Subject: Doubt on first turn procedure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fran Guasch

Barcelona
Catalunya
msg tools
Hi everybody.

I played this fabuolus game just once, around 20? years ago, and just came back to retry.

While re reading the rules, i stumbled on a doubt on the first couple turns movement.

In the Scenario specifies:
1.- Game starts 8:30 AM
2.- Game starts with the UNION moving FIRST.
BUT Somewhere In the rules, seems turn starts with the confederate. So:

Do this means

a) Confederate 1st turn is skipped...(as no confederate reinforcements at 8:30), union moves once, then Confederate enters his troops inmediately at 9:00?

or...

b) Union moves, then Confederate waits half hour for the first brigades to arrive, then Union moves again at 9:00, then, finally the first confederate troops arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game starts with a Union move phase, this it begins in middle of turn 1. That is how I recall it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Guasch

Barcelona
Catalunya
msg tools
Well that should help a bit AP Hill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
It starts at 08:30 and as per the standard game rulebook the Confedarates goes first in every turn unless something different is stated in the play book.
This is however academic as the first confederate units to enter do not enter the game until 09:00 so the first turn 08:30 will have the Union player doing his turn and then move to 09:00 and then the Confederate will have his turn followed by the Union 09:00 turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Guasch

Barcelona
Catalunya
msg tools
So...as you state... Union moves double in the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Corew wrote:
So...as you state... Union moves double in the start.

No unless something else is stated in the playbook the rulebook states that the Confedarate should go first on every turn.

So this is the sequence for the start:

08:30: Confederate player - However the confederate does not have any units to do anything with.

08:30: Union player - Union does his turn.

09:00: Confederate player - Confederates first reinforcements arrive and he starts moving them onto the map.

09:00: Union Player - Union does his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Guasch

Barcelona
Catalunya
msg tools
Thanks... tho I checked again Rules, to remember exactly why is this creating confusion to me.

***Extract from Rules
1.4 Set Up Notes
Aside from any special notes in the
game rules concerning set up, the following
are always true:
6. Except when explicitly stated otherwise,
the Confederate Player Turn is always
first.

*** Extract from TatC specific rules
General Information
All units scheduled to arrive at E instead arrive
one turn later at A38.00 with two MPs expended.
First Turn: 8:30am July 1st. Start play with the UNION
player turn.

Last Turn: 8:00pm July 1st
Total Game Length: 23 turns

a) In the general rulebook, it states clearly confederate player is first, Except when explicitly stated otherwise.

b) In the specific rules, it states the exception... seems union player goes first. Perhaps is just english is non-native to me, but something like "skip confederate first turn as no units available or whatever" could make things clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes if the play-book for Thunder states the Union player have the first turn that is correct.
It will be the same in this game as the Confederate dont have any units until 09:00.

So this is how the start should look to be entirely correct then:

08:30: Union player - Union does his turn.

09:00: Confederate player - Confederates first reinforcements arrive and he starts moving them onto the map.

09:00: Union Player - Union does his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.