Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 412: Old Man Adama Had a Farm
6-Player Daybreak Game going to Kobol

Welcome to the start of BSG 412: Old Man Adama Had a Farm. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius and JasperHawk for their work on the mod tools that will be used.

Our Crew:

GregF - Athena
KraZug - Karl "Helo" Agathon (Pilot)
Flyboy Connor - Lee Adama (Politician)
bayushi_david - Tom Zarek (Military Leader)
oldpear - Romo Lampkin (Politician)
DrWhoLOTR - Gaius Baltar (Support)

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of game.

If, at some point, you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a GeekMail and I'll get you the relevant information.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

There is an expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. After 36 hours of inactivity, I will make your decision for you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

Do note that if there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed.

d10-3 All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

Anything that needs to be communicated privately by me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (Example: "BSG 412: Starbuck - Secret Destiny Use")

d10-4 Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name in caps at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

The game can get much less fun if some players have perfect memories, so if you are quoting another player it may not be from more than one page back.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ. In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colors) you played into a skill check.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand unless it is relevant to the situation.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act.

3 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things for which I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers.
Strategic Planning on any rolls that would aid the Cylons.
Evasive Maneuvers unless the viper is a. destroyed, b. manned, c. it is the last ship protecting a civilian, or d. if there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.

4 I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

5 If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

6 Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.

Despite my best intentions, I will probably make mistakes and miss things. If you see something that looks wrong let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Invitation list:

LL6869
oldpear IN
Shpigulinman
GregF IN
Flyboy Connor IN
KraZug IN

Alternates:

Obvious Child
Boltana
bayushi_david Waiting
DrWhoLOTR Waiting
Hannibal Rex Waitlist full
brunoreturns Waitlist full
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
Battersea
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite. I'm in if needed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinehart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I am also in if needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this Base + Daybreak? I'll join if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same question for me: Base + Daybreak I'll join, I'll also join if Pegasus is added, but try to avoid Exodus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you already have enough alternate players, but I'm available if needed. (If Exodus stays out of this game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

KraZug wrote:
Is this Base + Daybreak? I'll join if so.

This is Base plus Daybreak. No Pegasus; no Exodus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt the alternate list will make it down to me, but I am available if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

brunoreturns wrote:
I highly doubt the alternate list will make it down to me, but I am available if needed.

It looks like we already have enough people on the waitlist, but I am sure another game will start soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Thanks!I've been at the top of the waitlist for ages it seems waiting for a non-Pegasus game. Are we playing with Demetrius? I haven't tried that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

oldpear wrote:
I'm in. Thanks!I've been at the top of the waitlist for ages it seems waiting for a non-Pegasus game. Are we playing with Demetrius? I haven't tried that yet.

We will be going to Kobol, so no Demetrius this game.

Edited for correct destination.

Any questions or things we need to discuss while waiting to see who the rest of the crew will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerfing some characters?

I am really thinking of introducing two fixes to Daybreak characters in my games, namely:

New Zarek's Necessary Steps ability is changed to “Before a player draws a Mutiny Card, you look at the top card of the Mutiny Deck, then place it on the top or the bottom of the deck.”

Hoshi's Organized ability is changed to: “Action: Once per game, if you are not in the “Brig”, activate any three undamaged locations on Galactica, regardless of where you are. You cannot activate a location more than once.

Reason for these fixes: New Zarek is totally overpowered especially when he turns Cylon, and especially without the ability to execute him. Changing his special ability to something resembling a scout seems a good idea. And Hoshi's OPG is usually applied to take the Presidency and use it, and I think that is too powerful and too predictable.

But if you want to play these as written, then we can do that. Though I personally think that especially Zarek approaches Cain's level of brokenness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
Battersea
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I may end up not playing at all, but Base game or Pegasus Investigative Committees?

Case for Pegasus ones: the base game ones are stupidly good.

Case of Base game ones: Base + Daybreak is arguably tilted towards Cylons and this would give them an extra boost they arguably don't need.

I'll leave it with the actual players to mull over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be good with both of those nerfs, though I wasn't planning on taking either character. Odd how Military Leaders are always the ones getting fan-nerfed.

And I slightly prefer Pegasus ICs, but it's not a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much prefer Pegasus style ICs. Haven't really seen Zarek or Hoshi in action, don't mind if they are nerfed or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as Hoshi is concerned, I myself am on the fence. Being able to take the Presidency at will is powerful, but not game-breaking. And he cannot do it while in the Brig.

But Zarek is really a menace. I have played him once, was in a game where someone else played him, and modded a couple of games with him in it. And every time it was Zarek who determined the flow of the game. He turned out to be a Cylon several times, and he never revealed, because his special ability is so influential on the game that he does not want to lose it.

However, I always think that you should give the official rules a chance before adding houserules. So if players in this game have not seen him in action yet, I would hesitate with houseruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for committees: I am good with either form. Daybreak is Cylon-biased, and the decks are diluted somewhat, so regular ICs are OK in my book. But I am fine with the Pegasus-style ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We are still waiting. Which is perfectly fine, since I gave everyone 48 hours to respond.

I have only played daybreak once. Zarek was not in the game, and Hoshi had has miracle token stolen by Baltar, so I haven't had firsthand knowledge of either issue. I have, however, watched some of the PBF games here, and have noticed that Zarek is quite powerful.

Ultimately, I will leave it up to the players. I will put a poll together with all 3 questions as well as anything else that comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinehart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I may not have a vote but if I do...

I prefer with Pegasus IC and as I haven't played a Daybreak game yet, then I'll trust the judgement of others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was going to create a poll, but it might be easier to just ask everyone playing to mention their thoughts in the thread. I am generally going to go with the majority; however, if any of these are game breakers, then let us know and we will leave it as is.

Here are the 3 proposals:

1. Should new Zarek's ability be changed to looking at the top card of the Mutiny deck, and either placing it on the top or the bottom?

2. Should Hoshi's OPG be limited to Galactica locations?

3. Should we use the Pegasus Investigative Committees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
Battersea
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the caveat that I'm only an alternate and obviously my views should only count if I play:

1. Yes to nerfing new Zarek.
2. No to nerfing Hoshi. I think the proposed nerf limits his options too much.
3. Keep them base game (because of game balance).

None of these are die in a ditch and I'll happily defer to strongly held views/the majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Curren
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hey, I am out guys. Have fun, good hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Should new Zarek's ability be changed to looking at the top card of the Mutiny deck, and either placing it on the top or the bottom?
Are Mutiny cards so significant? I don't see it, but I'll have to defer to those more experienced and vote yes.

2. Should Hoshi's OPG be limited to Galactica locations?
As this is an OPG, it should be powerful, so I vote no.

3. Should we use the Pegasus Investigative Committees?
I've never played with this rule. I know that many swear by it. My curiosity gives this a very mild yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [39] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.