Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Odd question maybe but for years I've never understood why there is such a strong link between miniature gaming and modelling.
Why there don't seem to be any minis games, that don't require at least some competence in painting.

Other than X-Wing (or Attack Wing) are there any minis games that have a pre-painted option?

Failing that, are there any minis games that have the following:
- Simple (or at least not overly complex rules)
- easy to assemble models
- Interesting background / fluff
- Low model count possible

I know X-Wing should be almost an ideal fit, but I can't quite put my finger on why it isn't. Maybe I'm not a fan of space combat?

Malifaux is definitely almost there, but I hate metal models. Maybe I should have a look at the new 2.0 and plastic minis?

So what lese am I missing? Wild West Exodus sounds great, although the modelling side sounds scary. Deadzone maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature gamers like the painting part best of all. They may or may not actually play games with their toys, that part is optional. Miniature gaming has much more in common with model railroading than it does board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Some miniature gamers like the painting part best of all. They may or may not actually play games with their toys, that part is optional. Miniature gaming has much more in common with model railroading than it does board gaming.

Fixed that for you.

Some of us feel like the OP. I like to play with nice looking miniatures, but I'd much rather play with poorly painted (or unpainted!) miniatures than spend hour after hour making them look nice.

There is a geeklist of games with pre-painted miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
old_gamer wrote:
Fixed that for you.

Item for Geeklist "BGG "sins" -- Things that other BGG users do that irrationally annoy the heck out of you!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

Fair enough. Is there an entry for 'making sweeping statements about the preferences of a diverse group of gamers'?

I'm a miniature gamer. I do not 'like the painting best of all'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourites are:

Leviathans
Tannhäuser
Monsterpocalypse
Krosmaster: Arena (not interesting background)
Claustrophobia (not a minis game, but a boardgame with minis)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
GI Joe Micro Force

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
My favourites are:

Leviathans
Tannhäuser
Monsterpocalypse

Thsnks for this.

Leviathans theme doesn't interest me sadly.

Tannhauser looks good - bit more boardgamey then I was looking for.

I have Krosmaster and Claustrophobia - again more board game then I was looking for.

Monsterpocalypse I thought was defunct now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tannhauser is horrible...

Its a FPS masquerading as a board game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Everett-Lane
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape? Out of print but you can get a base set pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised no one has mentioned Heroclix yet. It's more of a miniatures game than a board game, but everything comes prepainted. Minis are Marvel, DC, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc et. You name the license and there are Clix models for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. maybe I'm not phrasing it properly, or maybe my 'simple' requirement is causing the issue.

I guess I'm looking fro a proper minis game, but one that doesn't require modelling. I'm not sure why the two HAVE to be so intertwined.

I want to comand an army on the table top, move around hills, head for high ground, control vital areas.

I just don't want to paint the things!

I want to select my army, read about the factions involved, have multiple factions to chose from etc - I want all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is AT-43 still around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
Ok. maybe I'm not phrasing it properly, or maybe my 'simple' requirement is causing the issue.

I guess I'm looking fro a proper minis game, but one that doesn't require modelling. I'm not sure why the two HAVE to be so intertwined.

I want to comand an army on the table top, move around hills, head for high ground, control vital areas.

I just don't want to paint the things!

I want to select my army, read about the factions involved, have multiple factions to chose from etc - I want all that.

Pre-painted miniatures are becoming more available. For example, Gordon and Hague http://www.gordonandhague.com do pre-painted 15mm ACW and are going to be doing Napoleonics in the future.

Ludus Gladiatorius and Ludus Gladiatorius 2 feature pre-painted 28mm minaitures, a board representing the arena and some rules. The rules aren't that good IMO, but the components are nice. There are any number of good gladiator rules out there, you only need a couple of figures on each side, and you don't need any terrain. Sails of Glory has nice figures, and you don't need any ships or terrain for this genre either.

I've also had very good luck buying pre-painted 15m ancient/medieval/Renaissance figures on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Miniature gamers like the painting part best of all. They may or may not actually play games with their toys, that part is optional. Miniature gaming has much more in common with model railroading than it does board gaming.

No, no, no. Minis gamers like intending to paint most of all. We see a cool mini, and we buy it, then it goes into the closet to join the hundreds of other minis we haven't found the time to paint. If we're really lucky, we might find the time to prime a batch, then put them away for a few more years before we do anything more. Actually playing with the minis is, at best, a mythical hobby that we might achieve a few times in a lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Tactics: Revised Core Set comes in a premium Pre-painted starter kit.
All their minis have the pre-painted option.

Great quality, fun game. These guys come pre-primed. I play with them like that and they look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Battleground
Warhammer: Diskwars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand this is a removal from miniatures, so maybe it isn't as interesting, but it gives the same level of focus as miniatures (tactical movement on the battlefield, leading an army in one battle, some terrain effects)

Warhammer: Diskwars

Here's a demo of play I found really helpful in getting a feel of it. I think it's a great video, although weirdly, the host seems to smile a little too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwoj20SJBN0

In a similar vein in that it's not a traditional miniatures game, Ogre comes to mind.

I haven't played either, but I plan to remedy that with Diskwars soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Rarick
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
Test
Dungeon Command
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System will be shipping soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
Hollyhock wrote:
My favourites are:

Leviathans
Tannhäuser
Monsterpocalypse

Thsnks for this.

Leviathans theme doesn't interest me sadly.

Tannhauser looks good - bit more boardgamey then I was looking for.

I have Krosmaster and Claustrophobia - again more board game then I was looking for.

I am at a loss here for your boardgamey comment. Are you meaning you want a game with miniature wargaming mechanics without the restrictions of a board game and comes painted? If so that creature doesn't exist. All the miniature games that come with prepainted miniatures are going to have some board game aspect because the market has yet to show it can support that style of game.

Xwing/Attack Wing are the closes thing to a miniatures game but even they cheat by not allowing true free movement. Miniature board games either use Hex/grid movement or pre-planned movement, whether it is Disk flipping aka Diskwars or specific and limited movement parameters AKA X-wing.

The closes hybrid of the mechanics I have ever seen is Deadzone but it requires a hobbyists patience to assemble.

If you don't mind the rigidness of a hex/grid movement system then you have a couple choices.
Heroscape
Dungeon Command
Dust Tactics
Leviathans
Krosmaster
Monsterpocalypse

Not painted but good sculpts
Dungeon Twister
Any of the FFG gobs of games Doom/descent/gears of war/dozens of others

Not using miniatures
Battle... one of the battle games name eluding me I'll edit when i remember
Disckwars

and a few others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:

It is, but you should still be able to assemble a solid collection for something approaching a reasonable price.

Also, one more rec for Dungeon Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more than a bit surprised that the two most obvious choices haven't been mentioned.

Wings of War (and its successors):

Sails of Glory:

Both DEFINITELY "miniatures games" in the same way X-Wing and Attack Wing are, both with full pre-painted models, and both series (well, 'Wings of Glory' instead of 'Wings of War' - same thing, though) in active print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Xia: Legends of a Drift System will be shipping soon.

A board game that includes some miniatures is not the same as a miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.