rest of their hands. I don't think of skirmish as "action" that someone needs to initiate - it's just the last phase of every turn, in which everyone participates to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
This seems to be true. I understand that if a card has had a separate action used per turn, it cannot do that and both be applicable to a skirmish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.