Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking to get into disk wars as I think it fits what I am looking for from Warhammer. I was wondering if anyone could comment on what I have to do to field my 2 favorite armies, Lizardmen and Wood Elves.

What do the armies look like in broad strokes? If I just want to have these factions, could I get by without the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty much impossible to say anything definitive about the Lizardmen because they haven't been released yet.

As for the game, Diskwars is different than Warhammer in that you needn't specialize in purchases to field a decent army, and in fact, there's little point to doing it.

If you want to be build a wood elf army, just buy the core set and you have that along with three other armies. It's a great bargain and it allows you to play with people who don't own the game too.

The expansion will feature a lizardman regiment, I believe, but not enough for a large force yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
It's pretty much impossible to say anything definitive about the Lizardmen because they haven't been released yet.

As for the game, Diskwars is different than Warhammer in that you needn't specialize in purchases to field a decent army, and in fact, there's little point to doing it.

If you want to be build a wood elf army, just buy the core set and you have that along with three other armies. It's a great bargain and it allows you to play with people who don't own the game too.

The expansion will feature a lizardman regiment, I believe, but not enough for a large force yet.

There's a wood elf regiment in the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick lesson on game terms:

All armies are broken into Regiments, led by Heroes. The Hero you choose determines the race and number of army points you have to fill out his Regiment.

The core set has four armies, each with three Regiments. The Wood Elves are one of those armies.

Personally, I have never played anything over a two Regiment per player battle yet, though I'm looking forward to it eventually.

If you're really into army building, having more than one core set gives you more army building options. But I would recommend just starting with one core set. If you like it, you can always buy another to expand your possibilities.

The expansion with the Lizardmen will have a Dwarf Army, along with some units for the existing armies, and a Regiment for Lizardmen and another race. I forget which.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
A quick lesson on game terms:

All armies are broken into Regiments, led by Heroes. The Hero you choose determines the race and number of army points you have to fill out his Regiment.

The core set has four armies, each with three Regiments. The Wood Elves are one of those armies.

Personally, I have never played anything over a two Regiment per player battle yet, though I'm looking forward to it eventually.

If you're really into army building, having more than one core set gives you more army building options. But I would recommend just starting with one core set. If you like it, you can always buy another to expand your possibilities.

The expansion with the Lizardmen will have a Dwarf Army, along with some units for the existing armies, and a Regiment for Lizardmen and another race. I forget which.

Also sorry, I was being dumb and I didn't realize you specified woodelf army in the base set.

Ahhh, thanks. The play example video I watched had Orks vs Empire demoing the introduction game, and I assumed that's all there was in the core set.

The info for this called out woodelves in addition to Lizardmen (and of course dwarves). That's why I thought the woodelves were only added in this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem.

Yes, the base set has three regiments for:

Empire
Wood Elves
Orcs
Chaos.

Glad I could clear things up.

As an aside, I love this game. I have always enjoyed the idea of a miniature game, but always been put off by the sheer amount of money and time (both in preparation and playtime). I was also a huge fan of the original Diskwars, though there were rules and elements I didn't care for.

This game hits a real sweet spot, and the more I play it, the more I feel like it captures a miniature game in a portable, streamlined form. The armies play differently without being overly complicated, and the ability to semi-randomly generate the battlefield and the nature of the objective system guarantee plenty of replayability. Add that it is incredibly portable, I'd say it's just one of the best games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to get into the standard WH fantasy stuff, but the expense involved really made me hesitate (The painting would be daunting too, but fun).

I read a bunch of the codices, and it was really the Lizardmen and the Woodelves that gelled for me in terms of flavor and tactics. Yet, the expense and not really being able to introduce it to my group are too big of a barrier.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I could introduce to my group and get a lot of play out of.

This video really cemented it for me and made me try to figure out the deal with the factions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwoj20SJBN0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
No problem.

Yes, the base set has three regiments for:

Empire
Wood Elves
Orcs
Chaos.

Glad I could clear things up.

As an aside, I love this game. I have always enjoyed the idea of a miniature game, but always been put off by the sheer amount of money and time (both in preparation and playtime). I was also a huge fan of the original Diskwars, though there were rules and elements I didn't care for.

This game hits a real sweet spot, and the more I play it, the more I feel like it captures a miniature game in a portable, streamlined form. The armies play differently without being overly complicated, and the ability to semi-randomly generate the battlefield and the nature of the objective system guarantee plenty of replayability. Add that it is incredibly portable, I'd say it's just one of the best games I own.

