Recommend
30 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Guns, Dice, Butter Episode XIX: APR 4, 2014 Published rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Welcome to Episode XIX: APR 4, 2014 of Guns, Dice, Butter: a series of conversations with members of the wargaming tribe

0:00 Introduction: Episode Preview

0:05 Discussion with Ben Hull, designer of the incredible Musket & Pike Series. Additionally, we talk about his series Fields of Fire and his soon to be published operational series titled Won by the Sword

1:35 Discussion with First Minnesota Historical Wargaming Society (BGG guild 875) sparkplugs Lt. Jason and Gordo. We discuss the club and expanding the hobby.

2:43 Wrap up: On our wargaming desk, shout outs and Guns, Dice, Butter news.

On iTunes, GDB website and elsewhere on the web.
31 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lt us know if Ben Hull makes that spreadsheet of MPBS battles, that'll be useful.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great episode. Thanks for putting it together.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

And speaking of free 30 years war ebooks:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/15410154
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, always enjoy your podcasts. Is there a thread somewhere that I can subscribe to where you post when there's a new postcast?

Just want to make sure I don't miss any.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Consimworld. Can't post the link here or BGG boys & girls delete (they have a policy against posting links from outside of BGG).

Go to Consimworld. Forums. Consim Cafe. Guns, Dice, Butter folder.

I do post on BGG when new episode is up. Should have the next one up by May 1. Conversation with the designer (a very cool surprise) on episode XX is tomorrow. Just need to conduct the other conversation (with friends of the show on "War by other means") in the next week or two and then mix.

Just passed 40k downloads of Guns podcasts today. Great to see the audience growing significantly.

12 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd. Every game entry in the entire database has a section for external links. That's built right into BGG! Perhaps you can post external ones in the forum.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
Odd. Every game entry in the entire database has a section for external links. That's built right into BGG! Perhaps you can post external ones in the forum.


Surely you don't expect things to be consistent?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Consimworld. Can't post the link here or BGG boys & girls delete (they have a policy against posting links from outside of BGG).

Go to Consimworld. Forums. Consim Cafe. Guns, Dice, Butter folder.

I do post on BGG when new episode is up. Should have the next one up by May 1. Conversation with the designer (a very cool surprise) on episode XX is tomorrow. Just need to conduct the other conversation (with friends of the show on "War by other means") in the next week or two and then mix.

Just passed 40k downloads of Guns podcasts today. Great to see the audience growing significantly.



Here? I've never seen BGG delete external links before.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David -- Thank you for the affirming segment with Jason and Gordo, a passionate call to arms...

Very interesting to hear Jason on the other side of the interviewer's questions. And I enjoyed your interview style with Gordon ("Where the hell did you come from?").

Yes, you must try try Karp's Vietnam, if you say you are a monstergamer!

-- Best regards, Volko
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Volko. Yes, Jason is beating the drum for Vietnam (after the current game of EiA and then La Grande Guerre).

----

I've had at least 5 posts deleted due to containing external links. Hence, why I no longer post them on BGG. I do post them in the GDB folder on Consimworld when I think they may be of interest to listeners.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh by the way, I was born in a Minneapolis hospital. I wonder if it's the same one?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
I've never seen BGG delete external links before.


I suspect if the BGG admins think that the links amount to advertising, they will remove them. I can see how they would think that a link to a podcast is the equivalent of advertising.


Found that I was about 5 episodes behind. Looking forward to catching up.

In episode XVIII you mentioned Walter Bruhn in regards to being a big EiA fan on BGG. You may have meant Warren Bruhn. He plays quite a bit of EiA locally here in the Portland area.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
MarkEJohnson wrote:
Odd. Every game entry in the entire database has a section for external links. That's built right into BGG! Perhaps you can post external ones in the forum.


Surely you don't expect things to be consistent?


Yes I do, and don't call me Shirley...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:
I've never seen BGG delete external links before.


I suspect if the BGG admins think that the links amount to advertising, they will remove them. I can see how they would think that a link to a podcast is the equivalent of advertising.


Found that I was about 5 episodes behind. Looking forward to catching up.

In episode XVIII you mentioned Walter Bruhn in regards to being a big EiA fan on BGG. You may have meant Warren Bruhn. He plays quite a bit of EiA locally here in the Portland area.


He posts some good EiA session reports on BGG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
He posts some good EiA session reports on BGG.


I know he really enjoys them. He also brought me into a campaign game of The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen, which was a great experience.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
David -- Thank you for the affirming segment with Jason and Gordo, a passionate call to arms...

Very interesting to hear Jason on the other side of the interviewer's questions. And I enjoyed your interview style with Gordon ("Where the hell did you come from?").


Unnerving, that. Hello, verbal tics! Ya know, ya know, ya know . . . .gah. A ton o’ fun, though.

As has been watching First Minnesota mushroom over the past year. I know recruiting isn’t everyone’s thing, and that’s cool, but hopefully people realize it’s no lost cause. What’s more, it’s not even a 1-3 attack. Just a lot of time spent grinding on the 1-1 column.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
Volko wrote:
David -- Thank you for the affirming segment with Jason and Gordo, a passionate call to arms...

Very interesting to hear Jason on the other side of the interviewer's questions. And I enjoyed your interview style with Gordon ("Where the hell did you come from?").


Unnerving, that. Hello, verbal tics! Ya know, ya know, ya know . . . .gah. A ton o’ fun, though.

As has been watching First Minnesota mushroom over the past year. I know recruiting isn’t everyone’s thing, and that’s cool, but hopefully people realize it’s no lost cause. What’s more, it’s not even a 1-3 attack. Just a lot of time spent grinding on the 1-1 column.


My god the past few weeks we have had at least 6-7 wargames going at once continuously throughout the night on Friday. The more people see that the more they want to come out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Unnerving, that. Hello, verbal tics! Ya know, ya know, ya know . . . .gah. A ton o’ fun, though.

Hey, that's like worrying too much about getting all the rules right. The fun's the thing, of course!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
In episode XVIII you mentioned Walter Bruhn in regards to being a big EiA fan on BGG. You may have meant Warren Bruhn. He plays quite a bit of EiA locally here in the Portland area.


Yep, Warren, that's me. Thanks for the mention.

I just listened to GDB ep XVIII. That was the first episode that I ever listened to. It was excellent! The interview with Harry Rowland was great.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very early episode (I think Episode V) of GDB that also features Mr.Rowland; he's been on twice. Guild here that provides all the info on the episodes:

Guns, Dice, Butter

Just finishing up the mixing of episode XX (which always takes a full day of work...another 3+hour episode arrrh

I will publish later this week; it was a very fun episode to do
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.