Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
But if you are looking for a more filler kind of game, there are a lot of other games I would recommend, such as Through the Ages, Eclipse, or for a really light experience, Twilight Imperium 3, or Virgin Queen. But what do I know?

Wow, you are like my gaming nemesis!! I will respectfully disagree

Bruges is awesome, hence the Kennerspiel nomination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
Not to mention the incredibly powerful 12 cost cards, which are something that I've never really cared for in randomized card games such as this. By that I mean I don't really care for cards that if drawn, can just win the game on their own. The Engraver is a good example, as well as the Biologist. These cards, if drawn, just give the player so much advantage that it's hard to come back from.

Engraver has been nerfed in the second printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, enjoy interaction in games. But I also do not like "take that" interaction that is pasted on and snarky. I do not mind having my position torn apart by the clever play of another player. I do NOT like being torn apart because a player has a few coins and a card with some mean text on it. So I agree with you. Bruges is a boring game with pasted on interaction just to keep it from being completely a solitaire puzzle. I do like cards that have multiple uses, and Bruges does well to have that. But eventually you have to look at the rest of the game and that is where Bruges falls flat. All the avenues to scoring just seem so disjointed and dull. Rialto, in which you have to be constantly reading other players, is a much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I do not mind having my position torn apart by the clever play of another player. I do NOT like being torn apart because a player has a few coins and a card with some mean text on it.
Simply as a generalization, this text resonates for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good review and explains most of my feelings for the game. I feel like there should be less character groups and at least 1 less color type for the random draw system. That way there would be a chance to make some of the set collecting strategies work a touch less frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game for the exact reasons you surmise some people might-it's quick, light and fun to try to develop a winning strategy out of the tactical mess. I agree with Jason that the set collection aspect is disappointing.

The Engraver card is easily fixed, just change the 2 to a 1 with a sharpie which is what I have done. I am getting the expansion though. Not sure what changes it will make in gameplay, but I'm all for exploring it.

The majorities though--trying to keep others from obtaining a majority that you have is key, AND then trying to neutralize the majorities that other(s) have claimed by getting them yourself.

I have only played this as a 2p game and it might be the best count for it. It seems more players would just add to the chaos and there's plenty of that already.

*had my numbers transposed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
The Engraver card is easily fixed, just change the 1 to a 2 with a sharpie which is what I have done.

This is worth doing.

One note though: in the offically Nerfed version, the cost is reduced to a "9" from a "12", and the card scores "3" at the end instead of "12."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
The Engraver card is easily fixed, just change the 1 to a 2 with a sharpie which is what I have done.

This is worth doing.

One note though: in the offically Nerfed version, the cost is reduced to a "9" from a "12", and the card scores "3" at the end instead of "12."

I transposed my numbers! Change the 2 to a 1 is the corrected version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Bruges as my birthday gift this year from my SO kiss and the first play through I was like "HOLY SMOKES there are a lot of LUCK in this game." My other Feld titles that I own are CoB, Notre Dame, and Speicherstat. They surely don't feel the same as Bruges in terms of luck. Even in CoB you have workers to mitigate luck and since the tiles are face-up there is a sense of control.

I was almost blown over by the luck factor in this game and was a little bit disappointed by my first experience. But I reevaluated my expectation on the game and I ended up enjoying it quite more. Knowing what the cards do and what the distribution of the cards are vital to gain a sense of control or else it will be quite frustrating.

I have high hopes in future plays I will enjoy this game more and more.

This game is probably 80% tactical 20% strategic. I was hoping for the strategic part to come out more but then I will say to myself if I want something more strategic I will play CoB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
slimo wrote:
padawanofthegames wrote:
But if you are looking for a more filler kind of game, there are a lot of other games I would recommend, such as Through the Ages, Eclipse, or for a really light experience, Twilight Imperium 3, or Virgin Queen. But what do I know?

Wow, you are like my gaming nemesis!! I will respectfully disagree

Bruges is awesome, hence the Kennerspiel nomination

Ahh, so you base all of your opinions on nominations and awards? I'm gald your opinion isn't my opinion! c:

I was merely trying to demonstrate an objective point of view. My opinion of Bruges is very high, and that fact that it got nominated for an award is a decent endorsement that my opinion is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
No, your fine my friend, I was just joking with you ^.^ Call me a hipster if you like, but there aren't many spiel or kennerspiel games that I really liked, Bruges being the exception at first. But as I played it more and more, I realized how much was really lacking from the meat of the game. Not a bad game by any means, just not my taste really. Pasted on interaction and psuedostrategy isn't something that I've really liked, and Bruges highlights these quite a bit. But I hope you enjoy the game, and my review is by no means an act of telling people not to play the game, it is simply my opinions on the game.

Well put.
I by no means gravitate to award winning games (actually thought Legends of Andor was pretty dull) but in this rare case my tastes aligned with a nominee.
Like most I enjoy defending the games I enjoy, and I hope you enjoy the games which you enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game you play about 1/4 or less of your cards as persons. So there is inherently an overdraw-and-choose mechanic, just like RftG, to mitigate the luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.