Subject: Putting the coal tiles in a cloth bag. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silly question. I hate stacking tiles to pull from during a game. Prefer using a cloth bag.

However in Coal Baron there is a location where you get to pick 5 tiles and keep 1. This player is then allowed to put the 4 discarded tiles either on top OR on the bottom of the stack.

For people who have played the game can you talk about how this impacts the game? I was planning on using a bag for the tiles but now I think it won't work.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah sounds like that would be tough to try and draw the tiles. When we played the Lord Of The Rings game I put the event tiles in a bag because I like drawing from a bag also.

There is a card that allows you to draw the next 3 event tiles and then put them back in any order. When this happens we draw 3 out of the bag and then stack them to the side as those will be the next 3 taken anyway.

For your game though not sure how you could do something like that since you have the option to stack on the top or bottom of the pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn B
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually make a line of 3 or 4 small stacks of tiles and note which is the "front" or "top" of the stack. This makes it easy to manage.

If you draw 5 tiles and do not find what you need, burying 4 or 5 to the "back" or bottom of the stack may allow you to get what you need on the next turn (as you are moving through the stack that much faster). In a different situation, burying tiles that another player needs to the bottom of that stack can feel a very satisfying.

Putting the tiles drawn back on top is useful when you draw 2 or 3 tiles that you want more than one of them. Also, the knowledge of upcoming tiles can influence the selection of objectives or the selection of existing tiles (e.g. when competing for the majority).

I think that looking at the tiles and strategically putting the leftovers on the top or bottom is better than blindly drawing them from a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:

For people who have played the game can you talk about how this impacts the game? I was planning on using a bag for the tiles but now I think it won't work.

Thanks!

It would impact in the tactics of taking the "look at five" spot and then burying what your opponents need tactic. Or just burying all the blacks to the bottom. That screws people over collecting the black coal tiles.

Pulling from a bag would stop this valid tactic from working. Just stack the coal tiles in smaller piles. That's what I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a bag.

If someone wants the tiles to go on top I put them on top of the bag and draw from that before I draw any more from the bag.

If they want the tiles to go on the bottom, I create/add to bottom of a stack for the final tiles to use these after the bag runs out.

It has worked well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Silly question. I hate stacking tiles to pull from during a game. Prefer using a cloth bag.Thanks!

Just out of interest, why? Just curious
Not only does this mess with the game mechanics, because choosing to place on top OR bottom, and choosing the order is a big thing, but a cloth bag takes up more space, looks messier, and slows the game down as people need to grab the bag, open it, rummage around inside, then take one out.
A neat stack of tiles looks nicer (IMO) and much easier to just take the top one off.
You re-fill the mine cart very often through this game, and taking them out of a bag would really slow things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.