Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else disappointing about the stretch goals being offered elsewhere:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-war-cthulhu-a-colle...

Couldn't production of more of the "exclusive" minis delay production of Cthulhu Wars as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas,

if you click on the link in that page (here: http://www.darkregions.com/template/images/books/fiction/wor...)

you will see it only lists the GOOs. I was never under the impression that the GOO figures (or any of the minis EXCEPT the first player markers) were KS exclusives. The KS exclusives, to my understanding were:
A) the first player markers
B) the custom dice
C) the custom gates

I think that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't they selling the "exclusive" figures from their website still too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Nope, I'm not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyberian wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Nope, I'm not!

Well the whole point of kickstarter exclusives is to be special rewards for supporting the project that are unique to those that did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Aren't they selling the "exclusive" figures from their website still too?

They are the leftovers from the first production run. They are more of a "first-run exclusive" than a KS exclusive, really, and I'm absolutely fine with this. They have to produce more miniatures to account for breakage, delivery issues, minimum production numbers, etc. and I don't see why they have to sit on those.

And I don't see why they can't offer non-exclusive miniatures in other projects. My understanding is that CW is destined for future commercial release, not just a single KS production. So why wouldn't they make every effort to commercialize/sell/etc. the miniatures?

Just my two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But those weren't kickstarter exclusive, like Arthur said. The kickstarter just made sure they got made in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim FitzSimons

Suwanee
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmb
The figures being offered are going to be for sale to everyone either as plastic from GEG or eventually as nicer resin casts from Fenris. These are in no way exclusive to the CW KS project and were never described as such. If selling the extra plastic figs helps makes GEG some quick cash I'm all for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawgdoc wrote:
The figures being offered are going to be for sale to everyone either as plastic from GEG or eventually as nicer resin casts from Fenris. These are in no way exclusive to the CW KS project and were never described as such. If selling the extra plastic figs helps makes GEG some quick cash I'm all for it.

I was misinformed thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm completely thrilled when exclusives become not-exclusives. I would want that to happen with every Kickstarter I've ever backed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
I'm completely thrilled when exclusives become not-exclusives. I would want that to happen with every Kickstarter I've ever backed.

Expansion I agree but these were stretch goals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually they are expansions that got unlocked with stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:

Not the individual figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got bonus minis, and you get your name in the game, and you get it all for a lower price than anybody else.

No pity from this Necronomicon Bundle purchaser.

(not that I begrudge the good fortune of KS backers who could afford the game last year when I couldn't, or GEG for needing to make a profit to stay alive)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

+100

small OT:I'm really happy about the SDE Forgotten King Campaign! I really hope it starts a trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Thomas here, if your being sold something as exclusive for backing a project they should honour that.Either that or not offer it the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Valandor wrote:

Not the individual figures.

Just to clarify:

- Gates, dice, first player markers: these are being sold on the GEG website until they run out of them. They are first production run items. They will not be sold afterward.

- Everything else (including stretch goal "collector's edition" miniatures) was never meant to be exclusives, and never stated as such. They can (and will) sell those at different venues and through different means.

Hope this helps. Please note, however, that this is my reading of the situation. I am not affiliated with GEG (unfortunately)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Doesn't matter. No Kickstarter should have exclusives; you alienate the market of people that weren't able to get on during the run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redeye wrote:
I agree with Thomas here, if your being sold something as exclusive for backing a project they should honour that.Either that or not offer it the first place.

I've only agreed with this once and that was for Krosmaster but that's just because that was a train wreck batch of lies and overpriced to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Doesn't matter. No Kickstarter should have exclusives; you alienate the market of people that weren't able to get on during the run.

With game related items sure. These were just duplicated minis for display purposes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Not to get too "meta" but the phrase "KS Exclusive" rarely means what we think it means anymore. As in, most projects that offer them have caveats - e.g. that the "exclusives" will be available at cons, on their own website, or in subsequent KS campaigns. As far as I can tell, the only company that offers truly KS Exclusive components is Cool Mini or Not. That is their business model, for better or worse.

I don't take any position on the "looser" definition of KS Exclusive used by most other companies. It does seem to help generate interest in various game projects, so there is a logic to using them. To the extent that companies may choose to offer them to..err...kickstart their KS campaigns, I do like the idea being floated that "Exclusive" might be a time limited thing - it will be exclusive for one year (or some other determined period of time), and then will be sold after that. KS backers get their sense of "I got something that others can't get!" for a while, and everyone else can relax in the knowledge that it's just a matter of time.

YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

With game related items sure. These were just duplicated minis for display purposes

No. None. At all. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Forgive my overuse of caps, bold, etc., but the post that began this thread is completely misinformed and I intend to end it.

To the best of my memory, as well as based on a 15 second look at the KS page, the figures in question that started this thread were

NEVER

labeled as KS exclusives in any form during or after the KS campaign. They were NOT labeled as exclusives as add-on individual minis to buy (whether for display OR game use).

Go look at the KS page yourself, and you will see that for certain items there reads at the bottom of the image "KICKSTARTER exclusive." NO SUCH WORDS EXIST FOR ANY OF THE GOO ADD-ONS!!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars

Curiously, the plastic gates add-on are NOT labeled as KS exclusives either. I'm not sure if they actually are or not, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redeye wrote:

Agreed. I would prefer no exclusives or promos. They are really irritating for completionists like myself coming in late to the game, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say that I do not like exclusives which are gameplay-oriented, and do not intend to ever offer such.

Here are the "kickstarter exclusives" for Cthulhu Wars:

1) Asenath Waite starting figure
2) H. P. Lovecraft starting figure
3) plastic gate models
4) custom dice
5) collectible figure set

All of these we are forced to produce in higher numbers than the backers, simply to allow for wastage. And yeah, we intend to produce them in even HIGHER numbers so we can keep selling them from our website. It is likely that we will not sell the collectible figure set in any case - we might hand the extras away as prizes at conventions or some such.

In addition, at least one other Cthulhu Wars-based kickstarter has asked for us to provide them with some of the exclusives so they can offer them as rewards. You may well ask, "what is a Cthulhu War-based kickstarter?" It is a kickstarter for a game company in a small company to produce a localized version of the game - in a language which would normally not provide enough sales for us to make a translation on our own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.