Wood Elves are NOT in the core box, it's High Elves in the core set.

As for fielding Wood Elves and Lizard men, both will have a single regiment available in the upcoming Hammer and Hold expansion, which will feature 3 regiments of Dwarves. It will not have enough disks to field a full Wood Elf or full Lizardmen army. You could however, field them together and have a Wood Elf/Lizardmen army, or you could do Wood Elves/High Elves with the core.

Otherwise the above is correct. There is also another expansion, Legions of Darkness coming out at the same time. It will feature 3 regiments of Vampire Counts, with a single regiment each of Skaven and Dark Elves.

Both expansions will also include new terrian, command cards, and disks for the core armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:
I'm looking to get into disk wars as I think it fits what I am looking for from Warhammer. I was wondering if anyone could comment on what I have to do to field my 2 favorite armies, Lizardmen and Wood Elves.

What do the armies look like in broad strokes? If I just want to have these factions, could I get by without the core set?

You will need the core set as it contains the range rulers, basic instructions, command cards, deployment cards, dice, counters, etc, etc...

This is a GREAT game. I hope you enjoy it, I know that I have. I love mini's, but just don't have the time for them anymore, this game scratches that itch perfectly for me. If you want more details about the game there are several good reviews in this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. I don't know a lot about Warhammer and thought I read they were wood elves. My mistake. Thanks for the correction, Mecha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the info. I realize now that this expansion hasn't even dropped yet, but I appreciate all of the info everyone's supplied.

I am most excited about the woodelves as I think they will have high mobility and shooting and I figure they might be stronger (certainly cheaper) than they are as miniatures (according to a bunch of forums on WH fantasy).

I think I might just stick to faction pure armies, although I could imagine the Lizardmen and the Woodelves making some sort of an alliance in a group battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I realize now that this expansion hasn't even dropped yet, but I appreciate all of the info everyone's supplied.

I am most excited about the woodelves as I think they will have high mobility and shooting and I figure they might be stronger (certainly cheaper) than they are as miniatures (according to a bunch of forums on WH fantasy).

I think I might just stick to faction pure armies, although I could imagine the Lizardmen and the Woodelves making some sort of an alliance in a group battle.

You wouldn't be able to make a normal 2-regiment army, with just one of these expansions. Also, there is no word yet on how many Wood Elf heroes will be in the box. If they put two in, you could make the 2-regiment army by buying two copies of the expansion, but my guess is that since they aren't the focus of the expansion, that army would be a bit one-dimensional. Same with the Lizardmen. You may want to wait and see what happens as we get more details, if those are the only armies you have real interest in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to stress again that this is not the type of game where you need to "stick" with anything. You are basically getting a ton of content in a little box, and you should feel free to explore its options. This isn't a miniature game where you have to devote yourself to a single faction to have any chance of understanding or winning.

You'll see this when you buy the game, and you'll realize that there is no need to stick with one faction when playing. Orcs are my favorite, but because the game is so easy to set up and play and because it doesn't take a long time, I have played all the other factions and found them appealing. And, normally, I don't care for Elves or Humans in any setting.

While it has a lot in common with miniature games, it is also a great standalone game that plays great out of the box. Don't limit yourself once you get it. Trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
I want to stress again that this is not the type of game where you need to "stick" with anything. You are basically getting a ton of content in a little box, and you should feel free to explore its options. This isn't a miniature game where you have to devote yourself to a single faction to have any chance of understanding or winning.

You'll see this when you buy the game, and you'll realize that there is no need to stick with one faction when playing. Orcs are my favorite, but because the game is so easy to set up and play and because it doesn't take a long time, I have played all the other factions and found them appealing. And, normally, I don't care for Elves or Humans in any setting.

While it has a lot in common with miniature games, it is also a great standalone game that plays great out of the box. Don't limit yourself once you get it. Trust me.

Let me just +1 this sentiment.

My Warhammer army of choice is Tomb Kings, which I suspect that I will never see in this game, that is unless it becomes uber popular. But that hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the game at all. I currently play orcs for the most part, but all armies are fun, and fairly easy to learn, if really difficult to master. But any experience you have with one army will translate in many ways to the others.

All I meant by my last post was that I know some people are 100% dedicated to a specific faction, and I didn't want to see you end up hating the game because you couldn't play a full army of that faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got the core set today at Tabletop day, excited for playing it. Perhaps next week if I am lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.